Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intakes less response???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 AM
Formula1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intakes less response???

Guys I installed the new Injens short ram intakes on my G37S Auto Saturday and I must say I'm not impressed. I know that intakes alone are not going to give the car tons of power, but I was expecting at least better throttle response. I test drove it Saturday and again today, the car feels more sluggish taking off from a stand still with the new intakes then with the stock intakes, very disappointed. If this is the norm I just wasted $300+ on mods that actually makes my car feel less responsive. BTW today was the first time I turn the traction control off expecting a little wheel spin, and guess what, non whats so ever. My mothers Kia Rondo do better at this than a 330 hp G, what the hell. I really like the car, but lately getting disappointed makes me wonder whether I made the right choice with the G.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:23 AM
gtracing

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
that is correct....welcome to the world of modifying cars....most people will argue with u till they're blue in the *****..but reality is, if u put on intakes, u'll lose torque....doesn't matter what car you drive....

since u've enlarged ur engine's intake capabilities....u've reduced the backpressure causing ur engine to lose torque...u can "try" and reset ur ecu and buy a cobb ecu thingy majiggy blah blah blah....but that's an extra 700 bucks u'll have to spend on something that'll give u maybe a few extra pony's and give u a little torque back....not worth it if u ask me...because in total, u've spent about $1000 to gain 5whp?

if i were u, sell the intakes and put ur stocks back on....intakes may sound good when ur wide open throttle...but besides that, it kills ur gas mileage, and u lose ur city driving fun....

http://blogs.cobbtuning.com/?p=160
Old 05-05-2009, 02:48 AM
dannbla
LA G Club

I'm thinking of getting these same intakes
everyone else who has them have had nothing but positive things to say about them
did you do the install yourself
Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 AM
gtracing

it's all in ur mind....trust me, if i paid $300 for an intake, i'd tell everyone it's the best intake on the market...or the lightest strongest rims i've ever had, or the best tires ever, etc etc....no one wants to look like an idiot for buying parts that don't make any hp....it's human nature....if u want power...go FI or buy a faster car
Old 05-05-2009, 10:05 AM
jsingh

From my understanding there are constant gains over baseline in both hp and torque with the Injen SRI.

To get a better understanding for this you would have to put it up againts a real dyno and then see what happens.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

IMO there are plenty of people who will be straight up, if they get mods that are bad and don't work, they'll say so. Ppl's egos are not so inflated that they can't say a product they bought is crappy. When it comes down to it, if you like the mods on your car, or if you like the stockies, it's YOUR car and you are the one driving it. There are always trade offs with doing anything to any car, and you have to make the decision about what you want for yours.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM
jsingh

^I agree with you. I can't speak for the product as yet b/c I am still to install it. But from my understanding and speaking with those who have used the product they are all happy with it, unless they're just saying it b/c they dont want to look stupid, lol. which I can't see any reason for.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
that is correct....welcome to the world of modifying cars....most people will argue with u till they're blue in the *****..but reality is, if u put on intakes, u'll lose torque....doesn't matter what car you drive....

since u've enlarged ur engine's intake capabilities....u've reduced the backpressure causing ur engine to lose torque...u can "try" and reset ur ecu and buy a cobb ecu thingy majiggy blah blah blah....but that's an extra 700 bucks u'll have to spend on something that'll give u maybe a few extra pony's and give u a little torque back....not worth it if u ask me...because in total, u've spent about $1000 to gain 5whp?

if i were u, sell the intakes and put ur stocks back on....intakes may sound good when ur wide open throttle...but besides that, it kills ur gas mileage, and u lose ur city driving fun....

it's all in ur mind....trust me, if i paid $300 for an intake, i'd tell everyone it's the best intake on the market...or the lightest strongest rims i've ever had, or the best tires ever, etc etc....no one wants to look like an idiot for buying parts that don't make any hp....it's human nature....if u want power...go FI or buy a faster car
I couldn't agree more. At the very top of the RPM range is the only place any intake will produce any reals world gains. Down low it's going to kill your performance by losing torque.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was under the impression intakes actually increase gas mileage because they provide more air than stock intakes. Which in return, your engine uses more air than gas to create a flame. For the OP, I hear every G37 is different. Some get great gains from intakes, and others actually lose power. They did a test with multiple stock Gs using R2C intakes, some gain hp and tourqe, and others gain nothing.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is why I have stuck with OEM intakes and just changed the filters (who knows if the helped or not. ), but I just don't live at the RPM where most of the mods show the returns.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
I couldn't agree more. At the very top of the RPM range is the only place any intake will produce any reals world gains. Down low it's going to kill your performance by losing torque.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:44 PM
n_jay888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by djkmac
I was under the impression intakes actually increase gas mileage because they provide more air than stock intakes. Which in return, your engine uses more air than gas to create a flame. For the OP, I hear every G37 is different. Some get great gains from intakes, and others actually lose power. They did a test with multiple stock Gs using R2C intakes, some gain hp and tourqe, and others gain nothing.

Reset your ECU and it might help you out a little bit to feel this intake. You will still loose torque no matter what, but gain it back on higher RPM's.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:38 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
uh oh, mine's on it's way. I've heard nothing but good things about the Injen SRI, until this thread. Did u reset your ECU?

You have AT, try Black Betty's grounding kit.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
SOLISIMO

Ive learned that unless you go twin turbo mods are useless for the money. WHich is why Im going for looks now!
Old 05-05-2009, 03:05 PM
djkmac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by n_jay888
Reset your ECU and it might help you out a little bit to feel this intake. You will still loose torque no matter what, but gain it back on higher RPM's.
Oh no, that was their Test results. I feel gains on mine, but thats just using my butt dyno.
Old 05-05-2009, 04:31 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I also have Injen SRI's on the way....am I really going to notice a negative difference in daily driving?

Quick Reply: Intakes less response???