Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

All my mods dyno'd at sound performance in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:51 PM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All my mods dyno'd at sound performance in Chicago

I have been meaning to get my Stillen CAI installed on the G, but haven't really had the chance to do so. It's kinda a pain in the *** of an install from what I've been reading and don't want to wait for my Brother-in-Law(he has all the tools) to get a break from work to help me with the install.

My next best option was to give a shop a try. I usually don't trust shops much at all as I've had bad experiences with other places even the infiniti dealer couldn't get an oil change right. I have other reasons to find a good shop as I want to get into the FI game with a TT setup in the future. I don't live in California so my choices are limited. I decided to give sound performance a call to see if they could set me up with an appointment and sure enough Chris was able to get me in the next day to do the install of the CAI and some dyno pulls as well. If you guys don't know about Sound performance then check some of the stuff on my350z. They have the highest hp at 1248hp and quickest 1/4 mile 350z.

Here are some pics of the car with the CAI installed.(iphone pics)

I'll have to get some more shots with the bumper and grill on because you can see a little bit of it through the grill, but not noticeable if you weren't looking for it.

So we did a base line dyno before the CAI. The car already had a Borla Cat Back, Berk HFC's, and Cobb Stage 2 map. The baseline was two pulls.

The best of the two pulls was 299rwhp and 232tq. Not bad, I was aiming to get 300rwhp and 240ish tq. I felt pretty good about breaking above 300rwhp so we did the install and threw it back on the dyno. I reset the ECU and Chris gave it a go on the dyno twice. Both runs shown identical gains.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOt! I BROKE 300 NA baby,
307RWHP/ 239tq
DOMODOMODOMO

My next steps are to work with cobb and SP to do the remote custom map. Acording to the rep I spoke with at cobb, I need to contact a tuner named john and pay an upfront fee to get a starting point map. Not sure if it's different from the stock style map. I'm going to revert my stage 2 to the stock style map or the map that they send me. Then from there, I have to drive around and data log, I'm also going to data log it on the dyno at SP. Then send it to john and he will get me a tuned map. Then repeat the process around 1-3 more times.

So my future plans are to get this car paid off and go with a GTM TT Kit or whatever else comes by. Hopefully this time next year I'll have it paid off. The next goal will be 450-500rwhp with stock internals. Anything after that I'm having it built up. At least I have time on my side to see how these new 3.7's hold up to boost. So far there is another G37 making 500rwhp with 12psi that is on my350z in the shop build section. Not sure if it's on these boards or not, but it was done by Shariff. That is on a stock block with exhaust bolt-ons using the GTM kit with an f-con.

So to sum it up, I'm extremely pleased with the service that I got a SP. They were all real great guys and not condescending to my noob TT questions. I feel so much better about picking a G37 as I know that no matter what I want to do with it, there is a great shop in SP that is within 45 minutes of my house. Now I don't have to ship my car across the country to get work done on it.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:10 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
congrats on the 300+ hp and 239 torque haha
Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice. Interested to see what a custom map will do.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:02 PM
willizm

the shop is doing a similar deal with cobb and a gtr. I'm hoping that that will make my custom map an easier process as the same shop is already working with cobb.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:07 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by aliiin
congrats on the 300+ hp and 239 torque haha
Yeah, the torque is killing me. I suspect that is due to the cobb stage 2 map, but time will tell if I can see better torque gains with a custom map. Thats the killer thing about these cars is that the torque is so low compared to the hp that they put out.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:31 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once they release a custom map option, or every single modd map possible to fit everyone's needs, you will see more gains.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:34 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
Once they release a custom map option, or every single modd map possible to fit everyone's needs, you will see more gains.
I'm wondering since most people with the cobb has a very similar setup as mine(borla/berk and FI cat/hfcs are similar enough). If I get a custom map that works well, can I distribute it to the community. I'm not sure since there is an initial cost to do the custom map.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:51 PM
mako159

I was wondering the same.. I know you can load maps from a PC to the AP, so I'm would think they would send you the file then you would upload it to the AP yourself.. So sharing the map prob wouldn't be hard...
Old 03-21-2009, 04:33 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
looks good man. hopefully i get my HFC soon so i can try to break pass the 300 barrier
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:14 AM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet I'm 300+ too, I'll have to dyno it soon
Old 03-27-2009, 02:05 PM
tiguy99
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kidcane
Very nice. Interested to see what a custom map will do.
+1

In for the custom map pics

Congrats across the board bro! Nice car. Are you going to the Autobarn meet tomorrow?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:11 PM
C@ciQ

Oh yeah! Cant wait to get my **** done and smoked my wheels. lol
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
C@ciQ

BTW good numbers and happy that you get a shop close to you. I have to cross an ocean (literally) to get my stuff done.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:34 PM
SilverRSXJezus

Originally Posted by willizm
Yeah, the torque is killing me. I suspect that is due to the cobb stage 2 map, but time will tell if I can see better torque gains with a custom map. Thats the killer thing about these cars is that the torque is so low compared to the hp that they put out.
Except that it shouldn't really matter...just look at how flat your torque line is. You wouldn't want a high peak/section of torque that exists only in the lower to mid range RPMs and only have it drop off a cliff when you approach redline. Unless you're only considering daily driveability.

Quick Reply: All my mods dyno'd at sound performance in Chicago