Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:32 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
price for my headers with install was $940
Old 11-29-2008, 04:37 AM
G35Robby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37
wait a second, are you saying your headers got you like 20hp? if you ended at 302 hp, that pdf shows 324 max to the wheels. Thats impossible I'd be weary of the dynoing thats going on, on different days and such. I have all the same mods, and the same custom tuning, and I hate to break it to you, headers arn't pulling those kind of numbers on our cars, flat out!
ya those numbers are sort of unbelievable. I have IMPUL headers and got only 6whp on top of what i already had.
Im at 310whp but hopefully when i get FI hfc and cf exhuast, i can push it to 320
but those numbers are unbelievable. headers dont give that much power
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 AM
mr37

arent those short tube headers?? and arent long tube headers better and give u better results
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Well I am finally done with the headers . I cannot believe how much hp these made with a tune.. I can hardly make any tq . I just dont understand . Here is the final numbers . Remember my last dyno resulted in 302 hp and 250 tq. Ill get more into it tomorrow .. Going to bed !! Tired !!!
Hey NeverBoneStock, you need to do a before and after dyno the same day to get an accurate reading for the increase you get on a part. Dyno readings change each day do to different conditions so you really cannot compare old graphs. When you do the intake test, make sure you do at least 3 dynos for the before numbers and then do after dynos. All my reviews have had dynos done before and after the same day to show what the difference was. I would suggest you do the same if at all possible.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:20 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
wait a second, are you saying your headers got you like 20hp? if you ended at 302 hp, that pdf shows 324 max to the wheels. Thats impossible I'd be weary of the dynoing thats going on, on different days and such. I have all the same mods, and the same custom tuning, and I hate to break it to you, headers arn't pulling those kind of numbers on our cars, flat out!
AAAHHHH! AZ to the G...I have missed you. Your negativity and your know-it-all is always welcomed in this forum. First of all, that is what I am saying. 324 hp max to the wheels. If I do recall, since you are the dyno master, didn't you have a little thread in regards to the UR Pulley making hp? What you did is that you took your car to two different dyno shops. Weren't you supposed to follow up by taking your car to the original dyno shop to show that the 'magical' pulley made power? You've had blunder after blunder with installs and problems. Even got fed-up and said you were going to buy the all mighty GTR...I guess they still don't have your color or features available! So, your latest blunder is that you went to a COBB authorized tuner and had another horrible dyno result. After that dyno, you went to another shop for another dyno. Didn't post any numbers, but all you did was talk about how superior that dyno is compared to all other dynos. And even went on to quote what someone had to say about their dyno on another website. The point is AZ to the G, you blow your horn, jump the gun, and your credibility is out to lunch. In case you didn't know, Surgeline is owned by COBB and I have custom tunes made. I don't download maps to my access port. What custom tuning do you have ????? If you don't believe me, please call COBB or Tim at Surgeline. AZ to the G, you do not have the same mods as me. I think maybe one, HFC. AZ to the G, some people just do it and others do it right, "me". This is directed to AZ to the G and no other members. Also, if you think this is unbelievable, wait till you see what I gained on my Injen hp thread.

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 12-03-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Originally Posted by bboysteele
Hey NeverBoneStock, you need to do a before and after dyno the same day to get an accurate reading for the increase you get on a part. Dyno readings change each day do to different conditions so you really cannot compare old graphs. When you do the intake test, make sure you do at least 3 dynos for the before numbers and then do after dynos. All my reviews have had dynos done before and after the same day to show what the difference was. I would suggest you do the same if at all possible.
I know I have to do a before and after dyno. The reason why I posted this is to show how low Surgeline/COBB dyno reads. If you look at my stock run compared to other members stock run, my numbers are really low. In regards to your 3 dynos before and after, we did way more than that. I will continue this on the Injen hp thread. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2008, 11:23 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G35Robby
ya those numbers are sort of unbelievable. I have IMPUL headers and got only 6whp on top of what i already had.
Im at 310whp but hopefully when i get FI hfc and cf exhuast, i can push it to 320
but those numbers are unbelievable. headers dont give that much power
So if you think about it your not that far off from me .. A couple more mods and a tune and you should be good to go ..

