Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Got my Borla System today for Cheap$$$

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 11:15 AM
VIP G

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe its just the pics, but I don't like the of the piping. It looks a little small and I def don't like the muffler having the same design of stock.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You know what they say about opinions. Dont worry about it. Borla is a great exhaust and as for flavor of the month, they have a tremendous reputation for both G35 and 350Z for many years now.
Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
dentalstud
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey
Originally Posted by willizm
I'm not trying to rib you or anything. Just countering some of your statements.

1. Borla said they had better gains developing the H instead of X. X was tried and found to not yield as much horsepower.

Not as much PEAK HP, perhaps, which is all people seem to care about these days...I would wager the X-pipe yields a more consistent gain across the range, however.

2. Some people would pay more for a higher performance exhaust, or premium car, or faster cpu, or premium gasoline, or premium taco. If you are going to get more out of it, then it makes sense that it costs more as well, right?

Sure, that's their prerogative. I'm just saying that the reason it is "premium" and the Magnaflow "cheap" is based on the price alone, not so much the quality or engineering. People have an assumption that higher cost equals higher quality. Both have the same diameter piping to my knowledge, slip joints, etc. The main differences honestly seem to be X vs. H pipe and cost!

3. It's not a flavor of the month. It's been out for about 3 months now and has been dyno proven. It's a little pricey, but that is why I posted this because $1200 for the best g37 exhaust isn't bad compared to other competitors. Magnaflow is a streamlined exhaust that will yield some gains. The borla has done better then the other exhausts out for the car.

Yes, it is dyno proven...but only by one! Remember how the Injen intakes gave 14 hp with gamedog's initial dyno, but are now only in the 2-5 range? Perhaps, and I would even say probably, the Borla WILL give the highest PEAK HP gain. But perhaps it won't, or at least will prove to be great at peak numbers, but not so good at torque on the lower end. My point was simply that you are paying two and a half times as much for MAYBE 5-8 more hp near redline. Essentially bragging rights only.

I don't understand exactly where you are coming from give that you are talking about a $40K and adding cheap components. This is a premium car and you want cheap components? I could understand if it were a budget civic or something, but I think those that bought this car would want to get the best components for it and not base it solely on price. I could crap in a box and sell it as a $20 intake. Would people buy it then if it made a pretty sound?

Just because I can afford a $40k car, doesn't mean I want to drop thousands of dollars on mods that are only slightly better, if any, in my mind. I realize there are people like that and if that's what they want to do with their money, fine. I'm just content knowing that I got my Magnaflow, my JWT intakes, AND my Berk HFC's for just a few bucks more than the Borla is alone.

Last edited by dentalstud; 07-23-2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dentalstud
hey

You should just have a custom exhaust done at you local shop if money is your main issue... You can do that and save 200 bucks...

But end the end with the Magnaflow... Just know that the piping is made of 409 SS and the muffler is 426 SS , and the tips are 304 SS ... So look for some rusting and having to replace it on your dime. With Borla... you have top of the line SS and a 1 million mile warrenty just in case... I do like the sound... But again... you get what you pay for...
Old 07-23-2008, 12:23 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To borla buyers, love the sound and gains more than you can imagine. But those tips are so dull and boring I just couldnt get myself over to buy it. My stillen exhaust contrary to others belief on the forums its pretty nice man, especially with the berk hfc's.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:04 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by tfmbigdog99
To borla buyers, love the sound and gains more than you can imagine. But those tips are so dull and boring I just couldnt get myself over to buy it. My stillen exhaust contrary to others belief on the forums its pretty nice man, especially with the berk hfc's.
whaaaa?

The tips are Dull? no... There are super shiny... I have had the Stillen and the Borla and IMO the Borla does not stick out from the bumper like Stillen. Now... if your talking about Muffler then yes... it is dull. But its one muffler unlike the Shiny Heavy Double muffler Stillen... so I think you are talkin about the muffler... well I hope...

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 07-23-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally not a fan of the tips on either exhaust but the Borla is much better all the way around.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:24 PM
0to60

Can't you have the install shop just replace the Borla tips with stock tips or something else? Am I missing something...?
Old 07-23-2008, 03:00 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

any shop can replace any tip on any exhaust
Old 07-23-2008, 04:20 PM
LSUg37

Corrosion Resistance
In general, the corrosion resistance of Steel 409 Stainless Steel is about the same as Type 410 stainless steel. This is confirmed by standard and special corrosion tests, as well as extensive service experience. Tests also have been conducted to simulate exhaust system conditions as
shown in the Figures that follow. Corrosion resistance of welds and weld areas is nearly comparable to that of the base metal. In this respect, Steel 409 stainless is superior to Type 410 stainless steel because welding does not greatly impair the corrosion resistance of weld areas prone to chromium carbide sensitization. Steel 409 stainless contains a certain number of surface inclusions which are the normal result of titanium stabilization additions to improve the steel. Occasionally, rusting may occur at these inclusion sites and lead to problems with cosmetic appearance. As a result, this steel is not suggested for applications where surface appearance is a factor.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:32 PM
dentalstud
Registered Member

I don't know, LSU, I'd happily pay $700+ more than the Magnaflow to have a better "cosmetic appearance" on the part of my car no one but my mechanic will ever see.

Last edited by dentalstud; 07-23-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
LSUg37

I love the sound of the borla. I just could see my self paying that much for a exhaust system. And cosmeticly the magnaflow system looks polished. I also love the sound of the magnaflow. SO thats why I have choosen the magnaflow. It is really a matter of preference and I guess wallet size. If I can get similar performance or even a exhaust system and hi flow cats for the same price as another exhaust sytem thats the route I would go..... I guess thats me though.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:24 PM
dentalstud
Registered Member

Sure you can...see my post above...you can get Magnaflow, HFC's, and JWT intakes ALL for about the same $$$.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 PM
tfmbigdog99

Location: Where the kids are high and the grades are low. NYC
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
whaaaa?

The tips are Dull? no... There are super shiny... I have had the Stillen and the Borla and IMO the Borla does not stick out from the bumper like Stillen. Now... if your talking about Muffler then yes... it is dull. But its one muffler unlike the Shiny Heavy Double muffler Stillen... so I think you are talkin about the muffler... well I hope...

See max i like the fact that the stillen catback sticks out alittle, and let people know its definatly aftermarket. Any which way, IMO both great exhausts!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:48 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It surprises me that some people in this thread think this is expensive for an exhaust. I guess no one here will be getting the FI, Top Secret, and anyother exhaust that will be out. hmm....interesting!

Quick Reply: Got my Borla System today for Cheap$$$