Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review The Intake Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:17 PM
kkokko
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hm.. what about our stock intake? would heatsoak cause the SRI to perform worse?
Old 04-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I think this whole "prone to water" thing for the CAI's is just getting old now..This is was kept me away from Injens ever since I got my car. Now that I grew some and bit the bullet, I love it..I can also gladly say that I drove a whole weekend in the rain with torrential down pour and crazy misting from other cars on the highway (obv. drove nice and easy) and I had no issues at all and the car ran smooth..(knock on wood lol)
Old 04-28-2009, 05:45 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our stock intake box has an awesome design that minimizes any heat soak that might occur. Pretty much gets cool air from the front. The wall of the box might get warm and maybe affect the air but I don't really know. If you're worried about heat soak so much, I'd get a CAI or stay with stock air box.

My guess to combat heat soak: CAI > stock box > heat shield > no shield/open filter
Old 04-28-2009, 05:46 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kkokko
hm.. what about our stock intake? would heatsoak cause the SRI to perform worse?
Heat soak -> warm air -> worse performance.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:00 AM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stillballin and UCLA...After a wonderful little journey with R2C i have decided to take the advice of other injen'ers and go CAI..

Should be here this week hopefully install this weekend..

Excited, that and the magnaflow i have sitting in my living room i think the g will sounds pretty sick.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:15 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ Great choice man, you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
SOLISIMO

thats what i did
Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM
jarborn1

^^^ Hey man you wouldnt happen to have clips of the injen + magnaflow set up would ya..

I can't take the suspense anymore, lol.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:44 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Goonz
I think this whole "prone to water" thing for the CAI's is just getting old now..This is was kept me away from Injens ever since I got my car. Now that I grew some and bit the bullet, I love it..I can also gladly say that I drove a whole weekend in the rain with torrential down pour and crazy misting from other cars on the highway (obv. drove nice and easy) and I had no issues at all and the car ran smooth..(knock on wood lol)
same here. I also drove a whole week like that but its funny cause one of the day I went to sleep that week I had a dream that i was driving and my car starting clogging then it shut down and i was hydrolock but the funny thing is in my dream it was sunny out so i wake up and was like wtf kind dream is that
Old 07-20-2009, 08:01 AM
Vu37

very informative post.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:53 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Check your A/F reading with your Stillens, I bet you your going to be in the high 14's.
sTiLLBaLLiN37...I found a dyno of a 370Z showing an AFR of 11.8 with the stillen 3Gs....do you have any dynos or reading showing 14s on the Stillen 3Gs...been searching and 'no bueno' for me...see link

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...pressions.html

although his gains seem to be more on the optimistic side, I am still baffled at the power increase the stillens and injens make...the stock intakes look to be very efficient already...
Old 08-15-2009, 12:06 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by cvt
sTiLLBaLLiN37...I found a dyno of a 370Z showing an AFR of 11.8 with the stillen 3Gs....do you have any dynos or reading showing 14s on the Stillen 3Gs...been searching and 'no bueno' for me...see link

http://www.the370z.com/intake-exhaus...pressions.html

although his gains seem to be more on the optimistic side, I am still baffled at the power increase the stillens and injens make...the stock intakes look to be very efficient already...
OHHHHHH he calling you out still ballin but then again the design for the car seem different. The intake filter doesnt seem to be expose to that much air as the G37 but I don't know anything so yeah
Old 08-15-2009, 12:29 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
nope...not calling anyone out...just trying to understand more...i've vowed never to mod my car because my last car (03 350Z) was modded to the extent that it was almost a pain to drive (it was only fun when driving hard)....but these n/a gains from the 370/37 are making it difficult not to get bitten by the 'bug'. i had a friend put on his stillen 3gs and it gave me shivers when i head him drive by (the only thing that sounded better was a BMW M3 with a CSL air box mod)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-OsKLA55mc

anyway...yeah..not questioning sTiLLBaLLiN37...but, honestly, wanted more of a push to just buy the damned things...LOL

cvt <---has alaways said intakes were no bueno for the VQ....lol
Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 PM
jnguyen

honestly I was never a Intake person for the HP either so i just bought it for the sounds,look, and power. I love my injen intake.

If you want power then you can get the G3. This thing definately makes power and alot of members how dyno to prove it but it doesn't really look good to me. also the fitment isn't as well but it fits him you mess around with it.

I think you should get the G3 if ya want cause in the end it sounds like you want sound and power. The G3 definately deliver these the two of these but I still don't like the looks of it. It might look alright if you powdercoat the pipes
Old 08-15-2009, 02:48 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll look into the A/F chart later, but atleast 2 members had it.

First off, did the 370z have any mods, custom tune? I'm not really familar with the 370z set up so it's hard to say why the A/F ratio is within factory, but its basic physics my man.

The location of the filters is similar to putting your head outside a window going 60MPG+, its hard to breathe right? The dramatic spikes in the A/F chart with the 3G when one is idle and WOT is incredible, and I mean incredibly horrible. I'll dig up those charts later.

Even Church Tuning (well known tuning shop for VQ's) noticed that my A/F ratio was a bit high, but I totally forget to ask him to print out the sheets for me when I was dynoing my G with the Stillens.

Why do you think Injen changed their design before? Injen had their design EXACTLY the same as Stillen 3G, but noticed the problems with it, therefore changing their set up.

Put aside the mystery A/F ratio for the 3G, the quality alone and fitment is enough to scare me away as a buyer.

Quick Reply: Review The Intake Review Thread