Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intake tube with stock box?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:47 AM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gtracing
no...the ribbed section doesn't do crap...reason for the ribbed section is so there's flex in the pipe if the engine ever moves too much...

besides, we're not driving cars with carbs...it's all fuel injected....the fuel injectors inject the fuel like a fine mist...therefore the mixture is always perfect...the turbulance stuff is bullcrap
just read through this thread...please tell me people don't actually think the engine moves enough to mandate rubber tubing. That is possibly the most assanine thing I've heard...if you're engine were moving that much you have bigger problems than what kind of tubing.

Yes, they are ribbed to create a turbulant flow, but I agree that it is all talk. However, the mixture is not always perfect...that is quite an assumption
Old 05-04-2010, 11:55 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i don't understand why you'd replace the tube?
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Ahujadaddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lots of people with the 1st gen G35 would replace the tube with one from a 350z since that one did not have baffles. hence louder sound from the 350z tube. perfect for people combining i with a jwt pop charger.

in the case of our 2nd gens... don't think there is any benefit at all.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyone else order the cobb tubes?

I'm getting closer to buying them.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:58 PM
37Gs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cost and flex are two of the three reasons the factory maf tube has ribbing. The other is to slow the air flow and cause a disrtuption when the tb is closed fast to prevent the air from slamming into the tb butterfly and rebound back-flow into the maf causing a/f ratio issues -lean/rich. It works agains the smooth flow more hp factor but helps drivability issues or harsh downshifts, etc. The maf cal. is used for trany shift psi., rpm etc., as well. Most cars that have a hot wire maf have this type of tube. However, it just has become ind. standard and on the 3.7 may or may not cause issue. I know on my 00' Saleen this caused all kinds of false a/r readings. Did it cause a "problem" is a diff question. I think it works more toward the EPA concerns these days and fuel saving rather than a perfomance issue. MFG. can program the ECU to ignore I would assume so... that's my understanding anyway.