Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
I can still do a dyno and tune on these to see if the make anymore hp than what I ended up with in my Cobb thread ... Anyone there ..... Stillen ???????
Old 10-10-2008, 08:48 PM
jerseyjoe23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry If I just got the car this week and became a member today of this forum. To everyone else except big dog I'm sorry I didn't realize this topic was already posted.

Last edited by jerseyjoe23; 10-10-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:10 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jerseyjoe23
sorry If I just got the car this week and became a member today of this forum. To everyone else except big dog I'm sorry I didn't realize this topic was already posted.
No worries. Most of us are sensitive about people not using the search feature. Big Dog should have seen that you where new and given you a little break but he might be having a bad day. Now if this was your second or third post then all gloves are off. lol
Old 10-10-2008, 10:30 PM
Skyline-LEXY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wheres this video Lastchance is talking about?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:31 PM
ucla bruin

It seems like Stillen found this design through 50 different designs (trial and error?) and what got people confused is that some don't understand the logic behind positioning the intake with a hard bend and in front of the radiator. I'm not an intake expert so I don't understand either but could Stillen (or someone else) offer an explanation to why the design ended up the way it did other than saying that this is the setup that yielded the most gain out of 50 tries? I think that could turn the skeptics around.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ucla bruin
It seems like Stillen found this design through 50 different designs (trial and error?) and what got people confused is that some don't understand the logic behind positioning the intake with a hard bend and in front of the radiator. I'm not an intake expert so I don't understand either but could Stillen (or someone else) offer an explanation to why the design ended up the way it did other than saying that this is the setup that yielded the most gain out of 50 tries? I think that could turn the skeptics around.
So you'd like the specifics on our R&D practices, theory, and explanation on how to build an intake that makes strong power with the VQ37 motor?

Maybe then you could make your own?
Old 10-10-2008, 10:46 PM
ucla bruin

Dang Josh, I thought you guys closed at 5, you're still on?! Haha.

Anyway, no, I was just wondering if someone can say something about why it would be advantageous to make a design like Stillen has (like how the bend could help airflow...etc), because all I've been seeing is negative speculations.

And yes sir I would definitely like to make one of my own
Old 10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Josh@STILLEN
So you'd like the specifics on our R&D practices, theory, and explanation on how to build an intake that makes strong power with the VQ37 motor?

Maybe then you could make your own?
lol...na, Josh! I think the question is that most of use have been told that bends and large ones at that are bad for exhaust and intakes. The straighter the pipe the better the product is the belief. I think people are just wanting some expert incite into this since your intake does not follow this logic. Is the logic faulty and why? That is the question.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:48 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Dang Josh, I thought you guys closed at 5, you're still on?! Haha.

Anyway, no, I was just wondering if someone can say something about why it would be advantageous to make a design like Stillen has (like how the bend could help airflow...etc), because all I've been seeing is negative speculations.

And yes sir I would definitely like to make one of my own
lol.. I understand. All I can say is that exhaustive testing was done, and hundreds of dynos to develop the design and ultimately power gains with this intake setup.

The R&D specifics would be proprietary.. for obvious reasons.. I'm sure you can understand why..

Old 10-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bboysteele
lol...na, Josh! I think the question is that most of use have been told that bends and large ones at that are bad for exhaust and intakes. The straighter the pipe the better the product is the belief. I think people are just wanting some expert incite into this since your intake does not follow this logic. Is the logic faulty and why? That is the question.
There are a thousand factors involved, especially when you start considering the computer controls on these vehicles. You have MAF sensors reading things, air velocities can have effects, everything needs to be considered.

A bend in a pipe seems like adverse to the philosophy of the shortest distance between two points, but not in today's world.. ECU's account for thousands of things when determining fuel...

Old 10-10-2008, 10:58 PM
ucla bruin

Cool, thanks Josh.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Team STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Cool, thanks Josh.
and no.. this definitely isn't a 9 to 5 for any of us at STILLEN.. but we do get pulled in a thousand directions at certain times.. especially now with SEMA quickly approaching.

We appreciate the questions, and are happy to discuss any of the products we develop, and especially take insight on things you'd like to see, or concerns you have.

Thank you all for the interest, we're as excited as you are about doing everything we can for the G37.. and I can guarantee you (but won't go into details) about the continuing R&D and planned development for the VQ37..

Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Props to a company backing the G and making themselves accessible on the forum!!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:23 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys!

First off, I am really sorry for my absence over the past couple of days...With SEMA coming up I have been running all over the place delivering vehicles to painters, picking up wheels, paints, you wouldn't believe it! haha..

