Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 03:40 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust!

Well I got my Tanabe system in today from gripmotorsports.com and I must say I am very impressed and love the sound this thing makes. I had never heard of gripmotorsports before, but after reading around they seemed ok and I gave it a shot. Buisness with them was excellent. I ordered the system monday night and recieved it today (friday) afternoon. Overall I think I got an incredible deal on this exhaust. Now onto the exhaust itself.

Our biggest problem we ran into was actually getting the stock exhaust off itself. Using just rachets and some spray to loosen up the nuts and bolts we were able to get two off very easily, but the other too would not budge. Finally we went out and bought an impact gun for the compressor and after alot of work we were able to get it off. Installing the Tanabe was fairly straight forward. We only ran into one slight problem that was fixed pretty easily. On the stock exhuast there are two of those rubber dampener things (not sure on the technical term) on the left and one on the right. Well on the Tanabe the rear dampener thing was not lining up all the way not allowing it to go completly on. We were able to shorten it and bend it enough for it to go on though. After that both sides fit right on and bolted down just fine. They allignment was almost spot on too.

The fit and finish on this exhaust is outstanding. The stainless looks outstanding compared to the stock system. The sound is just as nice. On start up you can definatly tell it is different but is in no way too loud. Idling you can hardly tell a difference at all. Under load it is amazing. Acceleration and cruising at normal speeds with the windows up it has a slightly deeper and louder growl over stock, but nothing too demanding. When you get on it the sound is incredible and you can really hear a difference after about 4000 RPM.

Overall I am extremely pleased with this set up. The look and sound is exactly what I was going for. I thought about going full cat back like FI or similar but am glad I didn't as they would have been way too loud for what I want. I know the power wont be as much as full cat back but i think this system still provides a small amount of increase in HP. Pickup seemed alittle better on the low end and seemed to pull hard all the way through the RPM range.

Before everyone asks, It is extremely late and I am ready to pass out and will get pics up tomorrow along with some sound clips (if my computer cooperates)

Edit: PICS!!!
Here are a couple pics I snapped earlier today. Tomorrow I should be able to get some better ones along with clips, that is if the wind dies down.

UPDATE! crappy video... But better than nothing. This was right after we got it on. Weather still sucks here maybe tomorrow it will be good enough to shoot. Oh and just ignore my friend talking.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoCs2cE_Tps&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GoCs2cE_Tps&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Click for HD

UPDATE! better video
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EsDSZd282WY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EsDSZd282WY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Click Here and watch in HD Oh and turn it up a bit.

Last edited by wakeboardr116; 12-17-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:00 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great review man, glad that you took the shot on the 500 dollar tanabe now maybe other will know to trust gripmotorsport to get the nice deal too!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:20 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thanks for your opinions, I'm glad you like it. I though you would. It will get louder as it gets broken in so be prepared for it. It'll start to gave a little bit of a low drone while cruising, not too bad, but definitely there. The sound from that beast in lower gears under full acceleration is amazing, isn't it? Very sexy. Go full throttle under a big underpass with your windows down. Take an extra pair of underwear with you because you may cream your pants.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 AM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Thanks for your opinions, I'm glad you like it. I though you would. It will get louder as it gets broken in so be prepared for it. It'll start to gave a little bit of a low drone while cruising, not too bad, but definitely there. The sound from that beast in lower gears under full acceleration is amazing, isn't it? Very sexy. Go full throttle under a big underpass with your windows down. Take an extra pair of underwear with you because you may cream your pants.
LOL and +1
Old 12-13-2008, 03:34 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tanabe owners unite.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:31 PM
ufo
Registered Member

I was just waiting for an excuse to get the Tanabe anyway, so you did me a fave wakeboardr, thanks
Old 12-14-2008, 12:03 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
pics and sound clip no or Max will get out the ban hammer
Old 12-14-2008, 12:04 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by ufo
I was just waiting for an excuse to get the Tanabe anyway, so you did me a fave wakeboardr, thanks
No problem, glad I was able to help. I drove for about an hour and a half on the highway today and it was great. Practically no drone at all, cruising at 70 it was almost as quiet as stock, that is until you get on it. Then it's a whole nother animal. I showed it to a couple of my friends and they couldn't believe how it sounded. I've been busy all day and just got back. I'll get some pics up here in 30 min. or so.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:39 AM
wakeboardr116

Pics up in the original post.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I think I may go with Tanabe as well. FI is likely too loud for my taste.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 AM
ufo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Pics up in the original post.
wakeboardr you are a big effing stud
Old 12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
dhhG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I also installed the Tanabe exhaust - love it. perfect sound. Had the same issue with removing the stock exhaust. 2 bolts came off easily; 3rd bolt took a bit more; and the 4th I had to jack up the rear end to get more leverage. Stuck a pipe on the ratchet handle and that worked.

Had the Tanabe's on in 15 minutest - piece of cake.

I was waiting for UPS truck and they were running late - so I worked on removing the stock exhaust and had them sitting on the floor when he pulled up. was 7pm and I was on my way by 7:30pm.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Csquared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do the Sedan ones sound the same? Cause after what black betty said, i want to cream my pants as i go through a tunnel hahaha.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:18 AM
wakeboardr116

UPDATE!! vid in original post.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 PM
wakeboardr116

another vid in original post. Better too!

Quick Reply: Review Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust!