Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review BONE STOCK vs Injen CAI same day dyno fun

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 01:48 PM
elite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmm.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:01 PM
jarborn1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So bottom line, i can run "lean" with just an intake (No tune) without doing damage to my motor ?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 PM
DCook42

Great review man, thanks for the insight!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jarborn1
So bottom line, i can run "lean" with just an intake (No tune) without doing damage to my motor ?
You can do it!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 02:23 PM
jarborn1

Nice. Injen here i come !!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:32 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
So whats the verdict? Stillen or Injen gives more power?

The way i see it:

Stillen:
Pro: Filter is higher up and in better location
Con: Have to cut radiator support

Injen:
Pro: Slightly better power gain
Con: Chance of hydrolock and need new wiper fluid container
Old 02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
It's be really helpful if someone could do a Stillen vs. Injen dyno comparison on the same day same dyno.

=P
Old 02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cut radiator support? What?

I think hydrolock is debatable. I'd rather replace a new wiper fluid bottle (less work and can return to original) than physically (permanently) cut OEM parts. I like both intakes. Look for my next review, I'm gonna have Stillen on 1 side and Injen on the other.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:58 PM
jarborn1

^^ lolol
Old 02-24-2009, 04:01 PM
C@ciQ

I already jump on it. One more for Andy at Hpautoworks. They should compliment my new FI HFC and exhaust from Tony at Fast Intentions... Hooooaaaaaah!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 PM
06banshee

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thinking of jumping on this or a stillen gen 3 intake now instead of exhaust...all i have is test pipes you guys think i will see any big gains like this??
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
ucla bruin

Buy me a Stillen gen3 and I'll get back to you
Old 02-24-2009, 04:29 PM
ucla bruin

Originally Posted by LSUg37
What i was saying is that the power gain shown could be from the leaning out of the fuel due to the new intake just being put on. From my tuning experience on american cars which are not nearly as smart or technical as these cars, when you first put a new part on you can show gains like this but your computer will compensate by adding more fuel to the motor since it is now getting more air. The only true way to go back to back would be by reseting the ecu letting it relearn the air flow and seeing how much power you make after this.

Now if you have a after market tuner you can keep this "lean" mixture indefinantly and keep the power
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
yes that is where you get your HP from.... stock + injen got ucla 16.5 due to leaning it out... I would bet alot of money that if ucla did a stock + exhaust dyno he would get around the same numbers +/- a couple. and again Id bet alot of money that if ucla dyno his car with exhaust + injen he would get around the same numbers as well....

A/F ratio is where its at with this car. If you want power... get a power adder...

I know what you guys are saying and I had the same concern. But that is all under the assumptions that our ECU learns/adjusts slowly (which is why someone would suggest a reset) and that the A/F ratio after adding the intake will be way off ( if reeaally lean) so you'd want to request more fuel via a resetted ECU.

But our ECU is very smart and acts very quickly. It starts thinking and working right when you turn on the car, which is also why it's so hard to get power from it. I think when people say "you'll run lean and it can damage your engine" it scares those that not sure what you mean by lean and HOW lean are you defining "lean". Stock A/F runs a bit on the rich side so any small margin can be compensated and allows the CAI to draw power. I don't want to get into an epic debate about resetting the ECU (our ECU is extremely intelligent) but with my understanding, it is not needed with this CAI, cannot speak for others. There are a lot more (techy) reasons to support my finding but I'll leave it at that.

Details I left out:
The place I went to for dyno (SP engineering, very big in Supra community, I saw M6, 2 GTRs, and NSX, and a few more high end cars being worked on, some engine swaps) charges $$$ for dyno time by the hour! The cost per hour is in the hundreds and I was there for a good few hrs since the install was done on the dyno as well . Also we all know that Injen's CAI is not that cheap either. So, I made an effort to find out everything I can, talking to knowledgeable, credible tuners that I know, to answer every questions that I HAD. I like to know everything there is to know when I invest this much time and effort into something. Most of all, I had to believe and know how it worked before I can share all this with you.

Now go outside and give your G a hug for its awesome ECU

Last edited by ucla bruin; 02-24-2009 at 04:43 PM.
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (07-26-2022)
Old 02-24-2009, 04:42 PM
G_Thang

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
yes that is where you get your HP from.... stock + injen got ucla 16.5 due to leaning it out... I would bet alot of money that if ucla did a stock + exhaust dyno he would get around the same numbers +/- a couple. and again Id bet alot of money that if ucla dyno his car with exhaust + injen he would get around the same numbers as well....

A/F ratio is where its at with this car. If you want power... get a power adder...

The power gains from a cold air intake comes from the cold charge air. Since the air from the CAI is colder than that from stock intake, it has a greater density. If you increase your charge density you can increase fueling and still operate around stochiometric (14.7 for gasoline I.C.).
The following users liked this post:
abrecos (07-26-2022)
Old 02-24-2009, 04:45 PM
ucla bruin

Stoichiometric ratio FTW.

Quick Reply: Review BONE STOCK vs Injen CAI same day dyno fun