Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Injen CAI VS. Stillin Gen 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:52 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^hahahahahahah! LOL!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
LMaooooooooooo hahahahah @ Joe....wow
Old 05-13-2009, 07:08 PM
StopTheExcuses

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
INJEN all the way. This is my second CAI from them (First was on an 03 Accord V6 6mt) and the fitment was PERFECT. Nice throaty sound, noticeable increase in throttle response and mpg. Maybe it's just me but I DO have a problem with dremmeling holes into a brand new chassis just to install a CAI, that's why the Stillen was a no go for me. I do however recommend the Stillen exhaust.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats right baby... injens are amazing ... love them!!
Old 05-14-2009, 06:28 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Honestly for the gains vs pains you'll get from the above intakes I'd forgo intakes all together and just get an axleback exhaust like the Tanabe Medalion. You only really hear the intake opening up the throttle above 3K and most of the gains folks are talking about are in the high RPMS just before redline. The stock intake is very good, but our y-pipe and mufflers... suck. With the exhaust you'll get a lower idle tone and much sportier sound at any RPM. The Tanabe can be had for the same price or near abouts and is easy to install yourself. It's also one of the best looking exhaust both in quality which matches the G37 perfectly and it's dual cansiter look which won't get smashed if you decide later to drop the car.. at least on Eibachs. I'm not sure of availability for the Xs Sedan but it's worth a look. The megan racing exhaust is even cheaper. Take a look at the many videos on the forum for examples.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-14-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:20 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
^^^ Uhhh... I guess you missed the dynos by some members for the Injen. Bone stock is 16.5whp and bone stock dyno for Stillen 3G, which I did, was 14.5whp. Let alone the fact that the A/F ratio is way off for the 3G, Injen is the far better choice.
Can someone point me in the direction of these dynos?

The Stillen gained 3HP and lost 4 Ft/Lbs of TQ on a recent 370Z dyno I saw. I really think intakes are pretty much a complete waste, but I would like to talk myself into one. I guess I should say I think short-ram style intakes are a waste (unless you are going for the sound, which is OK). The jury is still out on cold-air style intakes for me, and I am trying to decide....

EDIT to the above: I should add that the Stillen Gen 3 dyno on the 370Z was done with the bumper cover on. With the cover off they gained an additional 10HP (which pretty much matches what sTiLLBaLLiN37 got). This bodes well for the G since the filters sit behind the grill. On the 370Z they are trapped behind the closed bumper and front crash guard.

Last edited by jran76; 05-14-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:34 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ew-thread.html
Old 05-14-2009, 07:38 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...-dyno-fun.html
Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by jran76
I guess I should say I think short-ram style intakes are a waste (unless you are going for the sound, which is OK). The jury is still out on cold-air style intakes for me, and I am trying to decide....
You won't get much argument from many of the folks on here, although this customer run dyno doesn't seem to support that thought. There's other aspects to consider as well.. like engine protection & maintanence. Oiled cotton gause filters may be great for race cars.. but not for street cars. Even Injen has caught up with that finally... they just didn't pick the best filter tech available.

R2C vs Gen3

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-14-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:29 PM
jran76

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Thank you, thank you.

Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
You won't get much argument from many of the folks on here, although this customer run dyno doesn't seem to support that thought. There's other aspects to consider as well.. like engine protection & maintanence. Oiled cotton gause filters may be great for race cars.. but not for street cars. Even Injen has caught up with that finally... they just didn't pick the best filter tech available.

R2C vs Gen3
So.... I have seen that, and that is the main reason I am asking about dynos. Where did that dyno come from?

I have done quite a bit of research, and some people that I trust as much as anyone in this industry, seem to think it is a complete waste (Cobb and John Concialdi). I would like to weigh some of the options out there, and R2C is interesting. At least from what I have seen it is the best filter technology, and it is well designed with heat shields. They also came out and said in some cases they were seeing very small gains (I like that at least they are honest too...). The dyno looks great, but seems atypical based on even what R2C said (or the Stillen is really awful).
Old 05-16-2009, 02:59 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by jran76
Thank you, thank you.

So.... I have seen that, and that is the main reason I am asking about dynos. Where did that dyno come from?

I have done quite a bit of research, and some people that I trust as much as anyone in this industry, seem to think it is a complete waste (Cobb and John Concialdi). I would like to weigh some of the options out there, and R2C is interesting. At least from what I have seen it is the best filter technology, and it is well designed with heat shields. They also came out and said in some cases they were seeing very small gains (I like that at least they are honest too...). The dyno looks great, but seems atypical based on even what R2C said (or the Stillen is really awful).
I received this from R2C. All R2C's dynos use an independent shop and have the owner of the car as the observer while they oversee the system installations. I too happen to believe real intake performance gains are minimal and very hard to evaluate thanks to ECU learning. Some say 15min is enough, others would say 400 miles. Even moving the car off the dyno to allow for proper adjustment can have an impact as well as conditions. I replaced mine for the looks, sound, better filters and maintainability any gains are a plus. This dyno lines up so well I'd have real doubts about this CAI being worth the pain.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 05-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM
G-Spot37s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the exact thread I have been searching for for soooooooo many months. I haven't dont intakes because I have been told by many that they dont do sh*t but make noise and look "shiny" under the hood. I am running HKS hybrid filters and they appear to be better than stock, although they really don't do anything. Thank you very much RedG37SNC You are the man.