Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 08:18 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, who's the stock tester now? Stillballin is not doing it anymore.....
Old 10-28-2008, 08:20 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hawaiian72099
He said it ran better than the JWT, and I don't think the JWTs would add 11hp on top of other mods. I wish I did though. Guess i should have waited, but who knew Stillen would come out with 3 intakes

Didn't he dyno the JWT at around 10 HP?? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought he ran a few pulls with a 10 HP gain with the JWT. At any rate I'm in the same boat, my JWT is coming tomorrow, wondering if I should have waited, but I I'm sure the difference in the gains is not going to really be that noticable to worry about, not to mention the ease of installation and removal of the JWT if needed.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:36 PM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
Yea, who's the stock tester now? Stillballin is not doing it anymore.....
I might do it at that event on the 8th of November.... If not, I am passing this up...
Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM
ucla bruin

For those of you that are second guessing yourselves with the JWT.....
The way I look at is:
....................Stillen....................... ......JWT
Cost..............$500 for now....................$280 for those that did the GB
Install............Harder/longer....................Easier/shorter
HP.................~10hp on modded, so.........~10hp on stock
....................let's say maybe ~16hp
....................on stock
TQ ...............~5TQ on modded..............~5TQ stock
Hydrolock.......If you're paranoid..............Not a chance

(sorry for the periods, the posts ignore spacings..)

I don't know about you but I think JWT did pretty good for the price, ease of installation/filter swap, power, and no chance of hydrolock for those that are concerned with it.

So let's say stock dyno shows a few more hp more than JWT, is that worth the extra $220 price difference to you? Maybe, maybe not.

But when you go back and look at Bboy's excellent review and his dynos for JWT and Stillen, I'd rather take the JWT curve with more increase in power through the band instead of mainly up high.

Last edited by ucla bruin; 10-28-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:32 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is it that people will spend $40K+ on a G37 and then try to find the cheapest way to upgrade said vehicle? If you can afford the car, why cheap out on parts? Do your effen research and then do the effen deed!

If you want to get some power and looks on the cheap:

Take the filters out of your stock intakes and replace with screen material, result = high flow intake. The screen will keep out the larger insects, too!

Have the shop bend up some straight pipes. Run a large bolt though them for a little back pressure. Nice for those who like it loud, too.

Cut the springs to go lower. Works, doesn't it?

Add a decal or two and paint flames on the side. Added HP for sure.

Easy, eh?

Not dissing any vendor or any parts. Just MHO.

BTW, just installed the Stillen gen 3 intake, sways, camber and toe kit and Eibach springs.

My review on the upgrades: Money well spent. Recommended.

What's a few bucks here and there anyway?

Meal for tomorrow: cat food and crackers.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:00 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

^^You crack me Kahn. LOL
Old 10-29-2008, 12:09 AM
stevenmeister

Maybe we're trying to get cheap modds becuz we're BROKE.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
For those of you that are second guessing yourselves with the JWT.....
The way I look at is:
....................Stillen....................... ......JWT
Cost..............$500 for now....................$280 for those that did the GB
Install............Harder/longer....................Easier/shorter
HP.................~10hp on modded, so.........~10hp on stock
....................let's say maybe ~16hp
....................on stock
TQ ...............~5TQ on modded..............~5TQ stock
Hydrolock.......If you're paranoid..............Not a chance

(sorry for the periods, the posts ignore spacings..)

I don't know about you but I think JWT did pretty good for the price, ease of installation/filter swap, power, and no chance of hydrolock for those that are concerned with it.

So let's say stock dyno shows a few more hp more than JWT, is that worth the extra $220 price difference to you? Maybe, maybe not.

But when you go back and look at Bboy's excellent review and his dynos for JWT and Stillen, I'd rather take the JWT curve with more increase in power through the band instead of mainly up high.

one thing you are missing is with JWT, the air temperature that was coming into the engine was rising with every dyno run, and hp started to drop a bit. It did gain 7hp with me, but is susceptable to heak soak. With the gen 3, intake temperatures dropped every dyno run, and were always cool, the coolest of any intake tested. hp never dropped after like 8 runs. It kept rising up to about the 6th or 7th and maintained. JWT isn't a CAI, cause the ait ain't cold If you want a CAI, the gen 3 Stillen is the only one out there right now. Injen is a NAI, or no air intake,
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM
KahnQuistador

Originally Posted by stevenmeister
Maybe we're trying to get cheap modds becuz we're BROKE.
I only have to eat cat food for a month to pay for the mods.

It's rather tasty but eating it does **** off the cat.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 AM
frcefed

Speaking of eating animal food here's a pretty good joke.

A Stupid Question

I've got 2 dogs. I bought a large bag of Meaty Bites at Wal-Mart and was standing in line at the check-out.
A woman behind me asked if I had a dog.
On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Meaty Bites Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 25 kgs before I woke in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.
I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.
I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.
Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the food. I told her no, it was because I'd been sitting in the middle of the road licking my member and a car hit me.
I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.
Stupid bi**h...why else would I buy dog food
Old 10-29-2008, 10:32 AM
frcefed

Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
I only have to eat cat food for a month to pay for the mods.

It's rather tasty but eating it does **** off the cat.
Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:46 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
Why is it that people will spend $40K+ on a G37 and then try to find the cheapest way to upgrade said vehicle? If you can afford the car, why cheap out on parts? Do your effen research and then do the effen deed!
Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should spend it. I'm sure lots of people here that could afford TT but they do smaller upgrades because they don't think its worth it. To some people it's worth every penny for the premium in quality, but for some if they can get almost the same quality for half the price, and they aren't THAT obsessed with as much quality as physically possible, it's more worthwhile to get the less expensive one. To them the premium just isn't worth it, even though they could get it. For some people with certain things, they don't feel a need to spend double the price on something even though it is a little nicer, just because they're willing to live with slightly less benefit and a lot more cash.

Granted, I'll almost definitely be getting the Stillen, but to each his own.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:47 AM
soldier9599
Registered Member

Originally Posted by frcefed

A Stupid Question

I've got 2 dogs. I bought a large bag of Meaty Bites at Wal-Mart and was standing in line at the check-out.
On impulse, I told her that no, I was starting The Meaty Bites Diet again, although I probably shouldn't because I'd ended up in the hospital last time, but that I'd lost 25 kgs before I woke in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and IV's in both arms.
I told her that it was essentially a perfect diet and that the way that it works is to load your pants pockets with Meaty Bites and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry & that the food is nutritionally complete so I was going to try it again.
I have to mention here that practically everyone in the line was by now enthralled with my story, particularly a guy who was behind her.
Horrified, she asked if I'd ended up in the hospital in that condition because I had been poisoned by the food. I told her no, it was because I'd been sitting in the middle of the road licking my member and a car hit me.
I thought one guy was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard as he staggered out the door.
HAHAHAHA!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:57 AM
nogoodname
Banned

Originally Posted by frcefed

A Stupid Question

lol, buying dog food for no reason at all, maybe she was trying to be friendly??
Old 10-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by nogoodname007
lol, buying dog food for no reason at all, maybe she was trying to be friendly??
The real question is, what did she look like? That was your in, so unless she was fugly and you are married, you missed the boat.

Quick Reply: STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!