Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review The Intake Review Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Here I dug up this old thread, https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...ntake-pic.html, Injen at first wanted to construct the intakes so the filters were behind the grille but decided to change it obviously. Please read through that thread, Gamedog and Injen both clearly state that it that design will run lean.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
heff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
LoL, they came in to factor after the incident on Saturday hahahah

Let's put it this way. Imagine trying to breathe with your head out the window, it's going to be hard because of the impact/velocity of which the air is coming towards your mouth, this is what is happening with the Stillens, TOO much air is coming in that location, causing the engine to run lean. Running lean means the Air/Fuel ratio is thrown off which is REALLY bad for your motor, which can lead to a blown engine. Ask anyone on here with Stillen 3G and Cobb AP to check their A/F ratio and its going to be in the 14 range instead of it being 12. This COULD be corrected with a CUSTOM tune, not just a reflash of which Cobb AP provides. Hope this helps.
Damit we just cant win can we? Injens sit too low for my liking seeing as this is my daily driver and im weary of hydro locking... Then gen 3's F with the A/F.....

maybe im just a worry wart
Old 03-31-2009, 10:23 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
heff, this might help you:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...from-cais.html
Old 03-31-2009, 10:24 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

The possbilities of hydrolocking on Stillen 3G and Injen are the same, if there is any. Unless you live underwater or something, you should be fine. It's not like the filters are TOTALLY exposed, there is a lot of blockage and protection where the filters lay.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 PM
heff

Originally Posted by aliiin
The possbilities of hydrolocking on Stillen 3G and Injen are the same, if there is any. Unless you live underwater or something, you should be fine. It's not like the filters are TOTALLY exposed, there is a lot of blockage and protection where the filters lay.
thanks for the help guys you have really went above and beyond with the whole whoring of intakes and it really has helped! Now I hate ta put this on ya but do the status elite ones too

jj but seriously!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

I was really considering putting Status Elite claims to the test, but since they are 22 comiing out for limited production, I may not be able to do so. For now, I am going to enjoy my Injens!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:17 PM
heff

I was really considering putting Status Elite claims to the test, but since they are 22 comiing out for limited production, I may not be able to do so. For now, I am going to enjoy my Injens!
ill let it go, but just this time
Old 04-01-2009, 04:13 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good stuff.

So did you get A/F ratio on the Stillen? Not surprised if it's in the 14s. I think that was one of the tricky part with Injen's R&D, to provide enough air, with increased velocity, but not so much that it throws off the A/F ratio without a tune.

From what I've found and learned, the A/F from Injen falls very close to the stock A/F. It's also why you do not need to reset the ECU. Power comes from the fact that the air is cold, not warm air radiating from the engine, and that patent pending inner metal straw strategically located in the step down section to speed up air but keep the MAF feedback in check (which is very important in manipulating our ECU).

There is ton of more stuff on Injen's CAI and why I believe it works the way it does. And why it abandoned the originally concept that is now Stillen's Gen3.

I'd be interested too in trying out Status Elite's intake based on some similar observations. Stillintakewhoring, let me know if you're going to do it, haha.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:41 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

When I have time I will post up the A/F reading with the Stillen 3G, and you guys will see that it runs lean.

And yes, Ucla Bruin is right with the Injen A/F being EXTREMELY close to stock A/F. This is the pure reflection of their quality work and R&D put in to these intakes.

One thing people DON'T understand, is that hot air RISES, cold air SINKS. So the location of the Stillen filters versus the Injen filters matters in this case, because the Injen filters are closer to the ground where the cold air exists. They abandoned the original design for a reason, otherwise they would have came out with that design beforehand. They know their stuff, and these intakes are the ****!

I might try out Statue Elite if I can get a good price on them.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:32 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

damn i'm glad i still have the injens.... they really did do their hw when they made it...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:34 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Werd....
Old 04-01-2009, 04:38 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
For sure maan! +1..now buy my Injens somebody!!!!
Old 04-01-2009, 04:39 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hopefully people will realize that they are solid and not be blinded by the misconception when they were first introduced.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:45 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

yeah i remember when a member dyno'ed it and didn't get as much gains... but she in fact had many other mods, and obviously modding gains aren't linear... or i think that's what happened...
Old 04-01-2009, 04:51 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

That member did a dyno on seperate days, so many factors come in to play. You gotta keep the variables constant in order to have concrete numbers.

Quick Reply: Review The Intake Review Thread