Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 12:40 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds quite fair and you bring up some good points on how to do fair testing... and perhaps answers to some puzzling dyno results we've seen on other products. Definatey good info to have. These results are going to be better then reality TV, can't wait.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds good. Kyle e-mail or call me tomorrow, I need to speak to you about picking these up.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:52 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by neverbonestock
I can still do a dyno and tune on these to see if the make anymore hp than what I ended up with in my Cobb thread ... Anyone there ..... Stillen ???????
Thank you very much for the offer. However, we think that testing the intakes on a non-stock ECU would not be relevant for the majority of the owner's on the forum. At this time we are only looking for factory tuned vehicles.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:53 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
Sounds good. Kyle e-mail or call me tomorrow, I need to speak to you about picking these up.
Sounds good man! I was planning on shooting you an email tomorrow but I figured I'd go ahead and do it tonight haha.

Now...It's 10 O'clock on Friday night...Where did I put my beer???
Old 10-11-2008, 12:54 AM
sTiLLBaLLiN37
Former Prez of LA G'Z

Received 24 Likes on 3 Posts
I thought Stillen closed at 5, why are you guys working so late? haha..
Shoot me an e-mail =)
Old 10-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by sTiLLBaLLiN37
I thought Stillen closed at 5, why are you guys working so late? haha..
Shoot me an e-mail =)
ha! Like I didn't answer your 2 PM's already..
Old 10-11-2008, 01:10 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle@stillen
Excellent questions and they deserve answers...

There are explanations for some of the design characteristics such as the different sized tubing...This basically alters the velocity of the airflow as it travels through the intake pipes. Speeding them up or slowing them down. Unfortunately, I personally am not an engineer so I can't explain it to you as well as our real engineers could.

Just saw a question about the bends right after the filters. There are three reasons for this.

To start the answer I will say that this car likes long tubes and we needed to fit those long tubes behind the bumper. I can already see what the second question will be so this is to explain the logic as to why we mounted them where we did... There are three reasons why we mounted the filters behind the grill. #1, Mounting the filters in the far corners of the front bumper would require a new windshield wiper reservoir bottle. Thus reducing the capacity of the factory reservoir bottle. #2 and most importantly, it is a well known fact that the air closer to the ground is hotter than the air higher up from the ground. Take for example a race-track. The air temperature might be 90 degrees, but the track surface will be 100+. So, by mounting the air inlets higher we are drawing air from a cooler location. #3) The area in front of the radiator is relatively cool while driving. The area behind the radiator is the hot part. By mounting the filters directly behind the front grill you basically get a ram air effect. Next question, how can it be a ram-air if you block it with the urethane splash shields? Answer- These are SPLASH shields...Take them off during the SUMMER and let those puppies breath!!! If you do this you will want to check them regularly to make sure they aren't damaged or anything but with the protection of the grill it'd be hard to damage them. Obviously you'll want to leave them on if it looks like rain is approaching or winter is getting close. I doubt that you'd see any damage from driving with them uncovered in the rain anyways, but I don't want to be the one responsible for someone trying it...
Kyle, just one question. Did you do the testing with the splash guards in place or removed? I am just wondering if they will decrease the performance of the intake OR you got the 18+ number with the splash guards in place and if they are removed there is a possibility for more power. I know a member on her removed the front guards on his front bumper to allow more air into the area where is Injen intake was to increase performance.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:18 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

I will be completely honest and say that I was in the office when the testing was done so I don't know the answer to that exactly. I want to say that the splash guards were on for the testing but I will need to confirm that on Monday.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:41 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Either way on or off, the car's sitting still on a dyno, can't see it mattering.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Was the dyno cooling fan on during the test? I would assume so. That would simulate "ram effect".
Old 10-11-2008, 12:08 PM
J.Oh

kyle PM sent.

im completely bone stock never had performance mods done
can write a non biased review
dyno at Vinny Ten Racing, infiniti/nissan turbo installers/tuners
well known on G35nyc.com and MyG37.com
Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jeff, i dont think there looking for any1 else. Turn back to page 16 and rear kyles post.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:41 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lets get this going.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM
J.Oh

yea thx vin i just read all 22pages at work i posted while i was on page 8 or something

hell if you want an east coaster to test it out with our weather conditions, im here
Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 PM
christian655321

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey stillen reps,

help me out here... I bought my intake stillen intake longtube from a dealer, specifically Scottsdale AZ infiniti , when I called to get the upgrade kennyd is telling me he has to check with management because the upgrade is offered only to the original owner. I provided the original reciept and my credit card statement , proving I am the oringinal purchaser of the product. shouldnt that be enough to get the upgrade?

Quick Reply: STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!