Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intake Temperature Test- Fujita vs Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 08:48 AM
ironchef2008

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
How many people gonna band wagon jump again?
Just in case, I want to make sure that no one thinks I'm pimping the Fujita. In fact, I'll be returning to stock instead because a local friend offered me a good price for it.

It's my opinion that while the aluminum does cool faster and there is a mild horsepower increase, the true culprit is the throttle body. I'm not willing to disconnect the coolant flow and run the risk of a leak. So if the throttle body will always be hot, I don't see the rationale for a $300 plus intake no matter what the brand for my particular driving style.

What are the pros and cons? It had to have been there for some reason.
The coolant is there for folks like me that drive in freezing weather. It keeps ice crystals in the intake air from entering the motor and it also keeps the butterfly from freezing in a stuck position. Nissan loves this and has it on all of its new vehicles if I'm not mistaken.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:22 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ironchef2008
Just in case, I want to make sure that no one thinks I'm pimping the Fujita. In fact, I'll be returning to stock instead because a local friend offered me a good price for it.
Not at all. It just that this forum jumps ship like there's no tomorrow. **Notice how no one has commented on the JWTs in relation to this.**

Originally Posted by ironchef2008
The coolant is there for folks like me that drive in freezing weather. It keeps ice crystals in the intake air from entering the motor and it also keeps the butterfly from freezing in a stuck position. Nissan loves this and has it on all of its new vehicles if I'm not mistaken.
If you end up doing this, can you do a FYI.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:09 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess some of us who live in South Florida can probably make do without the coolant running thru the TB.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:16 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would like to know how to take the coolant lines off.

I think motordyne made a bypass for the G35's, mabe they can comment on this.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:20 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EZDozzit
I guess some of us who live in South Florida can probably make do without the coolant running thru the TB.
South Florida FTMFGDW!!!!!!!!!! Bypass the coolant and give us more powaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!
Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First, congrats to Ampd and ironchef for the great work. Very informative.

But... before anyone starts tampering with the coolant lines, consider this. Computers WILL lie if you're feeding them bad data.

The ECU software will often make decisions based on parameter ratios rather than the parameters themselves. Having said that, this coolant mod sounds like GIGO waiting to happen. "Garbage in, garbage out".

I'm no expert on the Nissan ECU but I CAN tell you that, in my line of work, we use ratios all the time. Say the ECU wants to make a decision based on coolant temp vs. air intake temp and you've altered the coolant lines. That means you've provided "garbage in" to the ECU.

Think about CEL problems the test pipe/HFC community has. Those CELs don't cause much trouble because they are downstream in the air/fuel system. Now you're looking at upstream problems and that's an entirely different story.

There are some things you just don't want to mess with.

My .02.

Kahn - principal software engineer, vehicle automated diagnostic systems
Old 08-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Lou@Amplified
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KahnQuistador
First, congrats to Ampd and ironchef for the great work. Very informative.

But... before anyone starts tampering with the coolant lines, consider this. Computers WILL lie if you're feeding them bad data.

The ECU software will often make decisions based on parameter ratios rather than the parameters themselves. Having said that, this coolant mod sounds like GIGO waiting to happen. "Garbage in, garbage out".

I'm no expert on the Nissan ECU but I CAN tell you that, in my line of work, we use ratios all the time. Say the ECU wants to make a decision based on coolant temp vs. air intake temp and you've altered the coolant lines. That means you've provided "garbage in" to the ECU.

Think about CEL problems the test pipe/HFC community has. Those CELs don't cause much trouble because they are downstream in the air/fuel system. Now you're looking at upstream problems and that's an entirely different story.

There are some things you just don't want to mess with.

My .02.

Kahn - principal software engineer, vehicle automated diagnostic systems

I agree, i wouldn't mess with the coolant lines.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Mrbig19

So stock intakes with kn filters best option......And safe ?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:52 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
doing the coolant mod on S2000's had no issue at all with the ECU
Old 08-05-2008, 03:38 PM
sredish

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
doing the coolant mod on S2000's had no issue at all with the ECU

how much benefit did they see?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sredish
how much benefit did they see?
5hp kept. meaning throughout dyno runs the hp would drop 5 hp over a span of runs because the coolant would heat the TB. when the bypass was done we never saw a drop in hp. so while your not really gaining hp its more of the simple fact your not loosing hp. I would see the gains on this car being larger as we have two TB's
Old 08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
sredish

so who's going to try it first??
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
EZDozzit
No Soliciting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
How difficult is it?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:09 PM
sredish

yea, i'd actually consider it if I knew more about our motors and where stuff is located.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
ironchef2008

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Like the S2000, the ECU in our cars and older G35's will be fine with the mod. It's more of a warranty issue. You're essentially bypassing a major component and it may be considered as a reason for denying coverage. If done right though, the mod could always be removed prior to service and here's the link to the most widely used one on older G's:

http://motordyneengineering.com/cata...products_id=47

http://motordyneengineering.com/cata...products_id=46

You would have to contact Motordyne to inquire about getting double of one of these kits minus the gaskets, which I believe won't work on our G37's.

Last edited by ironchef2008; 07-19-2009 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Intake Temperature Test- Fujita vs Stock