Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Header and HFC O2 sensor Problem on install

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 04:09 PM
DCook42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Header and HFC O2 sensor Problem on install

Hey guys,

Today I'm having the dealership (yes, the dealer) install headers and HFC's on my 08 G37S. I was just informed that they are unable to preserve the O2 sensors, and will have to order a new pair ($188x2) for the HFC's, and another new pair ($431 x 2, ouch) for the headers. Those prices may be vice-versa, but the bottom line remains the same: about an extra $1000 ON TOP of the already steep install of Headers and HFC's; I'm also having them install CAI's gen 2 and cat-back exhaust, but so far no problems there.

So, did any of you guys with aftermarket HFC's and Headers experience a similar problem on install? Any bits of wisdom I could pass on to Infiniti of Greenwich would be appreciated, as they have been surpisingly pleasant (albeit expensive) to deal with.

Thanks,
DCook42
Old 03-30-2009, 04:13 PM
C@ciQ

Bro the stealership is digging up in your pockets. On my install of HFCs I used OEM o2 SENSORS. Ill let you know on headers once I get them installed.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
um, you shouldn't be paying for new sensors.... if they break them they are responsible. BlackBetty had an O2 sensor break when they installed HFC's at ClearLake Infiniti in Houston. They replaced it at their own expense. Why would you pay them for things they break? When I had my HFC's installed at ClearLake, they didn't break anything. that's ridiculous.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
When you say "unable to preserve" does that mean they damaged them during install? Or are they saying they're in good shape, but that you will need new ones? Because if it's the second option i mentioned, then its BS.

Oh and if they broke them, they fix them out of pocket, end of story. For all you know they could have broken them on purpose.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM
mako159

I installed my HFC myself, no problems here.. They are trying to get over on you.. I'd call them and ask them why they need to change the O2 sensors anyways. Then tell them that you want the old ones and they better not be broken..
Old 03-30-2009, 06:21 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Im going out to do some heroin, coke, and LSD right now. Come with me and then we'll go straight to the dealership and pay for 4 sensors you dont need, so you dont remember getting raped in the anus by your dealership.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Csquared

Wow that's not right i installed my HFCs at the dealership and it was fine, no problems, say to them specifically, that you took it there because you wanted infiniti techs working on your cars, and they should be able to take out the sensors without breaking them. I have a sedan and not a coupe but i thought our cars only has 3 o2 sensors, the dealership just quoted you for 4?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
DCook42

Originally Posted by Gamedog
When you say "unable to preserve" does that mean they damaged them during install? Or are they saying they're in good shape, but that you will need new ones? Because if it's the second option i mentioned, then its BS.

Oh and if they broke them, they fix them out of pocket, end of story. For all you know they could have broken them on purpose.
Just spoke with the head of service, who informed me that if I were replacing my "problem parts" under normal conditions, the O2 sensors would certainly be covered. However, when replacing fully-functioning factory parts with aftermarket parts, all bets are off. I see his point, but the expense sucks.

Regarding the Texan who had a similar experience covered by the factory with aftermarket parts, his quote was "He was very lucky and could receive a callback". I'll check back with them in the morning, and unless it's already done I might take it elsewhere.

Last edited by DCook42; 03-30-2009 at 07:08 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 PM
DCook42

Originally Posted by Csquared
Wow that's not right i installed my HFCs at the dealership and it was fine, no problems, say to them specifically, that you took it there because you wanted infiniti techs working on your cars, and they should be able to take out the sensors without breaking them. I have a sedan and not a coupe but i thought our cars only has 3 o2 sensors, the dealership just quoted you for 4?
- Yeah they said 2 pairs of them are involved: 2 "upstream" (headers?) and 2 "downstream" (HFC's?). I'm a physical therapist not a mechanic... so I'm calling another garage for a second opinion. The whole point of going dealership was in case something like this popped up... so, now I'm going somewhere else.

Last edited by DCook42; 03-30-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Csquared

Yep take it somewhere else, just tell them how to do it, no impact tools and the o2 sensors just tell them to be careful, if they can't take out the sensors torch them to make them come out easier.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:44 PM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
well got my HFC's put in at my local Infinti dealer like 3 weeks ago! they were happy to do it no questions asked! and during the install, they broke the right side 02 sensor in the header!(Yes our cars have 4 -02 sensors, 1 on each header, and 2 near the cats) And he asked me if i had any CEL problems before. I said never did. they ran it on thier scanner again, and called me back like 20min later, told me that sensor failed for some reason, they never admit it, but i know it was broke during the removal of the damn PITA top bolts of the cat. But they repalced mine under warranty no questions asked, just paid my $180 for the install of my HFC's and was on my way! Guess each dealer is diffrent, some are by the book, some are mod freindly! Good Luck Bro!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Ouch !!!! $1000.00 ???? How did all 4 sensors get broken ?? None of mine broke and I have headers and HFC ..
Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 PM
DCook42

O2 Sensor Update

After a couple of heated phone calls with the dealership, here's where I'm at. The headers and sensors are installed, luckily those were the cheaper ones. The CAI and exhaust is on too without issue. The HFC's have not been put on yet, and I'm taking it to my preferred garage to do that - it turns out that the O2 sensors on the HFC's are the expensive ones ($488 each), I just hope that if they do in fact need replacing, non-infiniti sensors can be used to save me some coin. Will keep u all posted, what a PITA!!!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Csquared

Lies, I was quoted 178 for the hfc sensors.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:44 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
you're getting jerked around by your dealership.

Quick Reply: Header and HFC O2 sensor Problem on install