Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 11:20 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the opposite affect, for me it got quieter after break in, took about 6 hours of driving. That's what made me want to try a Y-pipe to bring back some volume and that it did. For being rated at 93db's it's definately not a quiet exhaust, but then not a screamer either, well suited for those that want to hear it but not be overly annoyed by it. An HFC might just push it into drone though.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 12-17-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Graham
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm suprised you had that many issues with the install, mine was pretty uneventful. WD-40 worked on the 3 mounts for me, and with the help of some painters tape in the tip cutouts on the body, I wiggled it out without tools.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:41 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The concensus is that the sound does quiet down a bit. Mine are a bit quieter at idle, but still sound great at wot. Aside from the sound, I think these are the best looking mufflers (both in design and build quality) out for the car. Only thing comparable costs twice as much.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:57 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The concensus is that the sound does quiet down a bit. Mine are a bit quieter at idle, but still sound great at wot. Aside from the sound, I think these are the best looking mufflers (both in design and build quality) out for the car. Only thing comparable costs twice as much.
Agreed. I am still amazed everytime I look at it at the quality of the system.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
I had the opposite affect, for me it got quieter after break in, took about 6 hours of driving. That's what made me want to try a Y-pipe to bring back some volume and that it did. For being rated at 93db's it's definately not a quiet exhaust, but then not a screamer either, well suited for those that want to hear it but not be overly annoyed by it. An HFC might just push it into drone though.
In retrospect, I wonder if that was a factor for me??? I had the HFC on before the Tanabe and they were slightly used when I bought them, probably just broken in. Perhaps that is the reason for my slightly unacceptible sound level and slight drone at higher speeds.

Still, the sound from them was the perfect tone IMO.
Old 12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
andrew4fins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got mine last week and put them on Friday. Took 15 minutes. Easiest exhaust switch out I've ever done. I just got my G a few months ago, coming from a 06 Mustang GT with a flash, intake, Borla set up that was LOUD...I was the neighbors alarm clock.

I got the G because I was ready for some more creature comforts plus I wanted a more upscale vehicle....but I want it to sound like a sports car! I wanted to keep the sound to fit the car. The Tanabe does not dissapoint. I think it is what it should sound like from factory. Very nice sound and just "fits" what I wanted perfectly. It's there, you know it's there...but not annoying. Neighbors saw me up on ramps and went OMG, he's doing an exhaust...but after hearing it they like it too..ha ha.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:09 PM
vinnys coupe

how does the tanabe feel compared to stock?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:07 PM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
how does the tanabe feel compared to stock?
It's great, when you first put it on it is pretty loud but once it breaks in after about 6 hours or so of driving it's perfect. Like andrew4fins said, it's there and you know it but its not annoying or anything. And when you open it up is when it really shines. My dad drove it the other dad and said he liked it, just normal driving it sounds good and is not loud but definatly not stock and when you let off the gas its almost like stock.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:31 PM
Graham
Premier Member

I'm going to try, if I do end up following through and getting a G37x Sedan, having the tanabe canisters mounted on a Sedan, I'm hoping the simple design will just require chopping the piping off and just bending up some custom tubes to the back axle. I want to keep that good sound if I change it up.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:46 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Tanabe exhaust revving......how cute

I'll downgrade to that if my exhaust ever gets too loud for me, all my friends with tanabe, when they rev, everyone giggles, gives a comment of how not loud it is and they couldnt hear nothing, but when you're inside it sounds nice! And if you're right behind it it sounds pretty decent, nothing aggressive though. I guess it depends on what your flavor is.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Graham
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G37Rider92649
Tanabe exhaust revving......how cute

I'll downgrade to that if my exhaust ever gets too loud for me, all my friends with tanabe, when they rev, everyone giggles, gives a comment of how not loud it is and they couldnt hear nothing, but when you're inside it sounds nice! And if you're right behind it it sounds pretty decent, nothing aggressive though. I guess it depends on what your flavor is.
Yeah, I wasn't looking to draw to much attention or disrupt my neighbors as I leave every morning at 6:15 am. Because I know I'd be really happy to be woken by a loud exhaust.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM
G37Rider92649
Banned

Agree to that!

Unless you a little menace and like to disturb
Old 12-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Csquared

If you get the sedan why not just get the exhaust they made for the sedan? It's under the same series so should sound the same.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:08 PM
chris9012

alright well ill give my little review with tanabes and berks. start up i was like whoaaa didnt see that coming. rev up nicee. than i drove off i was like damnnn i totally didnt expect it to be that loud because of that whole 93db claim.

i am a very indecisive person so after getting this driving home on the highway a tiny bit of drone in the cabin(5at) i got into a mini tunnel/underpass WOT and my girl and i were like whoa thats sexy. but only problem is cruising for me its real deep and kind of loud 1-2.5k rpm. around 3 and up thats where the sexiness starts. I had my friend drive it around while i was outside and loved it it sounds amazing. but the only thing that bothers me is the noise in cabin which im getting used to. i had someone on bluetooth and was driving than WOT they were like is that your car? i was like you can hear that? yes. stock they cant hear it.

Install: After seeing it done i could probably do it myself but take a much longer time and i cant do much things by myself technical wise changing reverse bulbs were a big deal for me. It took them 15 min very quick.

Quality: So sexy the guys at the shop who did it and I were like wow the old mufflers are heavy and gross the tanabes are nice and shiny.

Sound: much much deeper sound. sounds crazy 4k and up like its LOUD idk i probably couldn't deal with a louder exhaust liek FI carbon fiber cause that would be overdoing it this is just right maybe a little to much FOR ME.

Overall: Great product. Price Retail idk if i would regret it but for the price i got i can not complain and im happy. I dont know how it would sound without the berks but for me its quite loud and my friends are liek damnn thats crazy. one person said sounded like a ferrari but hes not that into cars so i didnt get that excited lol

Last edited by chris9012; 12-24-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 PM
RedG37SNC

It should quiet down quiet a bit after break in, it really will be a night and day difference and the tone will become more refined, the 93db measurement was taken with everything else stock I'm sure. Even with HFC's you won't have to worry about being chased by Rice hunters looking for fart canon videos.

Quick Reply: Review Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust!