Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

My Borla Review...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:25 PM
G35Tuning

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Borla Review...

For starters I'd like to point out I have Berk HFC's and I combined them with a Borla Exhaust today...

DISCLAIMER: I've never seen or heard the Borla in person...I purchased based on reviews and sound clips online...

Thus far I think I may have made a mistake...I have an incredible amount of rasp (probably in large part due to the HFC's)...They sound GREAT upon startup...Very deep and aggressive...They sound good in the lower RPM's and they scream in the higher rpms...The rattling and rasp is kinda "cheap" sounding? Atleast thats what I'm hearing from them...I stood outside the car while my brother drove it away and I really didn't look the rattling and rasping in the higher rpms...

I had my brother drive it and he had the same review...Loved it at some points, hated it at others...

Inside the tunnel and at WOT the car is about as scary loud as I've ever heard (I actually enjoyed that part)...We both loved it to be honest....

As for power gains? What gains? I did NOT do a before and after dyno...However, I used the same shop and same dyno that we installed my Berk HFC's on nearly 1 year ago today...Weather, humidity, and temp were relatively similar...Today was 8 degrees warmer then on my Berk Dyno...

I ended up LOSING 2whp and 2lb tq through 3 of the 4 dyno pulls...One of the pulls had me gain about 5whp in the top end...

I have to say I was shocked and really upset with those results....NO, I wasnt expecting 20whp...But I figured with the high yields this has gotten from others on the forum that 10-12whp should have been EASY...I was wrong...I'm assuming my Berks had something to do with this...But MaxtotheG37 had the same combo and got huge results so I'm unclear as to what the f is going on...

Not sure what to do at this point...I'm considering selling them already (although I'll be eating the costs of an extra install and reduced priced Borla for sale)...

I'll keep them on for a couple days to see if I get adjusted to them...
Old 05-09-2009, 12:11 AM
TJHG37S

Did you reset the ECU? Try that, or give it a few days and then see how it is, the ECU has to learn..

I would've waited a few days THEN done a dyno, but yeah you should not be seeing losses for fooksakes.

Glad I heard about the rasp, this was near the top of my list for next mods but now maybe it's a FI or MXP...can't have rasp, hate it.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:24 PM
TIMMAY

why sell both of them?.. just sell the HFC's.. you may like the Borla alone?..
Old 05-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by TIMMAY
why sell both of them?.. just sell the HFC's.. you may like the Borla alone?..
you will most probably like the Borla, the HFC's are causing the rasp im pretty sure..
Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
the HFC's are probably causing the rasp... you should give it a little time for break in. i have the same set up and it is only raspy if i punch it on a cold start. after the engine warms up, it's fine, after about 2 minutes?
Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the borla too. The borla exhaust alone sounds sweet. Had it for about three days now and I love the sound. Though I'm having some issues with a weird noise coming from the front of the car, underneath. Also I can't slow rev past 4000rpm's. As far as the noise it might be the actual install, not the exhaust itself. Taking car back to get it checked out.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
ghostfaced37

I have the same setup
I noticed gains on my butt dyno
Great exhaust... i understand what your talking bout with the rasp n all.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:52 PM
AJQuiles
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G35Tuning
For starters I'd like to point out I have Berk HFC's and I combined them with a Borla Exhaust today...

DISCLAIMER: I've never seen or heard the Borla in person...I purchased based on reviews and sound clips online...

Thus far I think I may have made a mistake...I have an incredible amount of rasp (probably in large part due to the HFC's)...They sound GREAT upon startup...Very deep and aggressive...They sound good in the lower RPM's and they scream in the higher rpms...The rattling and rasp is kinda "cheap" sounding? Atleast thats what I'm hearing from them...I stood outside the car while my brother drove it away and I really didn't look the rattling and rasping in the higher rpms...

I had my brother drive it and he had the same review...Loved it at some points, hated it at others...

