Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Installed the Stillen 3rd Generation Intake today, Very pleased

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Installed the Stillen 3rd Generation Intake today, Very pleased

I originally planned to install my Intake & Grounding kit, But by the time i was done with the intake, the sun started to set. Pictures/Video below.

Started around 12:00PM, 40-45 Degrees, Nice sunshine.

Used a Dremel 300 Along with 10MM socket to open up the bumper. First started off with removing the bumper, Big thanks to Igor for the DIY on how to remove the bumper.. Here's some of the steps i took. Used the Stillen installation manual to help me out (obviously).

- You definitely have to remove the bumper if you want to ease up the process of cutting the holes, Also remove the styrofoam, Just pull it towards your self lighty and it will just slide out.

- Took out the bumper (There's bolts that are under the car that have to be removed also about a good 7 or more of them from left to right EXCEPT the 3 or 4 bolts that are lined up together behind the front bolts 7 or more bolts), placed it aside, Removed the clips on the top and bolt's that were around the Stock air holes.

- Remove the radiator cover and its bolts from left to right, Un-bolt the Anti freeze reservoir to move the cover up a little bit and the cover comes out, I didn't remove the wires that were un-neath it, Only the ones that were clipped into the cover and just moved it on top of the engine for some more space

- Used my Dremel 300 to open up the holes, Worked perfectly until i was finishing up the Driver's side hole(It just started blowing out smoke and wouldn't start up back, good thing i finished the cutting process), I Double wrapped a microfiber towel around the AC lines just to be-careful, But the drivers side i didn't cut any part of the lower hole, Just the Left side and the upper part and the intake fitted perfectly.

- Removed the stock intakes, Start aligning the pipes together so they work out straight from top to the front of the engine, before screwing it in.

- Mounted the Mount bracket thing that goes behind the grille to hold the intakes in place, Then mounted the Intake cover, Then began screwing the upper & lower parts of the intake up together, Screwed on the Intakes to the mounting bracket.

-After that i was about 98% Completed, Had to fix the Radiator cover back up, Also Re-install the bumper along with putting in the bolts and clips un-neath and on top of the bumper.

Installation may sound like a breeze but it was pretty hard (9/10). As for the gains, You definitely get a 100% gain you can definitely feel it + hear it, Throttle response is amazing + the "Roar" from the intakes are amazing. I ended up almost red-lining a few times while driving (DS mode), The price may be steep but definitely worth it if your looking for more juice out of the engine.

Video - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t=MOV00841.flv (sorry the video was kinda lame i just layed the camera on top of the radiator cover lol).

Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
welcome to the club bro! you're gna LOVE the sound when they break in!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Retromoe

Originally Posted by G37Sam
welcome to the club bro! you're gna LOVE the sound when they break in!!
break in? they already sound amazing, i also noticed we own the same colors lol, Thanks!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:13 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
omg thats sick!! im still deciding between this and R2C powerflow intakes

the sound clip is hella nice too!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Retromoe

Originally Posted by xlack
omg thats sick!! im still deciding between this and R2C powerflow intakes

the sound clip is hella nice too!!!
Thanks, Get them you wont be disappointed.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:20 PM
fkat
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking of getting this as well but can't quite figure what it would sound like from the hood videos and people talking. I found this. Does this sound like a Stillen CAI only or exhaust is modded also? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBK0pNZzYBk
Old 02-15-2009, 12:59 PM
DanMardik

Sorry to hear about your dremel tool.

Otherwise great job! Thanks for the review.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Retromoe

Originally Posted by fkat
Thinking of getting this as well but can't quite figure what it would sound like from the hood videos and people talking. I found this. Does this sound like a Stillen CAI only or exhaust is modded also? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBK0pNZzYBk
Sounds like only an Intake but then again stillen's car so who knows it might have some more mods.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 PM
akuma_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice ride bro ! cant wait for mine to come in... looks like alot of work just to put the bad boys on... but im pretty sure it would be worth it in the end ! laters !
Old 02-26-2009, 09:47 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
nice.