Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

For those of you fearful of hydrolocking from CAI's...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
For those of you fearful of hydrolocking from CAI's...

Just wanted to share my own personal anecdote. So this afternoon at about 12 pm I headed from Austin to Dallas. It was bare drizzling this morning, but many of you know, it's been raining like cats and dogs crazyyyyy while I was driving up here. So as soon as I left Austin, it started POURING like crazy... I was a bit worried and was like well chit, what if my filters get wet and I hydro lock my engine? But since I was already on the road, and nothing was happening... I continued on my way. I had cars, 18 wheelers, and trucks even splash water onto my windshield... I was looking at the cars passing by and they had SO MUCH WATER in their fenders and wheel spinning off from the tires and I even hit some water puddles. The whole time, I was pretty fearful of the hydro locking issue.... but I am home now and there was not one issue. I think the way the injen CAI sits above the cover tray and protected by the faux vents... it is really difficult to get water into the intake filter... you have to SUBMERGE the damn thing in water for it to hydrolock....

Just my 2 cents... obviously it's personal experience and only take what happened to me as a grain of salt. And obviously, don't try to soak your CAI underwater to try to hydrolock it.

P.S. I do not condone driving in the rain with CAI's... I won't do it again
Old 03-13-2009, 06:55 PM
06banshee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol im removing my fake air vents...And im in miami we get crazy rain...but i wont be driving threw puddles
Old 03-13-2009, 07:31 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best advice is don't gas it through large puddles, just let the car coast. When you hit the accelerator the intakes are going to suck harder, in idle they don't generate enough suction to pull water up the pipes.

And obviously don't be trying to ford any rivers, this ain't Oregon Trail.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 PM
jnguyen

told you foool, or was it Still ballin. I dont remember who i told lol but i was never afraid of hydrolock from the G. its pretty cover from below. Doesnt Injen or KN sell the watershield for the injen intakes too?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

lol you probably told still ballin bro... lol

i think i have seen the watershield for sale... for K&N but i don't think it's necessary... you just block more airflow

so when you sporting that INJEN CAI joseph?
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by aliiin
lol you probably told still ballin bro... lol

i think i have seen the watershield for sale... for K&N but i don't think it's necessary... you just block more airflow

so when you sporting that INJEN CAI joseph?
got it in today bruh lol. I put the driver side on already. Took 1 hour lmao but i didnt take my bumper off. Didnt put filter on cause i was running late for work and now i can't wait to go home to go through wheel well and install driver Filter then off to the passenger side. Then im put these sucker in then i cant drive it or even turn the car on to test the sound or anything LMAO. I pick a bad week to ship off my Ok(enter button) to Danny(bruin) to solder the KPtech NI35 for me. Hopefully it comes in tomorrow cause he ship overnight today but when i get it, i have to wire it all up and do some splicing and stuff then after i can turn my car on and test the injen and kptech at same time
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL you were freaking out about hydrolock mang
Old 03-13-2009, 08:15 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
LOL you were freaking out about hydrolock mang
i was bro, not gonna lie i was gonna have a heart attack but it was fine my brotha!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:16 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

LoL I was actually having this conversation with UCLA BRUIN today, unless you drive your car off a pier or a bridge and fall in to a lake,ocean or anything like that you should be fine
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

hahahahaha man drive it off a pier... lmfao where did you come up with that one?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:19 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

lol lmao I always see that kind of **** in movies
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
lol lmao I always see that kind of **** in movies
thats nothing. I was at the Lake one time and i see these kids driving there ATV in to the water but stay on top the water for about 5 second.
i was like Fock that. Put my Car in DS mode and i launch my car and gun it. I rode on top of the water for about half a mile then turn back and got back on land without hydrolocking.

I see the picture of your new kit emil?
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks for the write up, i feel a bit less scared about my stillen's in the rain.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by Retromoe
thanks for the write up, i feel a bit less scared about my stillen's in the rain.
haha well this thread is about Injen cold air so i dont know how much help is there but all i know is as long you not slamming your pedal then you should be fine plus you shouldnt be speeding in the rain anyway

by the way emil, i lied about the dyno lmao i just wanted to see what u say but i am getting in like next week lol
Old 03-13-2009, 08:28 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

I had the Stillens 3G during the worst rain storms in L.A. and it held up pretty fine. Like Jnguyen said, you shouldnt be driving fast.

and yes that is a front lip, you need to get on AIM so I can tell you!

Quick Reply: For those of you fearful of hydrolocking from CAI's...