Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Another Megan Exhaust Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:57 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another Megan Exhaust Review

Intro

To start off, I have a 34 Month lease with my G37. When I look at mods, I want something I can put on... but also take off. I am also not looking for over priced mods, because its coming off one day anyways. Saying that, I also dont want to spend to much money on them as well, so the Megan Exhaust made the most sense to purchase. I all though have the addiction of modding cars, so I have to find a medium. I recently put on R2C Intakes which is the only mechanical mods I have on before this Exhaust.

Receiving

I ordered through HP Autoworks, and as usual great service, price, and this thing shipped fast!! The packaging was great, I imagine it was already packaged by the out sourced factory in Taiwan to make the big trip to the USA. The welds looked clean, and the product was not damaged.

Installation.

Tools on hand
-2 Wood Blocks to raise Car
- Wrench
- 14mm Socket
- 2 hammers
- 2 chizzles
- 1 Hidden Grinder
- Vise Grips

Tools an expert would have
- Impact Wrench
- Lift
Before I purchased this exhaust, I saw a great reveiw and installation video from a fellow myg37 member. She was Tiger Woods making golf look easy. Mind you, I have never took out an exhaust, but watching her do it made it look easy. Was I in for a world of trouble. As you know, 2 bolts hold each pipe secured to the system followed by 3 hangers. The car has 17k miles on, so the bolts are pretty worn in. I PB plasted the crap out of all 4. After a couple of hours of spray and pull, it was time to bust out the hammer. Im doing this with my step dad, and a friend with a decent amount of car mechanical knowledge. He went to UTI, so I hope he does at least. The step dad is just standing over my head, and keeps on saying over and over again, "man for 60 bucks, you can have someone do it for you." I dont know... I just like the personal satisfaction of doing it at home. Anyways, 3 bolts finally come lose. On the 4th bolt though, War was on the horizon. After hammering a wrench a 100 times, it did not give at all, infact it rounded it pretty bad. We chizzled it for 2 hours trying to break it off, which was not working. Finally at 10pm, the wise old step dad finally mentions he has a grinder. So after almost 2 and half hours on that one stupid bolt, it gets cut in half and finally falls off. After that, it was all finally easy. The hangers were no problem to deal with. The new exhaust is a lot lighter, and went in pretty easily. The Gaskets did not fit correctly, they were a little to big. But we got them on. After everything was all bolted on, its time to remove the silencers. If you watched that fellow myg37 video, she unscrews the two bolts, and it slides off so beautifully........... Well, I tried... took the two bolts off. Pull on it, no budge. Get the vise Grips off, still no budge. Spray a ton of WD40 and PB blaster, still no budge. Drive it around for a bit to see if the heat losens it up, still no budge. Spray it again with PB, use two grips and twist it in a circular motion...... still no budge. We installed it last night, and today I had to drive to work with silencers on The tips have rivets on them so I dont think you can remove them without destroying them.

How to take the silencers off

If they do not slide off, you will need to use one of 2 tools.
Easy way: Get a slide hammer with a hook end. Just hook the end of the silencer inside the muffler. Slide the hammer until they pop out.
The Mexican Slide hammer Way: Tools Needed: Crowbar, vice grips, hammer. Put the hook end of the crowbar inside the muffler and hook it on the end of the silencer. Apply the vice grips on the butt end of the crowbar. Hammer towards you until they pop out. You might have to rotate the hook point around the muffler.

Final Impressions

Well, installation sucked, but thats not Megans Fault. It went on easy. For sound.. I cant rate yet, cause I still have silencers on. Until I can removed those, I will update with impressions and screen shots. The only negative thing I have to say is that the silencers should not be this hard to take out. They are now damaged because of the brute force you have to use. Theres a risk of also ruining the tips trying to pry them out. I understand only some exhaust come with this problem because the screws that held them in place were on too tight. The Sound is very very very amazing. It just sounds right, kindof keeps the stock sound with a louder and deeper roar. No Drone and is quite on idle. Start up sounds great. Hopefully this weekend I can get a Dyno, but I never did expect any gains from this, I mostly getting a Dyno for the R2Cs. But I will post the results here. For now, there is another thread posted with someone way better looking than me, with some great before and after sound clips.

