Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.
View Poll Results: HFC CEL?
Berk's HFC and no CEL
36.92%
FI's HFC and no CEL
18.46%
Berk's HFC and have CEL
18.46%
FI's HFC and have CEL
13.85%
Berk's HFC, had CEL, but it's been fixed
4.62%
FI's HFC, had CEL, but it's been fixed
7.69%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

HFC CEL poll

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ya it will get deeper. or that is what i found
Old 12-30-2008, 03:24 PM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have better luck with our HFC's because we've always included a permanent non-fouler fix on all of our HFC's. The others are playing catchup and are now copying our design.

One caveat that nobody wants to tell you is that there is no 100% guaranteed CEL fix for these cars. Even with the OEM cats in place cars will throw the occasional CEL. Your chances of CEL go up when you put our high flow cats. The HFC's are much more free flowing than the stock units and just don't scrub the exhaust gas as well as the OEM cats do.

they did do nothing for me i called and asked for advice they gave me no help and no posiable solution. I then call tony and he was more than willing to help. I don't call that biased it is fact.
You guys are my customers, and without you I would be out of a job. I treat every one with the respect and the dignity that you deserve. It pains me to rain on people's parade when I tell them that CEL free operation isn't absolutely guaranteed, but that is the truth, and the truth isn't always what everyone wants to hear.

If you or anyone else calls us, we'll give you all the advice that we can. Advice is always free! We run our operation lean and mean over here so we don't always have the time to chat with you guys on the forums. Shumby if there's something that we can do to make things feel right with you I"m all ears.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:53 AM
G_Thang

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shumby
Had Berk HFC's had a CEL from day one. Not worried about it though it is only a O2 cel why get so out of shape about it iy dose not hurt performance.
You know the O2 sensor provides the ECM with info it needs to maintain a stochiometric A/F ratio and helps to ensure fuel injector pulse width is optimal under lights loads and constant speeds right? Running to lean will increase in cylinder temps and pressures and EGT, while running rich will obviously decrease mpg, dramatically raise in cylinder temps and pressures, and make EGT sky rocket, not to mention expel tons if unburned hydro carbons and the high EGT can easily melt catalytic converter substrate. You can imagine this elevated heat is not good for the engine.

I would not suggest ignoring the CEL when its tripped by the O2 sensor, but thats just my 2 cents!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:57 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Thang
You know the O2 sensor provides the ECM with info it needs to maintain a stochiometric A/F ratio and helps to ensure fuel injector pulse width is optimal under lights loads and constant speeds right? Running to lean will increase in cylinder temps and pressures and EGT, while running rich will obviously decrease mpg, dramatically raise in cylinder temps and pressures, and make EGT sky rocket, not to mention expel tons if unburned hydro carbons and the high EGT can easily melt catalytic converter substrate. You can imagine this elevated heat is not good for the engine.

I would not suggest ignoring the CEL when its tripped by the O2 sensor, but thats just my 2 cents!!!

The feedback you are talking about for maintaining a stochiometric A/F ratio come from the O2 sensors before the cats. The O2 sensors after the cats measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters and do not control any engine functions. The CEL received from adding HFC's is due to the rear O2 sensors.
You should always check to make sure those are what are throwing the code, but after that one can ignore the CEL if one can live like that.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:39 PM
tristan1334

AAM HFC have CEL after a week.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
sahiwal007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how can you remove the cel light? anyway or is it permanent?
Old 02-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Skyline-LEXY

Originally Posted by sahiwal007
how can you remove the cel light? anyway or is it permanent?
You can reset your ECU by doing the "famous paddle dance" or disconnect the battery.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:43 PM
Lucky_One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berks HFC with SES light. people who have Berks...what was your solution to remove the SES light?
Old 03-01-2009, 04:43 PM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Originally Posted by Lucky_One
Berks HFC with SES light. people who have Berks...what was your solution to remove the SES light?
Most of them have been resolved by now. We'll help you guys out to get that pesky CEL light to stay off. The P0420 & P0430 codes are more of a nuisance than anything. They do not effect the performance of the car in any way whatsoever.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
tristan1334

Would you be able to help me too? Since I can't get help anywhere else.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:06 AM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan1334
Would you be able to help me too? Since I can't get help anywhere else.
Even though it's not my product I'd be happy to give it a shot. Can you give me some history?

Mods on the car?
How long on the car? miles?
What are the codes exactly?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:32 PM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by BerkTechnology
Even though it's not my product I'd be happy to give it a shot. Can you give me some history?

Mods on the car?
How long on the car? miles?
What are the codes exactly?

Giving me a shot is better than nothing. I thank you for that.
I have stock intakes w/ k&n's, AAM HFC & y-pipe and Cobb Ap. HFC's been on my car for 6 months now and the CEL usually comes on after a day or two. I have 8k miles on the car. Codes are p0420 and p0430 from catalyst banks 1 & 2. I could clear the codes using the AP but it does come back again and again.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:37 AM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Originally Posted by tristan1334
Giving me a shot is better than nothing. I thank you for that.
I have stock intakes w/ k&n's, AAM HFC & y-pipe and Cobb Ap. HFC's been on my car for 6 months now and the CEL usually comes on after a day or two. I have 8k miles on the car. Codes are p0420 and p0430 from catalyst banks 1 & 2. I could clear the codes using the AP but it does come back again and again.
Well some good news for you, those codes are telling me the O2 sensors are functioning properly, it's just that they aren't getting a reading that makes the ECU happy. Do your HFC's have non-foulers built into them? And did your HFC's come with gaskets or did they have you use some ghetto RTV silicone?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:38 AM
BerkTechnology
Banned

PS - when I say gaskets I mean collector gaskets (header/cat flange).

Not the HFC/Y-pipe flange, those gaskets mean squat here.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 PM
tristan1334

Originally Posted by BerkTechnology
Well some good news for you, those codes are telling me the O2 sensors are functioning properly, it's just that they aren't getting a reading that makes the ECU happy. Do your HFC's have non-foulers built into them? And did your HFC's come with gaskets or did they have you use some ghetto RTV silicone?
My HFC's does not have a non-foulers. It did came with gaskets (headers-hfc) but the guy still put that ghetto ultra copper stuff on it. I thought it was ok too. lol
I could get a pair non-foulers, if you think that will work. Will it just bolt-in on the hfc's?

Quick Reply: HFC CEL poll