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 12-03-2008 at 01:56 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
frcefed

Can't wait to see the numbers neverbonesock!!
Keep up the good work.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:08 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

AAAHHHH! AZ to the G...I have missed you. Your negativity and your know-it-all is always welcomed in this forum. First of all, that is what I am saying. 324 hp max to the wheels. If I do recall, since you are the dyno master, didn't you have a little thread in regards to the UR Pulley making hp? What you did is that you took your car to two different dyno shops. Weren't you supposed to follow up by taking your car to the original dyno shop to show that the 'magical' pulley made power? You've had blunder after blunder with installs and problems. Even got fed-up and said you were going to buy the all mighty GTR...I guess they still don't have your color or features available! So, your latest blunder is that you went to a COBB authorized tuner and had another horrible dyno result. After that dyno, you went to another shop for another dyno. Didn't post any numbers, but all you did was talk about how superior that dyno is compared to all other dynos. And even went on to quote what someone had to say about their dyno on another website. The point is AZ to the G, you blow your horn, jump the gun, and your credibility is out to lunch. In case you didn't know, Surgeline is owned by COBB and I have custom tunes made. I don't download maps to my access port. What custom tuning do you have ????? If you don't believe me, please call COBB or Tim at Surgeline. AZ to the G, you do not have the same mods as me. I think maybe one, HFC. AZ to the G, some people just do it and others do it right, "me". This is directed to AZ to the G and no other members. Also, if you think this is unbelievable, wait till you see what I gained on my Injen hp thread.

Dude, are you serious? I'm not trying to be negative, but you sat here and too my face tried to tell me stillen headers gave you 22hp. That is impossible. flat out. I have made no blunders in my previous posts. The UR pulley did make HP, like 2, and it was done on the same dyno, same shop. Get your facts straight. As for the GTR, I was, and still am trying to track down a GTR thats suits me perfectly, but have been at a stand still until Nissan handles these warranty issues. I was in no way gonna dump the G37, because of all my blunders as you put it. I always wanted a GTR, and my wife can take the G You also need to really watch the way you talk to people, I find it quite offensive! I did take my car to a Cobb authorized tuner, but the dyno results weren't terrible, I got 12hp, but the tune was just incomplete. There was no blunder, the shop simply didn't do what they were supposed to, and cobb stepped in and finished my tune for free. I posted about the new dyno, but if you took the time to educate yourself, the 2 dynos are COMPLETELY different so I couldn't really get a before and after with the cobb accessport like I had hoped to. I'm also updating that after post with my after dyno, it's available now. I was trying to help the community, and cobb, by showing the results with custom tuning. I'm very glad you think that going to surgeline, which is owned by cobb as you say, is completely different then having a cobb tuner sit there and adjust my cars settings while receiving live data. I guess your custom tunes go far beyond leveling your AF ratio, taking fuel out in certain ranges to smooth things out, take care of the peaks and dips, smooth the timing etc.. Cause I'll tell you, I sat there for 3 1/2 hours and watched Jon at Cobb tune my car very efficiently from all the way in Utah, but I guess surgeline has secrets or something to how they do their tuning. Arn't they using the same software, they work for the same company for crying out loud, they are using the same tools and methods!!
I don't really care about any of this, my only point was that you are spending your time, money, and effort to get these parts, get the car tuned, and get dynos, not to mention posting all the results. I just wanted to warn you that traditional dynos can spit out whatever hp # they want, it all depends on the person at the keyboard. You can't adjust a MAHA dyno, it's just pure un adjusted HP, no user input. You can by 4 mustang dyno's for the price of 1 MAHA, that should tell you something. I'm not saying anything bad about Surgeline or the tuners, all I'm saying is Stillen's best #'s on their headers, to my knowledge, was like 12hp. Stillen also quoted like 15 -19 TQ. Any rational person would ask themselves "How did I get 22hp with a tune, but no where near the TQ??" This isn't even taking into consideration the claimed gains of the headers are from a stock vehicle. Everyone knows you can't stack mods and their purported HP gains. So what you posted was, that with a tune, you got almost DOUBLE the hp gains from Stillen headers as they did on a STOCK vehicle? You didn't find this to be odd at all? Just outta curiousity how many dyno pulls did surgeline do to get these gains?
If the numbers make you feel good, and thats what you are looking for, then great, I'm happy for you, and I'm glad you feel good about your investment. But reality is a b!tch! Good Luck, and I look forward to seeing your results,

