Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review The Intake Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 PM
TIMMAY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that E46 M3 got me bonered up.. =P
Old 08-15-2009, 05:11 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
I'll look into the A/F chart later, but atleast 2 members had it.

First off, did the 370z have any mods, custom tune? I'm not really familar with the 370z set up so it's hard to say why the A/F ratio is within factory, but its basic physics my man.

The location of the filters is similar to putting your head outside a window going 60MPG+, its hard to breathe right? The dramatic spikes in the A/F chart with the 3G when one is idle and WOT is incredible, and I mean incredibly horrible. I'll dig up those charts later.

Even Church Tuning (well known tuning shop for VQ's) noticed that my A/F ratio was a bit high, but I totally forget to ask him to print out the sheets for me when I was dynoing my G with the Stillens.

Why do you think Injen changed their design before? Injen had their design EXACTLY the same as Stillen 3G, but noticed the problems with it, therefore changing their set up.

Put aside the mystery A/F ratio for the 3G, the quality alone and fitment is enough to scare me away as a buyer.
that'd be great if you can find the a/f chart. i have no problem with installation difficulty (honestly it's one of the fun things about modding...ever tried installing headers?...whoa...what a b*tch!!11 LOL). the thing about injens is the pipe design going straight down...the bends do not seem to be very efficient yet the dynos imply otherwise. i wouldn't think any of these intakes make any power yet they do . i'm just blown away...

Originally Posted by TIMMAY
that E46 M3 got me bonered up.. =P
I know right...E46 M3 + CSL airbox for the win....close second though is a 37 + injen/stillen 3gs...i'm so jealous everytime i ride in my friends car with his 3G...i hate him.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:28 PM
cvt

I guess I found it! and yes the AFRS can get close to 14s...

Below is an article by mike kojima on his tests on the stillen 3g on a 370Z. he first did the test with the bumper on (which encloses the filters) that net them a gain of 9whp. With the bumper off (which exposes the filters much like it does with our G37s) he got a goin of 15whp and leaned out his AFR (see last dyno sheet in the link below).

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ke-Tested.aspx
Old 08-15-2009, 05:30 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
cvt you are part of the minority on the forum that actually understands how intakes really work, you got my respect brotha
Old 08-15-2009, 05:48 PM
cvt

cvt you are part of the minority on the forum that actually understands how intakes really work, you got my respect brotha
thanks. and thanks for this thread. it's nice to have open tech discussions. it definatley weeds out a lot of misinformation. i figure with the afrs running a bit lean like that on the 3Gs a good flash from tadashi would richen it up...of course then maybe you'd want to get headers and an exhaust first before the tune....<sigh> i can't believe i'm being bitten by the mod bug again...
Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
I guess I found it! and yes the AFRS can get close to 14s...

Below is an article by mike kojima on his tests on the stillen 3g on a 370Z. he first did the test with the bumper on (which encloses the filters) that net them a gain of 9whp. With the bumper off (which exposes the filters much like it does with our G37s) he got a goin of 15whp and leaned out his AFR (see last dyno sheet in the link below).

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ke-Tested.aspx
I mention this to you in a previous post about the 370z bumper blocking the filter. see this post I post to you
https://www.myg37.com/forums/2718584-post117.html

IM SMART! woot
Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Well some people are too damn sensitive about the whole intake subject and think it's probably the best mod and it adds like 30+whp lol, it's not a damn forced induction car to do that. Anyways, even with all the bolt on mods, and a nice tune, it should be enoughh to fulfillyour craving for more power, but personally I wouldn't waste your money. Infiniti has done a great job and squeezed every ounce of HP out of this motor.

On a side note, people say a full catback exhaust is good throughout the RPM chart, not true, look at the low-end power and it some cases its a loss or the same.

Probably best first performance mod would be HFC's, haven't seen any real con's with those besides the installation and the O2 sensors.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:39 PM
jnguyen

man you know nothing emil until you tried air scoops. I put ram air scoops so the air that goes through the grill goes straight to the intake. I got about 50whp or so consistently on the cloud dyno.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:41 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

dude I told you to send a me a link for those, I want those and the side vents too! and I want that ebay chip that adds 80+ whp, then I need some resistance and downforce power, so I'm gonna put a 10 foot yellow spoiler on my trunk
Old 08-15-2009, 06:48 PM
jnguyen

all I did was tape bricks all over my car. each brick gives alot of downforce because of the weight
Old 08-15-2009, 08:27 PM
cvt

Originally Posted by jnguyen
I mention this to you in a previous post about the 370z bumper blocking the filter. see this post I post to you
https://www.myg37.com/forums/2718584-post117.html

IM SMART! woot
of course on the same post you admitted you didn't know anything so it cancels out...lol

Anyways, even with all the bolt on mods, and a nice tune, it should be enoughh to fulfillyour craving for more power, but personally I wouldn't waste your money. Infiniti has done a great job and squeezed every ounce of HP out of this motor.

On a side note, people say a full catback exhaust is good throughout the RPM chart, not true, look at the low-end power and it some cases its a loss or the same.

Probably best first performance mod would be HFC's, haven't seen any real con's with those besides the installation and the O2 sensors.

i agree. but modding is a lot of fun and it's hard to keep a stock car. i have had first rate experience with full exhausts and headers. i found the more n/a breathing mods i added the leaner my afr, thus the ecu pulling timing and not sending enough fuel. once i got the reflash from tadashi to richen up my power was back up...and then some. even a simple change like a header wrecked my afr. with an intake, pulley, plenum spacer, exhaust my afr was a straight through 13.5 @ 243whp....i added a header and my afr was at mid 14s throughout the band @ 243whp Tadashi pulled my plugs and found aluminum filings...my car was detonating which was why my car was pulling timing to prevent further damage to my motor at WOT, resulting in the loss of power. he richend up my afr and got me back to low-mid 13s @ 252whp. so from a cost point of view it doesn't make sense to go n/a since my baseline was 220whp. but it was fun...all that counts i guess...LOL.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:39 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by cvt
of course on the same post you admitted you didn't know anything so it cancels out...lol

i agree. but modding is a lot of fun and it's hard to keep a stock car. i have had first rate experience with full exhausts and headers. i found the more n/a breathing mods i added the leaner my afr, thus the ecu pulling timing and not sending enough fuel. once i got the reflash from tadashi to richen up my power was back up...and then some. even a simple change like a header wrecked my afr. with an intake, pulley, plenum spacer, exhaust my afr was a straight through 13.5 @ 243whp....i added a header and my afr was at mid 14s throughout the band @ 243whp Tadashi pulled my plugs and found aluminum filings...my car was detonating which was why my car was pulling timing to prevent further damage to my motor at WOT, resulting in the loss of power. he richend up my afr and got me back to low-mid 13s @ 252whp. so from a cost point of view it doesn't make sense to go n/a since my baseline was 220whp. but it was fun...all that counts i guess...LOL.

hahah I was just kidding
Old 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

man screw all these bolt-on mods, F/I all the way baby, right joe? haha