Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Stillen 3G intake and ECU chip = Engine overheat!! Trying to figure out why?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:39 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
So here's an update:
My friend got his car back from the Unichip guys and had his chip removed.. everything back to stock now. Car still overheated!!!
We just got back from the garage where the install was made, tech dude checked the car out and said everything was fine. Then we took off the Stillen 3G's put the stockers back on and It's like this guy is playing magic.. temperature is back to normal!
GUYS I WANT THIS INTAKE TO WORK MORE THAN YOU DO! I'm not anti-stillen or anything i'm just posting here to get more feedback and hopefully some from Kyle (who still didn't reply to my PM btw lol)
Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow @ update. Very interesting.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hmmmmm very interesting.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM
willizm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I would call Stillen directly and see what they recommend. Make sure you tell them where you are located as there may be some odd difference between regions.

People need to settle down here. This is a forum where people can voice their problems. To say this thread is not needed is ridiculous. The problem did not exist until he added the intake and he gave the other variable being the chip so please settle down and don't get your panties in a wad. Some of you guys are acting like he is bashing the intake when he wants the thing to work. Give him a break.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Were all wrong. lol

BUT, this unichip has really got me bent out of shape. G37Sam I know our ECU's adapt to certain things, like a tune or whatever you want to call it. Can you make sure your friend resets the ecu via the pedal method or battery disconnect just so the ECU can start fresh. The onboard computer mightve adapted bad habbits from this mystery chip, and using these bad habbits even though the chip is off. I'm sorry for bashing but I just CANT see a "unichip" doing anything beneficial to a G37.

Last edited by tfmbigdog99; 11-17-2008 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:50 AM
nogoodname
Banned

wow, I thought the intakes wouldnt overheat the G......there goes that idea.

how warm is the temperature over there??....40 C ....lol
Old 11-17-2008, 10:58 AM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In the desert? Maybe 50°C!!! lol
Old 11-17-2008, 11:43 AM
xo4ox

In Dubai the temp is between 33-27°C these days
Old 11-17-2008, 02:21 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
guys, How could the region effect anything? They didnt change the engine for g's going to dubai. Put it this way, I have the intakes installed, with the splash guard. I was driving around in 105 degree weather with my temp at 3 notches above 0, not even in the middle of C and H. How many times has a plastic bag or foreign material got stuck to your grille and blocked air flow to your radiator?? did your car over heat??? No! There is plenty of air flow coming in to remain cool. My honest guess is that chip did something to your ecu and the increased air flow from the stillens is throwing it for a loop. Reset your computer completely to try and change the chip effects. I'm not getting my butt-hurt cause I like Stillen, it's just physics.

Actually, try this. get a piece of cardboard and tape it to your radiator covering where the stillen filters sit, drive around, and see if the temp jumps. If not, you can rule out the airflow being blocked as the problem. and can you post some pics of your engine bay, intakes installed, areas they cut for the install ect..?? That would help.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:44 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G37Sam
naah nothing from ebay.. local performance tuning shop installs a unichip.. it aint like we got technosquare here! we're left with no other choice
what do u mean no technosquare, u can still ship your ECU to technosquare and just pay them for the international shipping back to you?? go with technosquare they know what theyre doing.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:15 PM
w0ady

some of you idiots on here need to learn how to read. i asked if it was an ebay chip and he clearly stated it was a unichip which is ok for the car while i may not personally like them.

as for the intake causing the overheating, im guessing its an install issue OP. best of luck in your troubleshooting. start small and look over everything is my advice.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:29 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sam, can you restore the car back to stock again, reset the ECU, hopefully temp will return to normal. Then install the Stillen with another ECU reset please?

I think that would isolate if the problem is caused by Stillen which a lot of us are doubting right now.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:03 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

hello again guys.. sorry for creating such an e-mess in here not my intention
so anyways.. we went cruising in the car to test it out was fine nothing abnormal (car is now running on stock ECU and stock intakes).. decided to drive a little more spirited and guess what, damn engine overheated! car is going to the dealer first thing in the morning! So its obviously not the intake, maybe something went wrong while installing
I think I'm gonna try installing those intakes on my car now hmmm
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by AZg37
... Actually, try this. get a piece of cardboard and tape it to your radiator covering where the stillen filters sit, drive around, and see if the temp jumps. If not, you can rule out the airflow being blocked as the problem. and can you post some pics of your engine bay, intakes installed, areas they cut for the install ect..?? That would help.
oh you're just exaggerating now bro lol should I try polyurethane foam while I'm at it too??!!
Old 11-17-2008, 05:09 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Originally Posted by DetroitG37Joe
what do u mean no technosquare, u can still ship your ECU to technosquare and just pay them for the international shipping back to you?? go with technosquare they know what theyre doing.
yeah and drive around in a bicycle?

Quick Reply: Help Stillen 3G intake and ECU chip = Engine overheat!! Trying to figure out why?