Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe Medalion question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
He misses his Tanabe everyday
true that
Old 05-21-2009, 10:48 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I'd bet it would cost more then $100 to work in some Tanabe mufflers and they'd be a lot louder as well. You can get the Medalions for $750 now new, just doesn't sound like it would be worth the effort. It's a pretty popular muffler and I'd bet you can find a used set if your patient enough. Take Knox here, he'll probably run them for a few months and then decide he wants a 3" exhaust and a TT and he'll be looking for you.
HA HA HA....smart ***.

But you might just have a point.....JK
Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 PM
iguess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hrmm......didn't know the "universal" ones on ebay were knock offs. Good thing I asked.
Wish I would have been able to get in on that deal in January when they were $500 shipped. I'll just wait for someone selling it used then.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:54 PM
G-Spot37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know.....a few months ago I saw the Tanabes on ebay at a sale price of $489 for the holidays...best price I have seen to date. I def should have jumped on them then!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:56 PM
iguess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, sucks. Maybe I'll wait for another sale?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:01 PM
G-Spot37s

Personally I would wait. I have basically been waiting on everything. It appears to me that a new mod comes out every day . Take intakes for instance....new one practically every month. That's why I am riding real bone stock at the moment. I'm just running HKS hybrid filters, 6000k D2S bulbs, and LEDs all over, minus the vanity mirrors.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:52 PM
TJHG37S

I predict his next mod after Tanabe exhaust is the y-pipe

Then 1 month later HFCs

U know I'm right Knox...........take another hit off the mod pipe..

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I'd bet it would cost more then $100 to work in some Tanabe mufflers and they'd be a lot louder as well. You can get the Medalions for $750 now new, just doesn't sound like it would be worth the effort. It's a pretty popular muffler and I'd bet you can find a used set if your patient enough. Take Knox here, he'll probably run them for a few months and then decide he wants a 3" exhaust and a TT and he'll be looking for you.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:01 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
I predict his next mod after Tanabe exhaust is the y-pipe

Then 1 month later HFCs

U know I'm right Knox...........take another hit off the mod pipe..
HA HA HA.....ok, I'll be honest, I've already looked at Y-pipes....BUT, I'm letting the credit card plastic cool down a little bit for now. I've gotta try and be somewhat responsible. Plus, I wanna hear what the Tanabe sounds like after install and after break-in.
But I did just buy a new floor jack, jack stands, and some craftsman tools at Sears today.....I'm planning on doing my own oil changes / maintenance. I figure.....why trust my baby to someone who probably just has a summer job as a service tech at my local Infiniti. I'll probably just take it in once a year for in-cabin filter changes, brake service/fluid changes, etc.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:21 PM
TJHG37S

In that case, why not buy a fancy magnetic draink plug from project kics? they got em in several colors on ebay....

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
HA HA HA.....ok, I'll be honest, I've already looked at Y-pipes....BUT, I'm letting the credit card plastic cool down a little bit for now. I've gotta try and be somewhat responsible. Plus, I wanna hear what the Tanabe sounds like after install and after break-in.
But I did just buy a new floor jack, jack stands, and some craftsman tools at Sears today.....I'm planning on doing my own oil changes / maintenance. I figure.....why trust my baby to someone who probably just has a summer job as a service tech at my local Infiniti. I'll probably just take it in once a year for in-cabin filter changes, brake service/fluid changes, etc.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:22 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
In that case, why not buy a fancy magnetic draink plug from project kics? they got em in several colors on ebay....
ACTUALLY....I'm probably going to be sensible and buy one of the Fumoto Oil Drain valves. I've heard nothing but good things about them and it just seems like a smart idea. Plus no need to buy a continuous supply of copper crush washers from the dealership. See? I can be smart....occasionally.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 AM
pharmade

Well, I got my Tanabe Medallion in Friday, late afternoon (I was at work). This morning 9AM, I sprayed down the 4 bolts with PB Blaster, as I have heard this is the hardest part of the installation. IT WAS!! I got 3 of the bolts off with some struggle but the last one was close to being rounded off. Leverage is the key and I finally found a bar that gave me the leverage I needed and it was off. Pulled off the old-installed the new and WOW. It looks great, it sounds great. Not too loud but definitely has that tone everyone talks about. It gives my G37 a new personality and I really like it. I highly recommend the Tanabe for its easy install, very nice quality, great looks and sound. Knoxville your going to love this mod.
Old 05-23-2009, 02:31 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Sounds great man! I'm looking forward to it....UPS says mine will be here Thursday. Planning to install on Friday. Did you jack up your rear end or did you leave it on the ground? I'm looking forward to it.

P.S.-- Time for you to update your sig!

Last edited by KnoxvilleG37; 05-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:59 PM
pharmade

Did you jack up your rear end or did you leave it on the ground? I'm looking forward to it.

P.S.-- Time for you to update your sig![/QUOTE]

My rear end stayed on the ground
Old 05-29-2009, 10:04 PM
KnoxvilleG37

So, today I got to install my Tanabe and WOW....what a difference. I will agree with Black Betty that this isn't a quiet exhaust. But knowing how loud other exhausts are, this one definitely is classy and not terribly loud. It has the OEM sound at startup and idle. Startup DEFINITELY has more bass to it now for sure....more of a growl....but once you start hitting it, the Tanabe really comes to life. The videos that Wakeboardr116 and TimsG37S posted are VERY good descriptors of the Tanabe sound.

Install was a bit of a pain with my OEM exhaust flange bolts. I was able to loosen only 1 of them using PB Blaster spray, so I ran to my local Midas (closest shop to my apt), and they loosened the other 3 bolts with an impact gun for me....for free! That just goes to show there are decent people left in this world.

Ran back home and had the Tanabe on in 15 mins. Also installed a Betty's Garage Grounding Kit (v2.0) today. All went well.....I guess now I'm out of things to mod.

Sorry credit card, your 15 mins are up, no more spending for you!

So, I've heard a LOT of people on here say the Tanabe WILL quiet down after it breaks in....so if that's what will happen, I think I will be VERY satisfied!

With the Injen SRI and the Tanabe, my car sounds like a G on steroids, very big sports car sound.....I think if it tones down a bit, it'll be perfect. Thanks to all of those on here who answered this thread and gave opinions. I'm glad to be a member on here!