Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Jwt Review

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
wrathletik1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's a thick piece of metal, how would I go about bending it? IMO it should have been bent enough when they made it, I shouldn't have to do it.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:17 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrathletik1
I wish I could see your setup in person Max. But if you could see mine, the mounting bracket on the intake is not twisted enough for me to screw it in securely. I was contemplating running it without the mounting bracket, but I figured loosely screwing it in is better than not having it screwed in at all.
Do you want me to snap a couple pics for ya?
Old 08-26-2008, 03:58 PM
0to60

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrathletik1....don't try to bend the twisted bracket from JWT, slightly bend down the tab of the car's bracket that the twisted piece attaches to. It's easy to take off and thats what got my alignment correct and clearance from the power steering fluid.
Old 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM
SilverBullet

Bump for pics!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:51 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 AM
MaDd

install: installed mine earlier today.. easy install, passenger side intake rides up higher than the driver side.. i'll look into the fix when i have more time, but it really doesn't bother me

power: i reset the ecu (using the disconnect battery method since the pedal thing is a pain, good to know the HD keeps all stored info and doesnt erase it).. drove like a mad man for a few hours tonight. my butt actually told me it felt a tiny more kick (i'd assume thats torque) mid and high rpm when i first press the gas. high end power in higher gears didnt feel any different. i expected no real gain so this was not disappointing news. note - im used to driving my car alone, today i had 1 or 2 passengers at all times.. so in retrospect, the comparison for this category is not really fair and i wont be able to judge the power til tomorrow morning

sound: this was most important to me when i bought the intake. i was left slightly disappointed mainly because i expected a lot more of a deeper and louder growl. my buddy with a 6spd g37 with injen was with me all day and hands down his sounds better from both inside and outside the car. it was easy to compare the sound when we were revving or riding side by side.

we had quite a bit of fun on the roads but i cant go into the details of the outcome since its not allowed on this forum

overall rating B+
Old 08-30-2008, 10:45 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MaDd
install: installed mine earlier today.. easy install, passenger side intake rides up higher than the driver side.. i'll look into the fix when i have more time, but it really doesn't bother me

power: i reset the ecu (using the disconnect battery method since the pedal thing is a pain, good to know the HD keeps all stored info and doesnt erase it).. drove like a mad man for a few hours tonight. my butt actually told me it felt a tiny more kick (i'd assume thats torque) mid and high rpm when i first press the gas. high end power in higher gears didnt feel any different. i expected no real gain so this was not disappointing news. note - im used to driving my car alone, today i had 1 or 2 passengers at all times.. so in retrospect, the comparison for this category is not really fair and i wont be able to judge the power til tomorrow morning

sound: this was most important to me when i bought the intake. i was left slightly disappointed mainly because i expected a lot more of a deeper and louder growl. my buddy with a 6spd g37 with injen was with me all day and hands down his sounds better from both inside and outside the car. it was easy to compare the sound when we were revving or riding side by side.

we had quite a bit of fun on the roads but i cant go into the details of the outcome since its not allowed on this forum

overall rating B+
Thanks for the quick review. Would it be possible to post up some Injen/JWT comparison vids with your buddy sometime?
Old 08-30-2008, 12:33 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you think the intakes dont fit right because JWT is rushing them out for the group buy, or is it just a poor design.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 PM
erasat

Design is the same for new intakes than for the first batch, too crowd in that area for them to do something else, I understand your frustration with the passenger's side as I have installed 2 and that side is not as easy as the driver's side, but guys, I don't know how else to explain you, it's not easy, but mine and my buddy's, after some 10 minutes playing with the intake moving it side to side and up and down, are in the same level in both sides. Again, they get leveled, you just need to play a little more in that side, keep those screws loose until you find the perfect spot, then tight them.

Look at how my buddy's intake looked when I first installed it:

Look at mine when I first installed it, looks at the front of the filter so you can see clearly:

Look at how it looks now that I trimmed the Air Inlet as per instructions and adjusted it like I mentioned above.

Last edited by erasat; 08-30-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:32 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks really good. I need to trim my inlet.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:38 PM
MaDd

Originally Posted by TomG37
Do you think the intakes dont fit right because JWT is rushing them out for the group buy, or is it just a poor design.
the intakes themselves were quality built for sure. good material and design. the only sign i saw of them being rushed was that there were a bunch of metal shavings hanging off where the air sensor goes in, and one or two small shavings inside the actual filter. had i not looked before the install, this could have seriously damaged my engine.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:42 PM
erasat

the intakes themselves were quality built for sure. good material and design. the only sign i saw of them being rushed was that there were a bunch of metal shavings hanging off where the air sensor goes in, and one or two small shavings inside the actual filter. had i not looked before the install, this could have seriously damaged my engine.
MaDd, that's something you should contact JWT and let them know, one thing is to try to be fast but they shouldn't sacrifice Quality, I'm sure Jim Wolf would like to know about it, he is a standup guy proud of his products and quality is number 1 priority for him.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:33 PM
MaDd

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Thanks for the quick review. Would it be possible to post up some Injen/JWT comparison vids with your buddy sometime?
i made a few videos but they're not that good..

erasat, my intake looks like the first picture you posted. seems like the one on the passenger side is rubbing up against the heat shield on one side and the bottle on the other. the only way for it to move is to go straight down and although i trimmed half of the inlet that was protruding, that just wasn't enough. this is a picture i took of how the install looks right now. im gonna play with the setup a little more when i have time and will probably fix it. but like i said before, this doesnt really bother me and i cant see it being a problem so the intake is perfectly functional. thanks for all the support erasat.

Last edited by MaDd; 08-30-2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 PM
erasat

MaDd, take a close look at the MAF sensor position on your passenger's side, in mine, for it to be better leveled, turn it clockwise, you will see that doing that will make mores space between it and the PS bottle, just loose all screws and the OEM tube's brace, and twist it, push it to the back while doing it so it fits better and avoid contact with the inlet and the Heat shield.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:51 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

+1 on that .. I had two huge metal splinters hanging down when I put in the sensor.. If I didnt look these would of probably fell off and could of done something bad ! Mine were a inch long