Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:50 PM
stevenmeister

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i lost track with all this post. Lets get this thing rolling. I'm very interesting in seeing the results.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:56 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by christian655321
hey stillen reps,

help me out here... I bought my intake stillen intake longtube from a dealer, specifically Scottsdale AZ infiniti , when I called to get the upgrade kennyd is telling me he has to check with management because the upgrade is offered only to the original owner. I provided the original reciept and my credit card statement , proving I am the oringinal purchaser of the product. shouldnt that be enough to get the upgrade?
Hit me up on Monday and we'll get you straightened out. There are going to be a few unusual situations such as yours which were expected but not totally discussed. We will get you taken care of on Monday though!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 PM
VRG37S

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Bump for Kyle's kick a** customer service.. Bro the intakes are insanely sweet.. Loving every minute with them on my car... Thanks!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jks toy!
Bump for Kyle's kick a** customer service.. Bro the intakes are insanely sweet.. Loving every minute with them on my car... Thanks!!!!!!!
you already have them?! take picture to show how it looks man
Old 10-11-2008, 11:17 PM
xeroed

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ya know, after a few of the more recent posts in this thread regarding the design of this setup, something dawned on me..... This is the 3rd intake Stillen has made for this application. First the short tube, then the long tube now the ultra long tube. I'm not by any means saying that they just release products without testing them or calling out BS but I find myself wondering why we have number 3 already when the amount of time this engine has been available is relatively short. How were generations 1 & 2 tested and given the go-ahead if they so quicly became inferior and/or did not produce claimed numbers when people got them tested themselves? I appreciate that Stillen is hard at work making parts for the VQ and know that improvements get made to products but I think that this is a valid concern. I personally think that this 3rd design makes more sense than the prior two but what the story with gen 1 & 2?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:31 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Kyle, I sent you an email regarding the Nissan Consult system. Take a look at it when you get a chance.

Originally Posted by xeroed
Ya know, after a few of the more recent posts in this thread regarding the design of this setup, something dawned on me..... This is the 3rd intake Stillen has made for this application. First the short tube, then the long tube now the ultra long tube. I'm not by any means saying that they just release products without testing them or calling out BS but I find myself wondering why we have number 3 already when the amount of time this engine has been available is relatively short. How were generations 1 & 2 tested and given the go-ahead if they so quicly became inferior and/or did not produce claimed numbers when people got them tested themselves? I appreciate that Stillen is hard at work making parts for the VQ and know that improvements get made to products but I think that this is a valid concern. I personally think that this 3rd design makes more sense than the prior two but what the story with gen 1 & 2?
In regards to this question, I will give you my answer. Each system is different. This question is almost like asking why a company releases a Stage 1 turbo kit then a Stage 2 and then 3 kit. Of course the 3 is better but not everyone wants to have a 3 in their car. Sometimes people want a 1 or a 2. This is the same concept of these three intakes. One thing to keep in mind is that this stage 3 intake is a Cold Air Intake where I don't believe the other two are. The first one is a short ram intake I believe. The great thing about these products with Stillen is that you do have chooses. This stage 3 is not going to be for everyone so they might want to look at the stage 1 or 2. With this you have chooses.

[QUOTE=kyle@stillen;2433741]

By the way, one thing that might be interesting to note is if the testers could mention if they have aftermarket wheels or factory...If you have aftermarket wheels, have you ever weighed them? We have found that heavier wheels rob power (I know this is a no brainer) but in some cases, it can take away over 30HP...

QUOTE]

Kyle, I have the factory Sport rims.

Last edited by bboysteele; 10-12-2008 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xeroed
This is a good question and one that we expected. To be honest, we never planned on making a Generation 2 intake. The main reason we came out with a Gen. 2 was because our customers were asking for polished intake tubes. We were getting phone calls for something more aesthetically pleasing. So that was the only reason we even made Stage 2. We found a little bit more power with the longer tubes but primarily the reasoning was because of customer demand.

Now, stage 3 came about because our engineers never stop trying to perfect our products. One thing that seperates us from alot of other manufacturers is that we specialize in Nissan/Infiniti vehicle's. Most companies in the aftermarket industry specialize in a type of product such as intakes, or exhausts, or programmers...Things like that. We're a little bit different in that we specialize in the entire NISSAN/INFINITI vehicle. We want to perfect every aspect of these cars rather than just improving one area. What this means is that we can spend more time on development and testing than other companies can. We don't have 100+ intakes and exhausts to build and test each year. We only have a few vehicle's that Nissan or Infiniti put out that we need to develop products for. Which means we can spend longer on the development of those parts.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Stillen, please help me make a decision. I love Stillen products, as i have the sways, cat-back system, headers and UR/Stillen pulley. I'm going to have my ecu reflashed at technosquare. I've owned fujita intakes, and JWT intakes. Fujitas had major issues with heat, especially for me in AZ. JWT handled heat better with sheilds, but both systems were noticably lacking in torque on the low end. I'm curently running a stock intake with k&N filters. Having tested and driven all 3 set-ups, the stock intake feels the best on the low end, and not much different on the top end. JWT did gain HP on my dyno testing. So here are my concerns:

A: how will the long tubes of the gen. 3 handle heat, the tibes are metal? I'm living in a climate that is routinely 110+. Both Fujitas, and JWT got too hot to touch. Will this result in me seeing less gains with the gen. 3?

