Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Stillen Gen 3 Installed (Pix & Vids)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Stillen Gen 3 Installed (Pix & Vids)

Lookie lookie lookie, got a treat under my hoodie haha

Yup, install wasn't the easiest thing I've done, and that was why I didn't do it.. I watched and learned instead.. And yes, we did remove the bumper to make our lives easier

The shop didn't used a dremel tool to cut the holes, instead he used a simple cutting tool (looked like a wired knife that went back n forth).. Here's a pic of the legendary holes that need to be cut

Apart from that, everything went smooth.. MAF sensors sat in perfectly, didn't need to be hammered in like on my friends X brand intakes. Fitment in general was nice, filters are sitting comfortably I only am worrying about cleaning them later on because I know for a fact it's going to be a PITA. Here's a video I recorded after the install, I could barely hear them when first installed since they haven't much broken in and two, the sound of that FI catback was dominating crazily

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/L45akF9uHGk&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

Now the exciting part, the gains.. I don't know where to start with those to be frank. I mean who thought intakes would mean more than just a sound mod.. These suckers do make power! Loved the improved throttle response and the "jump" you get with every minimal throttle hit left a smile on my face to this very moment..

I still thought however all those were psychological gains (you know, you spend 2 hours installing something and getting your hands all greased up, you start believing that it made gains even if someone secretely installed the stock boxes back in lol) so here's what I did..

Called up my homeboy, he has a magnaflow catback, stillen gen 2 intakes AND UR Crank Pulley installed on his G.. We went to this semi drag strip isolated road.. off the line, there were times where he kept up with me but I was ahead, at other times I'd be pulling away slowly from him.. was really impressed with the results.. we then tried from rolling starts at 20mph on 1st, we'd stick on each others rear bumpers and we interchanged leads with every run.. no engine overheat after that (a concern I had), temperature was a little over normal (obviously since I've been flooring it for the past 20 mins) Those results did put an evil grin on my face, espacially that buy then, I started hearing their growl and it started getting louder! it was a matter of minutes before I was back in the city hunting 335s lol

In conclusion, couldn't be happier, gains arent a myth, install's a b!tch and cleaning them is going to be a bigger one lol

Only concern right now is the car wash... We'll keep you posted on how that goes...

Car Wash Update 17-02-09:

I grew some more ***** and went for it.. Just told the car wash guy to not direct water into the grill.. I'd also like to add, he was pumping pressurized water.. The guy however seemed like he didn't get a word I said and started with the grill lol
So I was like F it.. By the time he was done washing, crossed my fingers and switched her on.. She seemed fine.. Then I floored her and she was just perfect
The grill is designed in a way that unless you stick the hose inside the grill, water won't get in there..<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Video Update 18-02-09:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBohigwkADY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YBohigwkADY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sam

Last edited by G37Sam; 02-18-2009 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Retromoe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet, I'm installing mines next week. No one haven't had any problems with washing the car or anything right? Any pre-cautions to take?

Sam, what did you do with those 4 plastic straps stillen provided?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:14 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
glad you like em!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by Retromoe
Sweet, I'm installing mines next week. No one haven't had any problems with washing the car or anything right? Any pre-cautions to take?

Sam, what did you do with those 4 plastic straps stillen provided?
Not sure what you're referring to bro.. but everything in that box came to use
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 PM
machinist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam, glad to hear you're liking the results. I've never considered getting the Stillen Gen 3 intake until today. I drive an auto, so do you think it's still worth it for me?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great review sam.i want this so bad but i got other things i got do first haha
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
jnguyen

Originally Posted by machinist
Sam, glad to hear you're liking the results. I've never considered getting the Stillen Gen 3 intake until today. I drive an auto, so do you think it's still worth it for me?
it doesnt matter if its a auto or not. i think stick and auto would get the same HP gain cause same engine. Still ballin got it on his auto and he got 14 whp gain
Old 02-12-2009, 09:15 PM
machinist

Originally Posted by jnguyen
it doesnt matter if its a auto or not. i think stick and auto would get the same HP gain cause same engine. Still ballin got it on his auto and he got 14 whp gain
****...now that IS good news...Still ballin's an awesome guy too!....man, I keep finding things to spend money on...seems like it never ends. I just broke my car last week (2,000 km) and ever since then, I love pressing the gas...makes my nipples hard...lol
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
****...now that IS good news...Still ballin's an awesome guy too!....man, I keep finding things to spend money on...seems like it never ends. I just broke my car last week (2,000 km) and ever since then, I love pressing the gas...makes my nipples hard...lol
HAHAHAHAHA makes your nipples hard... lmfao
Old 02-12-2009, 09:18 PM
jnguyen

HAHAHAH LMFAO nice but yeah this is def worth it. on a modded car it gets like 11 hp too. im get this soon
Old 02-12-2009, 09:21 PM
machinist

Yeah dude, I think I'm gonna party less this month, spend less on booze and just put it into my ride...Stillen Gen 3 intakes it is then! For some reason, I just wanna pull up next to an old person sitting on a bench, press hard on the gass and make their pacemaker skip a beat...i know i know, I'm going straight to hell...along with my G
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Wicked_limitz
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice & congrats, plan on picking this intake up aswell.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 PM
CrackHeadMonsta

Awesome

Why does everything look dusty? lol
Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
jnguyen

sam you fail, where your GTspec strut bar
Old 02-12-2009, 11:40 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

ah!! stop tempting me! ;[ i gotta stop spending. These definitely sound good Sam! Its exactly what i want, with the FI exhaust in the rear.

keep the mods coming!

Quick Reply: Review Stillen Gen 3 Installed (Pix & Vids)