Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe Medalion question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:26 AM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by myk1013
Just get it already Justin.

ha ha ha.

I want the Tanabe's as well but I'm looking for burnt tips.
HA HA HA....yeah yeah yeah. I'm really really considering it. And FYI, have you seen the new Invidia exhaust that Lou posted up in the Vendor section with burnt tips?!? Looks sweet!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:50 PM
TJHG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, you're going mod crazy, even moreso than me maybe....

why not sort out your SRI issue first and then if you keep it ENJOY it for a bit before you slap something else on there? Pretty soon you'll be out of all the easy mods to do and will resort to chit like pulleys or fender braces.....and you'll be poor

fight......the.......urge.....
Old 05-19-2009, 02:09 PM
SilverBullet

The Tanabe sounds really good at low rpms. It has a deep and noticeable growl. At higher rpms, it sounds just like stock. The Tanabes did cause some light droning for me. I added the Ichiba y-pipe later, which changed up the sound a bit. Not too much, but made it sound a little bit better because of the increased air flow.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 PM
pharmade

Well, I just wanted to thank you guys. I've been free of the "disease" for a year now and after reading about CAI's, exhausts, etc. I started developing symptoms. Before any intervention could take place I whipped out my plastic and ordered the Tanabe Exhaust. I still shake a little when I read about the R2C Intake, or the new Injen SRI.
Damn you Knoxville, your "Mod disease" is contagious man!! I need help!!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like my Tanabe, Injen CAI combo attack.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:57 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Dude, you're going mod crazy, even moreso than me maybe....

why not sort out your SRI issue first and then if you keep it ENJOY it for a bit before you slap something else on there? Pretty soon you'll be out of all the easy mods to do and will resort to chit like pulleys or fender braces.....and you'll be poor

fight......the.......urge.....
Hahaha...yeah I know. I'm fighting it as much as I can. It's strange how it can turn into an obsession. No credit cards have come out of the wallet yet. You're right, I'm sorting out the Injen issue first. Putting them back on this weekend.

Originally Posted by pharmade
Well, I just wanted to thank you guys. I've been free of the "disease" for a year now and after reading about CAI's, exhausts, etc. I started developing symptoms. Before any intervention could take place I whipped out my plastic and ordered the Tanabe Exhaust. I still shake a little when I read about the R2C Intake, or the new Injen SRI.
HA HA HA.....glad I could help!
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by pharmade
The best thing I've found is to not visit this site. Best cure is to get a nice healthy habbit like World of Warcraft.. that will cure your MOD disease, kind of like curing a heroin addiction with morphine.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
The best thing I've found is to not visit this site. Best cure is to get a nice healthy habbit like World of Warcraft.. that will cure your MOD disease, kind of like curing a heroin addiction with morphine.
Honestly I agree with that statement....I check this website more times in one day than my own email account. LOL. I never planned on doing any mods and keeping my car stock, but when I first joined this site, I was TOLD....you will catch "the bug".....sure enough, here I am. New intakes (still debating if I like them), 5000K HID bulb swap, a GT Spec strut bar to install this weekend, a Black Betty Grounding Kit that I've just ordered, and plans for new Brake Performance slotted/drilled rotors with Project Mu pads, and possibly the Tanabe Medalion exhaust......holy hell Batman!
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Well....the bug bit me. I ended up ordering my Tanabe exhaust tonight! w00t!!!
Donations for the "KnoxvilleG37 Center for Automotive Modification Addiction" can be sent to the following address..... LOL

Thanks for all of the great reviews on here guys. I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
Old 05-20-2009, 07:10 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Congrats man. You're gonna love them.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
iguess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just out of curiousity, what is the difference between this axle-back and welding two tanabe medallion mufflers on?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:33 PM
RedG37SNC

The axle back is just replacing your exhaust with two Tanabe mufflers, no need to weld. Behind the axle is where infiniti put the couplers to allow for muffler replacement, the Tanabe just bolts on as a replacement muffler and since it only replaces from the axle back.. it's called a axle back vs CAT back for a exhaust replacement starting at the CATs. Either that or CAT back has something to do with the JDM cat thing.. I've never understood, it's all so confusing.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-21-2009 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:01 PM
iguess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, thanks for reply. I know axle backs dont require welding. I should have been more clear. Why not just buy two Tanabe mufflers for 200-250 (ebay. Seems like there are some legit sellers) and weld them on. Say 450 for two mufflers. Welding, 100?. 550 seems to beat 800-900 for this axle back. I'm not an exhaust expert, just curious.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by iguess
Hey, thanks for reply. I know axle backs dont require welding. I should have been more clear. Why not just buy two Tanabe mufflers for 200-250 (ebay. Seems like there are some legit sellers) and weld them on. Say 450 for two mufflers. Welding, 100?. 550 seems to beat 800-900 for this axle back. I'm not an exhaust expert, just curious.
Tanabe doesnt make a "for all applications" exhausts like those cheapos they sell in eBay. They are always car specific.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:28 PM
RedG37SNC

I'd bet it would cost more then $100 to work in some Tanabe mufflers and they'd be a lot louder as well. You can get the Medalions for $750 now new, just doesn't sound like it would be worth the effort. It's a pretty popular muffler and I'd bet you can find a used set if your patient enough. Take Knox here, he'll probably run them for a few months and then decide he wants a 3" exhaust and a TT and he'll be looking for you.

Quick Reply: Tanabe Medalion question