Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Help Berk HFC noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Lucky_One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i know exactly what u are talking about. i have the same exact sound u are describing. is it this:
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i32.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/DCkidd1/new/MVI_0438.flv">

i think the noise is coming when decelerating
Old 11-15-2008, 12:23 PM
willizm

I installed mine about 500 miles ago and haven't had any problems. In a couple more heatup/cooldown cycles I'm going to get back under there and make sure things are still tight. It's probably something loose. Get under there and tighten up everything.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by chris9012
any update on this?
It seems to have gotten a little better

Originally Posted by Lucky_One
i know exactly what u are talking about. i have the same exact sound u are describing. is it this:
<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i32.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/DCkidd1/new/MVI_0438.flv" width="448" height="361">

i think the noise is coming when decelerating
NO, you have the infamous OEM Exhaust rattle, that's a completely different noise.

Originally Posted by willizm
I installed mine about 500 miles ago and haven't had any problems. In a couple more heatup/cooldown cycles I'm going to get back under there and make sure things are still tight. It's probably something loose. Get under there and tighten up everything.
I had a mechanic listen to it and he's convinced that it's something touching the HFC's externally, like a heat shield or something, that's making it rattle. I'll have to find time to get underneath and look at it.
Old 11-15-2008, 02:03 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok hewres what i come up with...the pipes shake like a leaf in the wind when decelerating... y do they shake?? i have no clue, jsut watch the flex sections...its weird man...never seen anything like it b4...
Old 11-15-2008, 02:47 PM
willizm

Originally Posted by Black Betty

I had a mechanic listen to it and he's convinced that it's something touching the HFC's externally, like a heat shield or something, that's making it rattle. I'll have to find time to get underneath and look at it.
It probably is. When I put my HFC"s and Exhaust on I almost missed a couple bolts that were loose. Caught them on my last triple check go around.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Well I believe I have found my culprit making the HFC noise. When underneath the car tonight installing exhaust, I noticed that my Tanabe front under brace seemed to be touching something on one side. It was about 1 or 2 mm from touching on the other side. Could that be the problem? I took it off and noticed that not only was it touching part of the undercarriage now, it was in a bind pretty bad. It was difficult to remove the 2 nuts holding it on and when I got it off, I could see that there was definitely some rubbing going on. Took it for a test drive without the brace and whaddya know, no noise! The difference is that there is a metal bracket that mounts to the 2 flanges on the Berk HFCs. On the stock cats, I suppose it was in a different position by a few millimeters and didn't rub. After getting the Berks on, it rubs now.

Problem solved.

EDIT: Drive to work this morning with no noise at all. That was indeed the problem. Does anybody else have Berk HFC and a Tanabe under brace?

Last edited by Black Betty; 12-11-2008 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
So did that brace came with the other exhaust or is it another aftermarket part?

Last edited by Ivoidwarranties; 12-20-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:48 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

thats the tanabe front brace.......try shimming it down dude...try to use it still!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 04:02 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by NJlakeshoreG
thats the tanabe front brace.......try shimming it down dude...try to use it still!!!
It's actually rubbing by about 1 or 2 mm on the driver side and it looks like about 4 or 5 mm on the other side. I think I'm going to try the GT Spec brace and see if it gives more clearance. This one was pretty damn close to rubbing with the OEM cats and with the HFCs it does.

On a different note, when I saw the location of this brace I thought it was useless because it didn't really stiffen anything. Wrong! I can tell the difference without it on the car.

OFF TOPIC: Just put your TB upgrade in the package to drop off on Monday.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:51 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
i had something similar with my magnaflow rubbing with the underbrace.. I added some washers to move down the underbrace 1 or 2 cm's
problem solved.. not sure if it rides different though
Old 12-21-2008, 09:51 AM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
It's actually rubbing by about 1 or 2 mm on the driver side and it looks like about 4 or 5 mm on the other side. I think I'm going to try the GT Spec brace and see if it gives more clearance. This one was pretty damn close to rubbing with the OEM cats and with the HFCs it does.

On a different note, when I saw the location of this brace I thought it was useless because it didn't really stiffen anything. Wrong! I can tell the difference without it on the car.

OFF TOPIC: Just put your TB upgrade in the package to drop off on Monday.
no kidding???get the gt spec brace!!! perfect....sell that one...i really love my gt spec braces..i notices a difference in stiffness every brace i added..cant wait to get the new upgrade so i can install the first set...lol

Originally Posted by G37Sam
i had something similar with my magnaflow rubbing with the underbrace.. I added some washers to move down the underbrace 1 or 2 cm's
problem solved.. not sure if it rides different though

yesssss...very true!!!!i needed to shim my down also...
Old 02-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Dipstix6996

Hey BB does it sound like this? And it's not the muffler rattle all the other retards are talking about.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfTIym7n9Hg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfTIym7n9Hg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 02-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Dipstix6996
Hey BB does it sound like this? And it's not the muffler rattle all the other retards are talking about.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cfTIym7n9Hg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
See post #21. It wasn't the muffler rattle, I had that and got the muffler replaced long ago. It didn't sound like the hissing in your clip. It was the Tanabe under brace I had rubbing against the mounting ears on the Berk HFC. Took off the brace and sold it - problem solved.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:05 AM
tristan1334

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dipstix6996

<EMBED src=http://www.youtube.com/v/cfTIym7n9Hg&hl=en&fs=1 width=425 height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>
That's the same sound I have with my HFC. Anybody fixed this yet?
Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Dipstix6996

Originally Posted by tristan1334
That's the same sound I have with my HFC. Anybody fixed this yet?
Check out my other thread

https://www.myg37.com/forums/intake-...magnaflow.html

Quick Reply: Help Berk HFC noise