Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intakes less response???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
goredcar
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wrong Intake?

I just drove home after having a Stillen 3G intake installed and I could really tell the difference in performance. Stillen has proven gains in HP and torque across the band, check their website

With most mods you get what you pay for. The Stillen is more money, but delivers.

And, better breathing will contribute to better fuel economy assuming that you drive the same way. I have noticed improvements in every vehicle I have added an intake to.

Originally Posted by Formula1
Guys I installed the new Injens short ram intakes on my G37S Auto Saturday and I must say I'm not impressed. I know that intakes alone are not going to give the car tons of power, but I was expecting at least better throttle response. I test drove it Saturday and again today, the car feels more sluggish taking off from a stand still with the new intakes then with the stock intakes, very disappointed. If this is the norm I just wasted $300+ on mods that actually makes my car feel less responsive. BTW today was the first time I turn the traction control off expecting a little wheel spin, and guess what, non whats so ever. My mothers Kia Rondo do better at this than a 330 hp G, what the hell. I really like the car, but lately getting disappointed makes me wonder whether I made the right choice with the G.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TimsG37s
Yeah man, you'll love it! You won't regret getting it. I really didn't buy mine for HP & TQ gains. I bought mine for the looks and the sound but I can tell you right now that after driving with it for the last two weeks there's NO way that my G has lost anything performance wise. According to my butt dyno, I've definitely gained some performance.
See, that's what I wanted to hear!!! I'm just kinda skittish about all of these other folks saying my G is gonna be sluggish, etc. Hearing a review from someone who has these EXACT intakes (which are still relatively new to the market) and has had them long enough to see if there's a difference....that makes me feel better. I'll definitely post up pics once I get them installed. Damn....I can't wait.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM
Formula1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WAO!!! I didn't expect so many replies about my comment, thank you all. I guess like some of you are saying it might work different in each car. But in my case it was not an improvement. I noticed that sometimes when I floor it the engine seems to joke a little, and the transmission have a difficulty deciding on which gear to stay or go to. Some of you keep mentioning resetting the ECU, Doesn't the ECU suppose to reset it self with some changes? I also bought the ground kit from Stillen and was planning to install it, but now I might just leave the car the way it was from factory. Is anybody interested in purchasing this Intakes .
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 AM
jsingh

Originally Posted by gthal
I am by no means an expert at all but the dyno Lou posted for the Injen`s showed a slight increase in torque across the entire rev range. So is the dyno wrong or is it something else going on with some cars.

I have not noticed any decrease in torque at all... no perceived increase either. The G has such a linear throttle that I always needed to give it a lot of gas to get it to pull hard and that hasn`t changed since the Injens...
Installed mine last night, I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Doesn't feel sluggish and at the same time no perceived increase. Light Growl kicks in usually above 4k rpm, couldn't tell much diff sound wise b/t this and the stock note.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:00 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by jsingh
Installed mine last night, I'm going to have to agree with you on this. Doesn't feel sluggish and at the same time no perceived increase. Light Growl kicks in usually above 4k rpm, couldn't tell much diff sound wise b/t this and the stock note.
If you already have an aftermarket exhaust and y pipe and then install the intake, yeah, there probably won't be much of a sound difference. When I installed mine I didn't have the Tanabe yet so I could definitely hear the difference. Now that I have the Tanabe installed, both of them sound great together and I can feel a little more power. Not much but it's there.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM
KnoxvilleG37

If you already have an aftermarket exhaust and y pipe and then install the intake, yeah, there probably won't be much of a sound difference. When I installed mine I didn't have the Tanabe yet so I could definitely hear the difference. Now that I have the Tanabe installed, both of them sound great together and I can feel a little more power. Not much but it's there.
Hey Tim....checked out your YouTube vid with your Injens and Tanabe. The Tanabe sounds awesome, still maintains the Infiniti "purr". I'm more of a fan of the subtle/quiet exhausts....probably why I like the OEM exhaust sound so much. If I ever change exhausts it'll either be the Fujitsubo or the Tanabe. Tanabe looks like it's an easy bolt-on DIY job.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Formula1
WAO!!! I didn't expect so many replies about my comment, thank you all. I guess like some of you are saying it might work different in each car. But in my case it was not an improvement. I noticed that sometimes when I floor it the engine seems to joke a little, and the transmission have a difficulty deciding on which gear to stay or go to. Some of you keep mentioning resetting the ECU, Doesn't the ECU suppose to reset it self with some changes? I also bought the ground kit from Stillen and was planning to install it, but now I might just leave the car the way it was from factory. Is anybody interested in purchasing this Intakes .