Lessons Learned

If you plan to purchase an exhaust system and if you do not have am impact wrench. Just pay the 60 bucks for an hours labor.

Posted on 5/14/09
Updated 5/14/09

Last edited by djkmac; 05-14-2009 at 11:42 PM. Reason: Update
Old 05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by djkmac
Intro

To start off, I have a 34 Month lease with my G37. When I look at mods, I want something I can put on... but also take off. I am also not looking for over priced mods, because its coming off one day anyways. Saying that, I also dont want to spend to much money on them as well, so the Megan Exhaust made the most sense to purchase. I all though have the addiction of modding cars, so I have to find a medium. I recently put on R2C Intakes which is the only mechanical mods I have on before this Exhaust.

Receiving

I ordered through HP Autoworks, and as usual great service, price, and this thing shipped fast!! The packaging was great, I imagine it was already packaged by the out sourced factory in Taiwan to make the big trip to the USA. The welds looked clean, and the product was not damaged.

Installation.

Tools on hand
-2 Wood Blocks to raise Car
- Wrench
- 14mm Socket
- 2 hammers
- 2 chizzles
- 1 Hidden Grinder
- Vise Grips

Tools an expert would have
- Impact Wrench
- Lift
Before I purchased this exhaust, I saw a great reveiw and installation video from a fellow myg37 member. She was Tiger Woods making golf look easy. Mind you, I have never took out an exhaust, but watching her do it made it look easy. Was I in for a world of trouble. As you know, 2 bolts hold each pipe secured to the system followed by 3 hangers. The car has 17k miles on, so the bolts are pretty worn in. I PB plasted the crap out of all 4. After a couple of hours of spray and pull, it was time to bust out the hammer. Im doing this with my step dad, and a friend with a decent amount of car mechanical knowledge. He went to UTI, so I hope he does at least. The step dad is just standing over my head, and keeps on saying over and over again, "man for 60 bucks, you can have someone do it for you." I dont know... I just like the personal satisfaction of doing it at home. Anyways, 3 bolts finally come lose. On the 4th bolt though, War was on the horizon. After hammering a wrench a 100 times, it did not give at all, infact it rounded it pretty bad. We chizzled it for 2 hours trying to break it off, which was not working. Finally at 10pm, the wise old step dad finally mentions he has a grinder. So after almost 2 and half hours on that one stupid bolt, it gets cut in half and finally falls off. After that, it was all finally easy. The hangers were no problem to deal with. The new exhaust is a lot lighter, and went in pretty easily. The Gaskets did not fit correctly, they were a little to big. But we got them on. After everything was all bolted on, its time to remove the silencers. If you watched that fellow myg37 video, she unscrews the two bolts, and it slides off so beautifully........... Well, I tried... took the two bolts off. Pull on it, no budge. Get the vise Grips off, still no budge. Spray a ton of WD40 and PB blaster, still no budge. Drive it around for a bit to see if the heat losens it up, still no budge. Spray it again with PB, use two grips and twist it in a circular motion...... still no budge. We installed it last night, and today I had to drive to work with silencers on The tips have rivets on them so I dont think you can remove them without destroying them.

Final Impressions

Well, installation sucked, but thats not Megans Fault. It went on easy. For sound.. I cant rate yet, cause I still have silencers on. Until I can removed those, I will update with impressions and screen shots. The only negative thing I have to say is that the silencers should not be this hard to take out. They are now damaged because of the brute force you have to use. Theres a risk of also ruining the tips trying to pry them out. I understand only some exhaust come with this problem because the screws that held them in place were on too tight. Hopefully this weekend I can get a Dyno, but I never did expect any gains from this, I mostly getting a Dyno for the R2Cs. But I will post the results here. For now, there is another thread posted with someone way better looking than me, with some great before and after sound clips.

