Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

CEL for afretmarket cat`s

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
djkymar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry CEL for afretmarket cat`s

Hey folks,
Was driving today home from work and my CEl came on i checked the codes and its P0420 and P0430 looked up online and found out its my cat`s. I have my BERK`s cat`s for 2 month now with FI exaust and everything was fine till today. I had same problem when i just installed them and i had to reset codes 3 times then it was fine for 2 month and now again. Is that normal or something is wrong?
Old 08-08-2008, 05:58 PM
jungwoo0622

I am having same problem as you with FI HFC.
It was happened two times after i changed back on may.
It's looks like after hard run it happened to mine.
how about yours?

btw how do you get that codes ?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 AM
dezicartel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im in the same boat as you guys.....i got FI hfcs and the SES light came on 2 weeks ago....code reads that its the cats....

also i hear this ringing sound every so often..when I pass 3400 rpm...its a very faint rapid ringing sound...like a coin shaking in a steel glass really fast....

i reset mine, but it only lasted 1 day before it came back on...so imma put my factory cats back on tomorrow so I can see whats going on in there....will let u guys know

Fast Intentions,

any ideas on whats going on?
Old 08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
02 sensors were broken during the install, common problem. (bolts on our cats or anywhere for that matter have no antisieze and often break while power tools drill the shyt of out them- all the vibration from power tools- broken sensors)Couple of guys have had this problem on here.
Old 08-09-2008, 12:11 AM
dezicartel

Ive had my HFCs installed for 4.5 months...i dont think it would take that long for the O2 sensors to finally act up....

I did get it checked out by the dealers, and they said the sensors were fine...so not sure...
Old 08-09-2008, 02:24 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is common especially with additional mods on top of the HFCs. Probably due to the AF become leaner than stock. Instead of 11 you get around 13.
Old 08-09-2008, 03:05 AM
bluenet123

i have FI HFC with my previous mod stillen long tube intake/cat back exhaust for about a month and never had SES light on.
even with passing 6K rpm street racing. Hmmm.. I wonder ... if i add
JWT popcharge will it trigger SES light to come on???

Last edited by bluenet123; 08-09-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Hmm... 8 bottles of corona...
Old 08-09-2008, 03:07 AM
dezicartel

Originally Posted by bluenet123
i have FI HFC with my previous mod stillen long tube intake/cat back exhaust for about a month and never had SES light on.
even with passing 6K rpm street racing. Hmmm.. I wonder ... if i add
JWT popcharge will it trigger SES light to come on???
i dunno, but I had it for 4.5 months-ish before the light turned on, and the only other mod i have is the FI Intimidator exhaust
Old 08-09-2008, 03:18 AM
bluenet123

hmm.. do you race alot?
I had stillen intake/cat back for about 3~4 month now and
I never had any issue from day 1 even after FI HFC installed.
I hope I don't have any SES light issue....
Old 08-09-2008, 03:24 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

bluenet123, there is a chance you will get the SES light. I have gotten it once and I have Berk HFCs and JWT intake. I am rather confident it is due to a spike in the AF ratio at times. My AF ratio was at 11 stock but now I am running at mid 13s. Have not seen it again yet but we will see.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:51 AM
dezicartel

Originally Posted by bluenet123
hmm.. do you race alot?
I had stillen intake/cat back for about 3~4 month now and
I never had any issue from day 1 even after FI HFC installed.
I hope I don't have any SES light issue....
No i dont race alot.....ive only hit 6.5k rpm maybe 2ice or 3 times since ive had the setup
Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Kream

I had my FI HFC installed 2 months ago and my came on last week. I reset my ecu to clear the code tho. I also noticed when cruising @ 80mph/3200~rpm the HFC vibrates when i'm on the throttle.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:27 PM
G35Tuning

Originally Posted by dezicartel
i dunno, but I had it for 4.5 months-ish before the light turned on, and the only other mod i have is the FI Intimidator exhaust
Join the club bud...I've had my berks on for about 3 months...No issues at all...After a hard run the other night the SES light came on...I called the dealership to bring it in but I had to cancel my appt...3 days later the SES was gone...Sure enough last night I had a real hard run and up popped the SES light...

I'm going to go with Bboys thoughts and say its the AF readings...I doubt that its the 02 sensors as I just like yourself had them for 3 plus months before anything showed up...

Question for everyone (bboy)...Any concern about the code being up or do I HAVE to clear it? It's going to be bothersome to constantly do so...Instead I'm training myself to just accept the light for now...Thoughts?

PS. I dont have other issues that some are talking about...Just the SES light...
Old 08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Nickkg37s

soo I plan on buying berk HFC's within the next few weeks and the only reason I was going to go with HFC's is because I didnt wanna throw codess but if the HFC's throw em arent I just better off going with test pipes?? cheaper and a little more hp no???
Old 08-09-2008, 06:22 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Originally Posted by G35Tuning
Join the club bud...I've had my berks on for about 3 months...No issues at all...After a hard run the other night the SES light came on...I called the dealership to bring it in but I had to cancel my appt...3 days later the SES was gone...Sure enough last night I had a real hard run and up popped the SES light...

I'm going to go with Bboys thoughts and say its the AF readings...I doubt that its the 02 sensors as I just like yourself had them for 3 plus months before anything showed up...

Question for everyone (bboy)...Any concern about the code being up or do I HAVE to clear it? It's going to be bothersome to constantly do so...Instead I'm training myself to just accept the light for now...Thoughts?

PS. I dont have other issues that some are talking about...Just the SES light...
Go to autozone to get the code read and cleared for free. I actually bought a reader for $60 just because of the JWT and Berk HFC light issue I've had. I've only have my light go off once and that was the sensor in the HFCs that set it off after I had the JWT installed (actually a week later). I have not had a SES light come on since I cleared it. I just got back from a "fun" mountain "cruise" where I accidentally took my car to 8000-8500 RPM while passing a line of cars. No SES light for me today.

Originally Posted by Nickkg37s
soo I plan on buying berk HFC's within the next few weeks and the only reason I was going to go with HFC's is because I didnt wanna throw codess but if the HFC's throw em arent I just better off going with test pipes?? cheaper and a little more hp no???
I disagree with this just because I have never thrown a code until I had the JWT installed which increased the AF number even more. I have had only one code thrown so far. It is not on all the time so it just seems to be hit and miss. I would recommend getting a AF measurement if you are worried. Stock I was at 11 average. After the HFCs I was just under 13 if I remember right. If you are 12 or more stock then HFCs might give you a light when driving hard. With test pipes, keep in mind that they are illegal everywhere and are easy to tell if a car has them, you will have a gas smell when stopped at lights, the SES light is always on, and they are raspy which I hate. Make sure you factor that into your decision.

Last edited by bboysteele; 08-09-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: CEL for afretmarket cat`s