Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37
Look, I'm not even caring really about your claims. All I'm asking is, can you please explain to me how you doubled Stillens numbers for HP, when the headers were installed on an already modded car? We all know, if your car is modded, you see less then the stated HP gains. I personally saw, if I remember correctly, like 6 or 7 HP from the headers with HFC, and exhaust. If you were in my shoes, and saw first hand what stillen headers made on a dyno when dynoed the same day, and done correctly, and then someone else said they more then trippled your numbers, you would say NO Way! like I am. Like I said before, I only posted 1 dyno from a different machine/shop in my old thread and it was before most of my mods. Every other dyno was done at the same shop, same dyno machine. I remember you so well because numerous people posted the science behind how the pulley works, reducing mass, and how that can create more HP transfering to your wheels, and then I dynoed my car correctly with the pulley and got like 2 HP and you basically called everyone dumb, and a liar. needless to say, I'm glad you are doing this for the community, I'm glad you are happy with your numbers, I just wish people would take a step back and ask the question "how?" sometimes. Like you stated, surgeline is owned by cobb, that right there could be a big part in why you are seeing giant numbers, but maybe not. There are many other factors that can explain your giant gain with headers. What was the temp. when you posted the 302hp, and not the temp outside, I'm talking coolant and oil temp of the car? To get accurate numbers, data like this should be tracked. As your car heats up, HP drops. Thats why I asked before how many runs surgeline did to get the 324HP. I can easily see your car being ran hot and getting 302HP, then installing headers and going back there and running it cool and pulling 324HP with a tune. The facts are, we will never know what caused what, there are too many variables that factor in and were unaccounted for. Like I said before though, congrats on the numbers. But be warned, if you post somewhere on here that you installed intakes and with a tune you got like 30hp, you'll be hearing from me

P.S. Why go part by part with the tune? What was your baseline with stock ecu settings and all your parts installed, compared to all your parts and cobb's tune? That would be more realistic in what people with similar mods to yours can expect with a Cobb tune.
I actually posted my baseline dyno for stock .. I add a part tune and hope for the best .. You cant get the benefit out of a aftermarket part if the car is not properly tuned . So when I add a part I let everyone know and find out my results with me .. Hopefully it makes power if it doesnt I move on to something else .In the pulley thread all I said is you are not going to make any hp and you started to quote UR Website like you so often do and call people names( including myself) who did not agree with you .. Talk about a grain of salt . I also cannot believe you are saying the pulley made like 2 hp .. 2 hp is in is in the degree of error for a dyno , so I would say the pulley made no hp . Sorry dyno guru!!! Please quote more websites for us folks.. Also these cars like to be hot .. In regards of the intakes I didnt make 30 hp but would love to hear from you ......

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 12-03-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:43 AM
trebien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Something else to keep in mind as far as "stacking" gains from aftermarket parts... sometime the net effect will actually be BIGGER. It all boils down to where the bottlenecks are within a system.

Let's say an exhaust is added, and an intake, and high flow cats, etc. The entire intake/exhaust system is fairly "optimized" and you got 20 HP. Then, the bottleneck is at the headers... everything else is opened up except the headers. So then, you add the headers. Instead of the factory claim of 12 HP for headers, you get 20 HP. Really, that 20 HP comes from the headers opening up the passages, and ALSO letting the intake and exhaust and HFCs breathe just a little bit better as well... so maybe 12 HP came from the headers, and 2 more from the intake, and 5 from the cats, and 3 more from the exhaust... etc.

A products given "effect" depends so much on various factors, it's really all moot. Which is why it is important to test and test and test for each situation, which I am glad people are doing. Thank you for that, and thank you for sharing, all of you.