Advice

If you plan to purchase an exhaust system and if you do not have am impact wrench. Just pay the 60 bucks for an hours labor.

Posted on 5/14/09

good review but you have it flipped... you shouldnt expect gains from the Intake and SHOULD expect gains from your exhaust... read up a lil bro and you will see this all over the forum
Old 05-14-2009, 02:20 PM
gan78mao

video clips please!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
djkmac

The R2C was tested on a couple different G37s. Some had gains, some didnt, I guess every engine in the g37 is different. I wanted to see If I got the luck of the draw. I guess it doesnt make sense as you pointed out since now I have the Exhaust on lol.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
yea and it would kinda be a pain to uninstall the exhaust for accurate numbers... If you want some more easy power check out a Ypipe from HP auto works.... the Y and the Muffler are the 2 most restrictive pieces on the g37... should give you nice CHEAP power...
Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I got a chuckle from your nightmarish install experience. It shouldn't be that hard. Take a good look at the tips and make sure you've removed everything you need to in order to get the silencers out. Keep in mind that your difficult experience will help others and also make it much easier for you next time around. It took me less than half hour to do my axle back without lifting the car and just over an hour to install a cat back. It gets easier with practice.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
djkmac

I was looking into that as the next thing and last thing. Will put up a review on how well all 3 are working together when everyhing is complete. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
djkmac

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I got a chuckle from your nightmarish install experience. It shouldn't be that hard. Take a good look at the tips and make sure you've removed everything you need to in order to get the silencers out. Keep in mind that your difficult experience will help others and also make it much easier for you next time around. It took me less than half hour to do my axle back without lifting the car and just over an hour to install a cat back. It gets easier with practice.
Yeah, This was a learning experience for sure haha. It was a nightmare, but its the beautiful thing of modding a car. Its all swet and tears, but when it all works in the end, you get a good feeling out of it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:07 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
I jsut installed mine two days ago and was hoping you would have some great tip on removing the silencer. Mine seem to be on pretty tight as well. As for the install, I lifted the car using the spare tire tool and got under there pretty easy. Some PB blaster made removing the exhaust from the hangers relatively easy. About an hour all together to remove the stock unit and mount the Megan and this is my first time installing an exhaust.
Any one have tip on removing these silencers
Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
djkmac

There are a couple Tips, Although none have worked for me.
-Lube between the silencer and muffler with wd40 or PB every hour for 2 hours.
-Twist in a circular motion with vise grips
-heat up the exhaust and than try
-put two feet on the tip of the exhaust, and pull with all force.

Im just kindof scared pulling on this thing, cause It seems I might pull the whole tip out lol. Im at work today, and I have a 1 hour drive home through traffic, im gonna hit every bump on the way there as well, and than try to pull it off.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:43 PM
djkmac

Updated with silencer take off instructions and sound impressions.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:52 PM
alexdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gan78mao
video clips please!
^^^ +1!!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:12 AM
911turbo
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
where did you order the Megan from and how much?
Old 05-15-2009, 09:24 AM
djkmac

Pm hp auto. He will hook it up.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
37drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You don't need air tools. Taking a peek under the car, I didn't even consider firing up the compressor for this project. My G has 26k on it and it has weathered Central NY harse winters and salt on the roads. Soak the parts to be removed in PB Blaster the night before. If you have the right tools, it's not too big of a problem. Even if (In a worse case scenario) you start off by cutting the bolts, it shouldn't take any long than an hour or hour and a half.

Granted, I'm not new to this sort of installation by any stretch of the imagination, so maybe I had an advantage knowing what I was up against.

+1 for the Mexican Slide hammer. I made something similar to remove my left hand silencer. The right side really did just slide out. Didn't include it in my video because I figured since it was only on the left side that it was just my specific muffler that had a stuck silencer. Not a big deal at all.

Sound is amazing. I'll never put those things back in anyway.

Quick Reply: Review Another Megan Exhaust Review