Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Header Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I just checked my fedex # and they will be here 11/11 . I will have pics up of the headers inside shots of the collectors and my impression of the quality and off to jet-hot they go. Im also going to post the price of everything . Headers , shipping , jet- hot coating and install to see if this journey was worth it . Hopefully it is but we shall see. Lots of pics on 11/11 and more to come ..
Old 11-10-2008, 01:08 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
I just checked my fedex # and they will be here 11/11 . I will have pics up of the headers inside shots of the collectors and my impression of the quality and off to jet-hot they go. Im also going to post the price of everything . Headers , shipping , jet- hot coating and install to see if this journey was worth it . Hopefully it is but we shall see. Lots of pics on 11/11 and more to come ..
cant wait man. Are the header like the hfc too? will i have problem with Air flow or the oc2 just wondering if i ever get it
Old 11-10-2008, 01:26 AM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jnguyennikka
cant wait man. Are the header like the hfc too? will i have problem with Air flow or the oc2 just wondering if i ever get it
They are designed to flow better than stock . As far as problems .... I dont know yet but I will keep everyone informed of any problems .
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Update

Well, well, well... where do I start. Let me just put this out there, in no way am I slamming Stillen though some might view it that way. This is just my opinion about their headers. Just wanted to make that clear...
Let's start of with 1. packaging: overall packaging was excellent, no problems. Box wasn't damaged and the headers are in great shape as far as no shipping damage.
2. appearance: I am soooooo disappointed with the way these look. First of all, these look like they were made in a high school machine shop. The collectors are horribly welded and goobers all over them. The flange that bolts to the engine has 2 spot welds on the outside per section. They are ugly as hell! Also, due to having spot welds there are gaps between the header tubing and the flange. However, the inside of the header tubing is completely sealed connecting to the flange. There are multiple scratches and scrapes on the headers as if the quality control is none existent. Let me make this clear, the welds on the headers are absolutely horrible. I cannot believe a company like Stillen would put their name on this and allow it to go out the door. I am really disappointed in this. I had headers on my '06 350Z that were made by Strup that costed $100 less and blow these away in appearance and weld quality. Seriously Stillen, you could have smoothed out the collectors on these... 3. quality: These headers are the 409 stainless steel, none polished version. The tubing is thick, not thin; the flanges are thick, not thin which is good. I really can't go any further due to not having these installed in the car yet. Also, one other thing I noticed was that they did not include new gaskets. Come on Stillen, you should include new gaskets for these. But, the real surprise is that I bolted them together side by side with the bolts they supplied and guess what?! The right side is longer than the left side or another way to put it, the left side is shorter than the right side. I really just don't understand. Between the visual appearance, horrible welds and the headers are not the same length, I really can't say anything positive about this product. But hey, just because they are fugly as hell and look like an eighth grader welded them together doesn't mean they don't produce horse power. We are not going to find that out yet due to me having to contact Stillen in regards to the header lengths. So these will not be getting jet hot coated for now until I clear things up. Therefore, for $544.95 plus $9.99 for insurance I get what you guys & gals shall see... myg37.com will not allow me to upload any more pics so I will have the pics uploaded soon. So far, this is disappointing!

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 11-12-2008 at 01:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
damn sorry to hear that... hope it's one of those "don't judge a book by its covers" type of deal
Old 11-11-2008, 10:59 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
photo bucket is your friend

we need pics
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

I downloaded to photobucket and how do I upload to g37.com
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
EVO-to-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow...doesn't sound too good. Hopefully they will put down some nice power.

I would try contacting stillen and get some pics together...maybe they can do something about it. I doubt they all look like that.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I downloaded to photobucket and how do I upload to g37.com

Just copy and paste the direct link into the thread for each pic. We will have to click on it from there to see it but it will work
Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM
EVO-to-G

Actually I just bought injens revised cold air intake ... Im going to get flamed !!!!!DOMO
in the other thread i asked if these where the new injens and you mentioned that they are the same old ones that everyone else got...are they the new ones or the same one everyone else has on
Old 11-11-2008, 11:20 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Pics

Pics

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 01-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

More Pics

Pics

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 01-23-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:09 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Stillen is just not getting the whole G37 thing it seems, their project at SEMA shows. Their exhaust and intake are nice, but the intake took 3 tries to get right. shrugs shoulders
Old 11-12-2008, 06:23 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Ok , spoke to stillen and they said one is suppose to be shorter . So I am good to go and off to jet hot they go . Im having the headers coated in the extreme sterling with a gloss black finish. I wanted the red finish but is a $100.00 more. No thanx! The extreme coating is suppose to withstand temps up to 1700 degree. I think thats enough . They are suppose to be at jet hot doorstep on mon 11/17 and then it takes up to 7-10 business days to get them back . Its going to be a couple of weeks before install and dyno . So what is the damage so far money wise ???
Headers $549.99
Insurance $9.99
Jet Hot Extreme Sterling Coating $300.00
Ups to Jet Hot including insurance $25.00
Return shipping charge Ups by Jet Hot $33.00 (go figure )

Total $917.98 = Ouch ! Starting to get expensive and I still have to pay for installation ...
Wow !!! Keep you guys updated ......

Last edited by NeverBoneStock; 11-13-2008 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:31 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
isn't installation gonna run you like 500 dollars?

Quick Reply: Stillen Header Review