I'll take them off your hands if the price is right. I've got almost the same setup as TimsG37s, with tanabe and i also have the y pipe, and he says they improved on his. If your serious about selling shoot me a pm and let me know.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
Hey Tim....checked out your YouTube vid with your Injens and Tanabe. The Tanabe sounds awesome, still maintains the Infiniti "purr". I'm more of a fan of the subtle/quiet exhausts....probably why I like the OEM exhaust sound so much. If I ever change exhausts it'll either be the Fujitsubo or the Tanabe. Tanabe looks like it's an easy bolt-on DIY job.
What up Knoxville? Yeah, the Tanabe was a pretty easy install once I got the 4 OEM bolts loosened up. I couldn't get them loose myself. I ended up going to a Bridgestone tire place and had them loosen the 4 bolts for me. Once I got back home I had it installed in about 20 minutes. I love the sound. It is definitely louder than stock but not near as loud as some of the other exhausts on the market. For me it's perfect. Loud but not too loud.

Last edited by TimsG37s; 05-06-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:53 PM
jsingh

I'm still waiting to get the exhuast and Y-pipe installed, just the SRI done soo far. I'll try get a vid up tonight, help those of you who want to hear just the Intake on its own. Personally I can't tell the diff b/t stock could just be my ears, I'll let you guys decide.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by jsingh
I'm still waiting to get the exhuast and Y-pipe installed, just the SRI done soo far. I'll try get a vid up tonight, help those of you who want to hear just the Intake on its own. Personally I can't tell the diff b/t stock could just be my ears, I'll let you guys decide.
You cant tell? Really? Huh. Above 4,000 rpms I could definitely hear a deeper growl. It's not a huge difference but noticeable to me. I hope you still like it anyway.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:26 PM
KnoxvilleG37

What up Knoxville? Yeah, the Tanabe was a pretty easy install once I got the 4 OEM bolts loosened up. I couldn't get them loose myself. I ended up going to a Bridgestone tire place and had them loosen the 4 bolts for me. Once I got back home I had it installed in about 20 minutes. I love the sound. It is definitely louder than stock but not near as loud as some of the other exhausts on the market. For me it's perfect. Loud but not too loud.
So what did you do with the stock exhaust/muffler? Sitting around your garage? LOL. I would definitely keep mine in case I needed to bring the car back to stock. Damn....now I'm considering a new exhaust.....this modding thing is addictive.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:02 PM
jsingh

^ You've officially been bitten by the bug! (not N1H1)
Old 05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
KnoxvilleG37

For those who say our fuel economy is going to suffer....can we address that the new Injen Short Ram Intake has their new "Mega Ram Technology" which according to the Injen website keeps the factory air/fuel ratio at a safe, normal level. (http://www.injen.com/docs/other/mrtechnology.asp). Hopefully we'll still get an increase in performance without having to fill up too often!
Old 05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
TimsG37s

Originally Posted by KnoxvilleG37
For those who say our fuel economy is going to suffer....can we address that the new Injen Short Ram Intake has their new "Mega Ram Technology" which according to the Injen website keeps the factory air/fuel ratio at a safe, normal level. (http://www.injen.com/docs/other/mrtechnology.asp). Hopefully we'll still get an increase in performance without having to fill up too often!
Yeah, I have the OEM exhaust sitting in my garage. I leased my G for 39 months so I'm keeping the OEM for when it's time to turn it back in. 36 months from now I might just decide to keep the G and buy out the lease. Then I'll probably just trash it. lol
I know what you mean about the mod addiction. When I leased her 3 months ago I said I wasn't going to do any mods at all. Well, 3 months later and you see my signature. Once I found this website and started talking with all of you I changed my mind real quick. I'm glad I did. I love the way my car looks and rides now. I liked it before but it's a lot better now! Thanks to everyone here for all the great advice.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Formula1

Guys, today I gave he car a good run. I must say something funny happened, the car actually responded a lot better today I don't know if the ECU finally adapted it self to the increase in the air flow or was it the weather conditions. In manual mode the shifting was actually better, smoother and more torque, from second to third it actually kick pretty hard. In DS mode the car responded very aggressive in up-shift, but also in down-shift specially into second. This part is not so pleasant since the down shift is hard and it is felt, but I guess that is expected. In normal D, it depends on how you play with the gas pedal, it has to be in the right position for the car to take of aggressively. The down side is that once the car is rolling, the car seems to get very docile and to get the car to down shift, you might have to pretty much floor it, for the G to recognize that you want the lower gear. But to avoid this, the car has the other two modes right. I'll keep testing the car some more and see what else I notice.

Last edited by Formula1; 05-07-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Intakes less response???