Inside the tunnel and at WOT the car is about as scary loud as I've ever heard (I actually enjoyed that part)...We both loved it to be honest....

As for power gains? What gains? I did NOT do a before and after dyno...However, I used the same shop and same dyno that we installed my Berk HFC's on nearly 1 year ago today...Weather, humidity, and temp were relatively similar...Today was 8 degrees warmer then on my Berk Dyno...

I ended up LOSING 2whp and 2lb tq through 3 of the 4 dyno pulls...One of the pulls had me gain about 5whp in the top end...

I have to say I was shocked and really upset with those results....NO, I wasnt expecting 20whp...But I figured with the high yields this has gotten from others on the forum that 10-12whp should have been EASY...I was wrong...I'm assuming my Berks had something to do with this...But MaxtotheG37 had the same combo and got huge results so I'm unclear as to what the f is going on...

Not sure what to do at this point...I'm considering selling them already (although I'll be eating the costs of an extra install and reduced priced Borla for sale)...

I'll keep them on for a couple days to see if I get adjusted to them...
I have same setup. I installed the borla first, an then after a month the Berks HFC. The raspy and weird noise were there with the borla alone, not to mention the drone inside the car at about 2400 to 2800 rpm was a pain indass, the HFC just increased them a bit. I contacted Borla costumer service bc i noticed that the cross over pipe holes of the H pipe assembly were not of the same diameter of the runner pipes. You may have same problem. They redesign the hpipe assembly and send it to me at no cost. The drone sound disappeared but the weird sound (whistle rattle when the accelerator is released) is still there. Please spread this out in the forum bc they told me they will be revising this issue, but so far they said I'm the only one that have addressed this issue to them. They are very cooperative and driven to costumer care. If a fix is needed they will send it at no cost. Contact Don Cussas at borla he request to have a video were the weird sound could be appreciated, I'm not being able to send it to him so if you can it will be alot of help. Please keep me informed of your progress.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:35 AM
willizm

Little bit of rasp here and there? I have that too. Rattling noises? Don't have that, you better get it checked out. I did the install with my brother in law and it went well. We took our time and made sure everything was triple checked tight. I get a bit of drone right at 2000-2050rpm, but i'm usually cruising right above that so it's not an issue. Don't really know what to say about your issues besides make sure everything is tight. You should see some gains so reset the ecu and take it out for a couple days.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by TJHG37S
Did you reset the ECU? Try that, or give it a few days and then see how it is, the ECU has to learn..

I would've waited a few days THEN done a dyno, but yeah you should not be seeing losses for fooksakes.

Glad I heard about the rasp, this was near the top of my list for next mods but now maybe it's a FI or MXP...can't have rasp, hate it.
Travis FI CF FTMW!!! Even if you add HFC's, there will be no rasp for sure. Come out to the next meet so you can hear the exhaust in person.
Old 05-12-2009, 05:17 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

I get a little rasp with the borla exhaust at about 3-4 rpm's. Pretty sure with HFC's I'll get alot more rasp. Just got the exhaust installed and I'm already thinking of getting a different one. Get some vibration when rpm's are coming down. Weird. MXP maybe.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
n_jay888

Originally Posted by CEELOSG37S
I get a little rasp with the borla exhaust at about 3-4 rpm's. Pretty sure with HFC's I'll get alot more rasp. Just got the exhaust installed and I'm already thinking of getting a different one. Get some vibration when rpm's are coming down. Weird. MXP maybe.
That's why you don't want to put your HFC's on huh?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:31 PM
CEELOSG37S
LA G Club

^^^Yea, somewhat I guess. I'm gonna think about. I'll come to a conclusion pretty soon though. I hate debating about ****.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:35 PM
n_jay888

If i were you, just put it on and see how it sounds first. If you don't like it, take them out and sell em. Remember every G is different, even they have the same setup.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
You just want to hear how HFC's sound for yourself @sshole muahahahaha

Quick Reply: My Borla Review...