Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Review Stillen 3G Intake Review + Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 01:21 PM
bunluvsvw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just put mine on last night. Heres my opinion about the Stillen intake. Im coming from a Fujita Intake, I realized the quality of the Stillen intake is not as good as the Fujita. When I put the Fujitas on originally, I liked the way it came with addtl brackets to lock down the tubes to prevent rubbing of any kind. The stillen didnt have that. My driver side tubing came dangerously close to the AC lines. Another thing that I realized about the Stillen intake is the tubings itself is thinner in size compared to the Fujitas. The stillen needed a reducer coupling at the throttle body while the Fujitas was the same diameter as the throttle body. If you ask me personally, I think that the tubing from the throttle body to the intake could have been 1 piece instead of 2, It would have provided a super clean look without the looks of the clamp and the coupling. Of course, the design of the Gen3 intake from Stillen is awesome, pretty smart to suck cold air directly from behind the Grille.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:40 PM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by bunluvsvw
I just put mine on last night. Heres my opinion about the Stillen intake. Im coming from a Fujita Intake, I realized the quality of the Stillen intake is not as good as the Fujita. When I put the Fujitas on originally, I liked the way it came with addtl brackets to lock down the tubes to prevent rubbing of any kind. The stillen didnt have that. My driver side tubing came dangerously close to the AC lines. Another thing that I realized about the Stillen intake is the tubings itself is thinner in size compared to the Fujitas. The stillen needed a reducer coupling at the throttle body while the Fujitas was the same diameter as the throttle body. If you ask me personally, I think that the tubing from the throttle body to the intake could have been 1 piece instead of 2, It would have provided a super clean look without the looks of the clamp and the coupling. Of course, the design of the Gen3 intake from Stillen is awesome, pretty smart to suck cold air directly from behind the Grille.
man i was all excited to see someone elses opinion on this intake (i ordered mine yest) and you never mentioned anything about driving with it .

So how do they compare to the fujitas? Down low power better? how bout up top?
Old 11-30-2008, 01:49 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Up top is simply amazing, 1000x better than JWT. Can't speak about fujitas though...

Down low on the Stillen is not noticeable, but atleast there isn't any loss.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:55 PM
EVO-to-G

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Up top is simply amazing, 1000x better than JWT. Can't speak about fujitas though...

Down low on the Stillen is not noticeable, but atleast there isn't any loss.

yea as long as i don't loose down low then im happy...can't wait to get mine in. My Cobb AP should be in on wed. and the gen 3's might take little longer. Gonna do before and after on gen 3's and then with the AP.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by EVO-to-G
man i was all excited to see someone elses opinion on this intake (i ordered mine yest) and you never mentioned anything about driving with it .

So how do they compare to the fujitas? Down low power better? how bout up top?
hehe, the intake screams loud as hell, I have my silencers on for the greddy exhaust, let me tell you this, the intakes are louder than my dual greddy exhaust. Car pulls very hard at mid to high rpms. took me a good 4 hours to put it in. but I took my good old time cause its my own car, no need to rush or impress anyone by telling them I got it done in 1 hour, plus it didnt help either that I had to take off my stillen lip and my gt spec strut bar and I was working on the ground at 40degrees.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:11 PM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FedEx dropped mine off today......I need to get home and do the install.......
Old 12-03-2008, 02:33 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Originally Posted by weave
FedEx dropped mine off today......I need to get home and do the install.......
Set aside a good 4-5 hours to do the install....
Old 12-03-2008, 02:35 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Set aside a good 4-5 hours to do the install....
What is the deal with the cutting or the dremel'in that the directions called for. I skimmed through them real quick, but haven't had time to actually do the install yet.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Gotta cut the entry hole wider and bigger so the pipes can fit through it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
weave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^

This is plastic we are cutting?

And did you ever figure out what your vibration was?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:17 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Yeah the plastic cutting, my problem was the hole wasn't big enough so the pipe was banging agaisnt it. So make sure the hole is BIG
Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM
fade286

Hole size??

Would it be possible to use a hole saw on a right angle drill? If so how big a hole do you think needs to be drilled? I always see " cut it bigger" approx how large?DOMO
Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

We used everything in sight to cut the hole because it was pretty dense, so literally use whatever cuts through it lol.

As for size, cut it a little bigger at first, so the pipe can run through it. Then, make sure it is not touching anything around it, if it looks like it will, then cut the hole bigger, so it kind of looks like it is "floating in the air" and not resting on anything. Problem with mine was, it was resting on the bottom, so it kept banging on the it

So basically big enough for the pipe to go through and for it not to touch anything, so it looks like it is floating through the hole. Hope this helps! I am going to take some pics of my set up before and after to show you what it should look like. I will do it next week though.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:00 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just read through this entire thread. I notice some pros and cons like every other intake comes with.

Pros.
1. The intake is an animal in high end power.
2. Placement is pretty cool more air flow
3. Sound, best sounding out ( based on reviews)

Cons
1. Once agian no steady gain. i.e. from the dig no gain, possible lost of power? I kno most would say no bc the intake is screaming in your ears but any proff on that?
2. Installation, much cutting and 4-5 hours.
3. Right around $5-600 to order w out installation.

Comparing it to JWT, JWT still might have the edge IMO, untill the price drops abit and something is resolved with installation.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:11 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

I have to disagree with you on this...

Out of all the current intakes, it currently produces the most power, and sound is 100x better than JWT (I owned the JWT for a good month)

Installation, yeah it is a b!tch to install, but well worth it.

Plus Stillen had a sale on their intakes 15% off, so that would have been like 430 shipped for these intakes, 100 more than the JWTs, which turn grey in a week, and sound weaker and produce far less power.

I believe bboy dynoed in at 5 hp if I remember correctly.

Quick Reply: Review Stillen 3G Intake Review + Dyno