Last edited by AZg37; 12-03-2008 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:16 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Originally Posted by mr37
arent those short tube headers?? and arent long tube headers better and give u better results
all that is offered for the G37 currently is the Stillen shorty headers
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Dude, are you serious? I'm not trying to be negative, but you sat here and too my face tried to tell me stillen headers gave you 22hp. That is impossible. flat out. I have made no blunders in my previous posts. The UR pulley did make HP, like 2, and it was done on the same dyno, same shop. Get your facts straight. As for the GTR, I was, and still am trying to track down a GTR thats suits me perfectly, but have been at a stand still until Nissan handles these warranty issues. I was in no way gonna dump the G37, because of all my blunders as you put it. I always wanted a GTR, and my wife can take the G You also need to really watch the way you talk to people, I find it quite offensive! I did take my car to a Cobb authorized tuner, but the dyno results weren't terrible, I got 12hp, but the tune was just incomplete. There was no blunder, the shop simply didn't do what they were supposed to, and cobb stepped in and finished my tune for free. I posted about the new dyno, but if you took the time to educate yourself, the 2 dynos are COMPLETELY different so I couldn't really get a before and after with the cobb accessport like I had hoped to. I'm also updating that after post with my after dyno, it's available now. I was trying to help the community, and cobb, by showing the results with custom tuning. I'm very glad you think that going to surgeline, which is owned by cobb as you say, is completely different then having a cobb tuner sit there and adjust my cars settings while receiving live data. I guess your custom tunes go far beyond leveling your AF ratio, taking fuel out in certain ranges to smooth things out, take care of the peaks and dips, smooth the timing etc.. Cause I'll tell you, I sat there for 3 1/2 hours and watched Jon at Cobb tune my car very efficiently from all the way in Utah, but I guess surgeline has secrets or something to how they do their tuning. Arn't they using the same software, they work for the same company for crying out loud, they are using the same tools and methods!!
I don't really care about any of this, my only point was that you are spending your time, money, and effort to get these parts, get the car tuned, and get dynos, not to mention posting all the results. I just wanted to warn you that traditional dynos can spit out whatever hp # they want, it all depends on the person at the keyboard. You can't adjust a MAHA dyno, it's just pure un adjusted HP, no user input. You can by 4 mustang dyno's for the price of 1 MAHA, that should tell you something. I'm not saying anything bad about Surgeline or the tuners, all I'm saying is Stillen's best #'s on their headers, to my knowledge, was like 12hp. Stillen also quoted like 15 -19 TQ. Any rational person would ask themselves "How did I get 22hp with a tune, but no where near the TQ??" This isn't even taking into consideration the claimed gains of the headers are from a stock vehicle. Everyone knows you can't stack mods and their purported HP gains. So what you posted was, that with a tune, you got almost DOUBLE the hp gains from Stillen headers as they did on a STOCK vehicle? You didn't find this to be odd at all? Just outta curiousity how many dyno pulls did surgeline do to get these gains?
If the numbers make you feel good, and thats what you are looking for, then great, I'm happy for you, and I'm glad you feel good about your investment. But reality is a b!tch! Good Luck, and I look forward to seeing your results,
A Z .... I do you really think im stacking hp #s . If that was the case why are my tq numbers on the headers so low but with the Injen I actually made more tq . Im stacking numbers there too... You seem to forgot you started calling me a douche bag when I told you the pulley wouldnt gain any hp . You also forgot that when you posted the results you had dyno runs from one shop and dyno runs from another .. You took a beating for that one and even deleted them .. Reality is a bitch ???????? Yes it is ..... I wasnt expecting anything like this and of course you are all over it .. I should of had you tune my car ..
Old 12-03-2008, 09:04 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Also A Z if you think that these Stillen headers didnt make that much power with my mods and a tune ..... Call Cobb ........
Old 12-03-2008, 12:42 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