Anyways, the testers have been decided. We will be going with two people for this test and as offered by one of the testers (bboy...) both men will pay $250.00 for their systems and both will have them tested independently. So, we have one moderator (bboy) with a lot of mods and an independent forum member (stillballin) with 0 mods...This should be a great platform...

There will be some criteria which the testers will need to follow and I will explain that in detail.

First- The vehicle must be baseline tested a minimum of 3 times to establish a baseline average of horsepower output.

Second- Each test (Before and After) must be performed while a computer monitoring system is connected. This is so that the engine coolant temperatures can be monitored. Each run must be performed between 183-186 degrees fahrenheit. Heat can GREATLY alter the readings/outcome and we want them all to be fair and on the same, level, playing field.

Third- DO NOT remove the vehicle from the dyno or alter the tie downs during the testing process. The STILLEN intake must be installed while the car is still on the dyno. We have found that by loading up the car extra tight it can actually take away power...Same thing goes for leaving the straps a little too loose. By leaving the tie downs in the same location for all of the runs this ensures that the testing is AGAIN...Fair.

Fourth- The STILLEN generation 3 intake must be tested a minimum of 8 times. We have found that the ECU's in the G37 take time to learn the modifications performed to the vehicle and they do need to catch up. We have found that while performing the 8 consecutive dyno pulls that we can literally watch the power levels climb...Only by a couple of horsepower per pull but it definitely happens. Usually after the 8th pull the car is at its max.

All of these rules/stipulations are demanded by STILLEN so that we make sure the dyno's are performed correctly and in a fair manner. We don't want anyone saying that we mess with the readings or anything like that. When we test our products we follow these same steps. It is the only way to ensure the tests are fair, accurate, and unbiased.

By the way, one thing that might be interesting to note is if the testers could mention if they have aftermarket wheels or factory...If you have aftermarket wheels, have you ever weighed them? We have found that heavier wheels rob power (I know this is a no brainer) but in some cases, it can take away over 30HP...

One thing I would like to mention is that we have never tested this intake configuration on a car with as many mods as bboy. We have only tested it on the red MOMO car which only has our cat-back exhaust or a car with no modifications at all. So, we aren't quite sure what to expect with bboy's setup...

We would like to ask you guys to touch on a few topics in your individual write-ups.

1) Power gains- Obviously...haha

2) Appearance- What do you think of this intake visually? What do you think of the build quality?

3) Fit and finish- What do you think of the intake when it is finally installed? Does it look good? Do you not like it? If so, what don't you like?

4) Ease of installation- We know that this is not going to be an easy intake to install as we do recommend removing the fascia. However, it would still be good to hear about it.

5) Sound- Does it give you a warm fuzzy feeling when you accelerate and hear it howl?

Sorry for the long post...Sorry again for the delay in getting back to this thread.

Last edited by kyle@stillen; 10-11-2008 at 12:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 AM
kyle@stillen
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Excellent questions and they deserve answers...

There are explanations for some of the design characteristics such as the different sized tubing...This basically alters the velocity of the airflow as it travels through the intake pipes. Speeding them up or slowing them down. Unfortunately, I personally am not an engineer so I can't explain it to you as well as our real engineers could.

Just saw a question about the bends right after the filters. There are three reasons for this.

To start the answer I will say that this car likes long tubes and we needed to fit those long tubes behind the bumper. I can already see what the second question will be so this is to explain the logic as to why we mounted them where we did... There are three reasons why we mounted the filters behind the grill. #1, Mounting the filters in the far corners of the front bumper would require a new windshield wiper reservoir bottle. Thus reducing the capacity of the factory reservoir bottle. #2 and most importantly, it is a well known fact that the air closer to the ground is hotter than the air higher up from the ground. Take for example a race-track. The air temperature might be 90 degrees, but the track surface will be 100+. So, by mounting the air inlets higher we are drawing air from a cooler location. #3) The area in front of the radiator is relatively cool while driving. The area behind the radiator is the hot part. By mounting the filters directly behind the front grill you basically get a ram air effect. Next question, how can it be a ram-air if you block it with the urethane splash shields? Answer- These are SPLASH shields...Take them off during the SUMMER and let those puppies breath!!! If you do this you will want to check them regularly to make sure they aren't damaged or anything but with the protection of the grill it'd be hard to damage them. Obviously you'll want to leave them on if it looks like rain is approaching or winter is getting close. I doubt that you'd see any damage from driving with them uncovered in the rain anyways, but I don't want to be the one responsible for someone trying it...

Last edited by kyle@stillen; 10-11-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Quick Reply: STILLEN Generation 3 intake!!!