B: How will reflashing the ecu factor into all of this? I noticed my car ran smoother, and better with the stock intakes. I understand it may have been making less horsepower, but with the increased air flow of the fujitas and JWT it seemd to make my ecu freak out a bit. When the stock intakes were replaced, my car was more consistant throughout the entire powerband, and could only be described as "smoother." I know most tuners suggest stock intake when you reflash the ecu, they say they are well designed and efficient. Since this intake is designed for the stock ecu, and you have mentioned that the design behind it took the finiky ecu in mind, will this wreak havoc or hinder performance if the stock ecu is altered??

Thanks for the input, and I can't wait to see my numbers with the gen 3. and reflash, if thats the best route to go
Old 10-12-2008, 09:38 AM
christian655321

Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
Hit me up on Monday and we'll get you straightened out. There are going to be a few unusual situations such as yours which were expected but not totally discussed. We will get you taken care of on Monday though!

sweet, thanks. ill call you on monday.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 PM
JLai

Originally Posted by AZg37
B: How will reflashing the ecu factor into all of this? I noticed my car ran smoother, and better with the stock intakes. I understand it may have been making less horsepower, but with the increased air flow of the fujitas and JWT it seemd to make my ecu freak out a bit. When the stock intakes were replaced, my car was more consistant throughout the entire powerband, and could only be described as "smoother." I know most tuners suggest stock intake when you reflash the ecu, they say they are well designed and efficient. Since this intake is designed for the stock ecu, and you have mentioned that the design behind it took the finiky ecu in mind, will this wreak havoc or hinder performance if the stock ecu is altered??
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask this question to Technosquare? I mean...unless Stillen knows exactly what parameters are being changed, I don't see how they would know how the intakes would react to the reflash.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:02 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JLai
Wouldn't it be more appropriate to ask this question to Technosquare? I mean...unless Stillen knows exactly what parameters are being changed, I don't see how they would know how the intakes would react to the reflash.
well from everyone I've talked to, technosquare has advised to go with stock intakes with k&n filters. I'm only asking because Stillen mentioned the finicky ecu when explaining the filter placement and tube design of the intake.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:36 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Stillen, please help me make a decision. I love Stillen products, as i have the sways, cat-back system, headers and UR/Stillen pulley. I'm going to have my ecu reflashed at technosquare. I've owned fujita intakes, and JWT intakes. Fujitas had major issues with heat, especially for me in AZ. JWT handled heat better with sheilds, but both systems were noticably lacking in torque on the low end. I'm curently running a stock intake with k&N filters. Having tested and driven all 3 set-ups, the stock intake feels the best on the low end, and not much different on the top end. JWT did gain HP on my dyno testing. So here are my concerns:

A: how will the long tubes of the gen. 3 handle heat, the tibes are metal? I'm living in a climate that is routinely 110+. Both Fujitas, and JWT got too hot to touch. Will this result in me seeing less gains with the gen. 3?

Thanks for the input, and I can't wait to see my numbers with the gen 3. and reflash, if thats the best route to go
I thought you are selling your car and buying a GTR ???
Old 10-12-2008, 07:01 PM
heff

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
To put it in simple terms,

Montreal > Toronto > Edmonton
Saskatoon > T.O > E town >Montreal
Old 10-12-2008, 07:47 PM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

I would love to be able to give you a solid answer on this but the only thing I can say is that we have not yet tested these intakes with any tuning other than factory. I don't know how they will react with anything other than a factory spec. ECU.

The next statement I am about to make is not meant to offend anyone or to take away from technosquare or any other tuner. If you are considering going the forced induction route I would recommend leaving your factory ECU alone. This is very important as many manufacturers of forced induction kits use piggyback ECU's which are designed to work with factory parameters. Some forced induction kits are designed to be used with stand-alones or other forms of tuning but until you are certain which type of forced induction you will be putting on your car I would recommend leaving the factory tuning and ECU alone.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 PM
Kream

How difficult is the install of these intake?

Quick Reply: STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!