A Z .... I do you really think im stacking hp #s . If that was the case why are my tq numbers on the headers so low but with the Injen I actually made more tq . Im stacking numbers there too... You seem to forgot you started calling me a douche bag when I told you the pulley wouldnt gain any hp . You also forgot that when you posted the results you had dyno runs from one shop and dyno runs from another .. You took a beating for that one and even deleted them .. Reality is a bitch ???????? Yes it is ..... I wasnt expecting anything like this and of course you are all over it .. I should of had you tune my car ..
Look, I'm not even caring really about your claims. All I'm asking is, can you please explain to me how you doubled Stillens numbers for HP, when the headers were installed on an already modded car? We all know, if your car is modded, you see less then the stated HP gains. I personally saw, if I remember correctly, like 6 or 7 HP from the headers with HFC, and exhaust. If you were in my shoes, and saw first hand what stillen headers made on a dyno when dynoed the same day, and done correctly, and then someone else said they more then trippled your numbers, you would say NO Way! like I am. Like I said before, I only posted 1 dyno from a different machine/shop in my old thread and it was before most of my mods. Every other dyno was done at the same shop, same dyno machine. I remember you so well because numerous people posted the science behind how the pulley works, reducing mass, and how that can create more HP transfering to your wheels, and then I dynoed my car correctly with the pulley and got like 2 HP and you basically called everyone dumb, and a liar. needless to say, I'm glad you are doing this for the community, I'm glad you are happy with your numbers, I just wish people would take a step back and ask the question "how?" sometimes. Like you stated, surgeline is owned by cobb, that right there could be a big part in why you are seeing giant numbers, but maybe not. There are many other factors that can explain your giant gain with headers. What was the temp. when you posted the 302hp, and not the temp outside, I'm talking coolant and oil temp of the car? To get accurate numbers, data like this should be tracked. As your car heats up, HP drops. Thats why I asked before how many runs surgeline did to get the 324HP. I can easily see your car being ran hot and getting 302HP, then installing headers and going back there and running it cool and pulling 324HP with a tune. The facts are, we will never know what caused what, there are too many variables that factor in and were unaccounted for. Like I said before though, congrats on the numbers. But be warned, if you post somewhere on here that you installed intakes and with a tune you got like 30hp, you'll be hearing from me

P.S. Why go part by part with the tune? What was your baseline with stock ecu settings and all your parts installed, compared to all your parts and cobb's tune? That would be more realistic in what people with similar mods to yours can expect with a Cobb tune.

Last edited by AZg37; 12-03-2008 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:51 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Also A Z if you think that these Stillen headers didnt make that much power with my mods and a tune ..... Call Cobb ........
Dude, I don't care. All I'm trying to accomplish on here is for people to take this info with a grain of salt. It would be tragic for people to run out and spend the money you are spending and only see like 10HP when you are posting such giant gains. I'm just asking legitimate questions, I'm not trying to get under your skin or be a hater. All I'm interested in is your TOTAL HP gain with a cobb tune over your stock ecu settings. That number will tell me if this is legit or not, atleast IMO. What HP are you putting down with your mods and stock ecu vs. your mods and cobb tune?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:04 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Man you guys are spending to much time going back and forth. Are the headers worth it for the price? A lot of other members like me are probably waiting for answers/results to buy other mods besides I/HFC/E. Since only a few of you guys have the headers, what are your thoughts on someone wanting to purchase headers on top of the other standard mods?

Quick Reply: Stillen Header Review