Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Injen CAI mode for those interested

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:22 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking...what if there we turned the covers into ducts with black mesh that lead to the intake. This would cover up being able to see the intakes as well as the red washer bottle. This would also direct airflow to the filter. I have 0% custom fabricating skills, but I have some friends that are damn good at it. I may look into this.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:57 PM
chucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Injen owners don't despair!!

DOMO I finished every thing at 5 pm this evening. The only other thing I did beside my mod was add a stillen grounding kit. I don't care what anyone thinks this thing gets IT! I got on it out of my driveway and it busted loss and it wasn't any more than a slight bump. I live in a private community by the time I got to the gate the car was nice and warm so I got on it. It is faster out of the hole and after 2800 I got the slip indicator in second, third and forth. From second to third she got a little sideways on me as I was starting into nice increasing corner I stayed on it through forth and saw the slip indicator again. There's no doubt in my miltary mind the Injen is a hot set up. I rung the car out for a good twenty minutes. I've got a route that I run of back country roads. There's corners, great stright aways where you can see for miles, and great twistys. All in all, I'm extermely impressed. So no it didn't slow me down and after all that hard driving I needed a cold Corona. I mean I rung it out. I was so happy I almost $*&%. No Max, it didn't heat up at all I checked as soon as I stopped for my beer. I checked after my second run and still no heat. It was warm but I had no problem laying my hand on both tubes from top to bottom. Yea, you can definitely see the red reservoir but the cool thing is it directs the air right to the air filter. The air comes in and swirls around the filters because of deflecting off the wheel wells this leads to an abundance of air to the filters. On top of everything else it was 103degrees. I didn't feel this much power when I installed the FI exhust and HFC's. I'm sure they all work together but its really faster across the board. So take it for what it's worth. I'm to old to bull crap anyone and if I didn't think I was going to get power I won't have spent another $450 since I already had a Stillen long tube installed. I had an AEM CAI on a Prelude I built and knew I liked the cold air thing. On the prelude it was "real" cold air so I desided before I bought the Injen I was going to supply it some cold air. Well, I'm still excited about the end results and I don't want to ramble on. I'll be glad to answer any questions for anyone.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:56 AM
ddominator1

hold on a minute guys.. I would really be concerned about a hydrolock issue with having those vents open and filters so damn close. I mean how the heck are you supposed to change the mesh to solid steel in the middle of a ***** rainstorm? Ya know, where i live, its sunny one sec then you are in middle of hurricaine. Not too sure if i would want to take a chance as im already nervous abt drawing h2o up in filters.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:17 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Good Job Chucky!

dominator... I think to open these up is just a track setup... and I also think Chucky has rigged a way to do it fairly fast so he could roll with them open and at the first site of a lil rain... he can add his covers in....
Chucky... correct me if I am wrong...
Old 07-27-2008, 04:02 AM
chucky

correct

exactly Max, I have a cover for each and two wing screws, it would take all of two minutes at the max to install them. I also devised plugs for the factory air intakes so you don't get water through them. I belive that is where all your water came from. I keep them in my trunk with the hardware in a old cd case. It doesn't rain that much here and we usually get plenty of warning. When the rainy season comes I'll put on the covers in a more permanet manner. I painted the covers black and they look pretty good. Guy's, I'm not selling these things but with all the negative press the Injens are getting I want people to know that my car rocks with this mod. I didn't run it without the mod because I knew I wanted the extra air so I don't have a baseline to compare with. Some guys are more fearful of a hydrolock then need be. I had a CAI set-up on a prelude and I drove in plenty of really hard Texas storms and it had no covers I drove it for nine years without any problems. The filter sat at about the same hieght, but it wasn,t directly open to the rain or high water, thus the covers. I'm not saying you can drive in water more than two or three inches but I am sure of at least that much as long as you weren't going fast enough to create a wave at the front of the car. There are drain holes in the front lower panels just behind the filters. I don't intend to debate this I'm not a rookie and my car cost as much as the rest of your's so if I wasn't comfortable I wouldn't have done it. This mod isn't for everyone just those who want to get the most out of the Inen in takes.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by chucky
exactly Max, I have a cover for each and two wing screws, it would take all of two minutes at the max to install them. I also devised plugs for the factory air intakes so you don't get water through them. I belive that is where all your water came from. I keep them in my trunk with the hardware in a old cd case. It doesn't rain that much here and we usually get plenty of warning. When the rainy season comes I'll put on the covers in a more permanet manner. I painted the covers black and they look pretty good. Guy's, I'm not selling these things but with all the negative press the Injens are getting I want people to know that my car rocks with this mod. I didn't run it without the mod because I knew I wanted the extra air so I don't have a baseline to compare with. Some guys are more fearful of a hydrolock then need be. I had a CAI set-up on a prelude and I drove in plenty of really hard Texas storms and it had no covers I drove it for nine years without any problems. The filter sat at about the same hieght, but it wasn,t directly open to the rain or high water, thus the covers. I'm not saying you can drive in water more than two or three inches but I am sure of at least that much as long as you weren't going fast enough to create a wave at the front of the car. There are drain holes in the front lower panels just behind the filters. I don't intend to debate this I'm not a rookie and my car cost as much as the rest of your's so if I wasn't comfortable I wouldn't have done it. This mod isn't for everyone just those who want to get the most out of the Inen in takes.
exactly what are you talking about with this?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:05 PM
chucky

Exacxtly what

Max, I'm sorry I assumed you knew what I was talking about, but you know what they say about assumed! So here goes, remember when you installed the Injen and decided to leave the placle where the stock inlet air comes in right in front of the factory air filters open for more air to enter the engine area for cooling? Well, orginally there where two boxes to collect water before it entered the air filters. The instructions for the Injen has you remove those and remove the whole inlet via removal of the front bumper. If you don't remove those cold air enters the engine area, which is a good thing, but there is no longer a way to keep the water out. So, as you cruise in the rain all of the water that would have been drained out enters the engine area and drops a large portion of it into the wheel well areas. This happens because water is heavier than air. Thus the accumulation of water in the wheel well area. There are drains there but because you where in a heavy down pour the rain over exceeded the ability to drain the wheel wells. Hence the wet filters because the water was droping in from above, but it never got above the bottom of the filter or you may have gotten some water into the engine. So I made something to keep water from coming into the engine area from the inlets. This is a work in progress, I simplily cut a piece of exterior plywood to fit where the inlet attached to the OEM filter boxes and held it in place with bungee cord. I'll take some pic's and post them. So people can have a better idea of what I'm talking about. I installed all of the covers and went to the car wash to test my mod. It stayed relativily dry, it got a little wet but nothing of any consquence. When I'm done experimenting I'm going to do it right because I'm not happy with some of my workmenship. I'm retired with nothing to do but drive my car. ride my motorcycle and putter around. This gives me great satisfaction. I know everyone doesn't have that luxury but I'll try to streamline this mod a little and leave it up to anyone thats chooses to try this mod. PM me a phone number and I''l tell you what mistakes I've made and offer any advise you may want. Hope this post is helpful.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by chucky
Max, I'm sorry I assumed you knew what I was talking about, but you know what they say about assumed! So here goes, remember when you installed the Injen and decided to leave the placle where the stock inlet air comes in right in front of the factory air filters open for more air to enter the engine area for cooling? Well, orginally there where two boxes to collect water before it entered the air filters. The instructions for the Injen has you remove those and remove the whole inlet via removal of the front bumper. If you don't remove those cold air enters the engine area, which is a good thing, but there is no longer a way to keep the water out. So, as you cruise in the rain all of the water that would have been drained out enters the engine area and drops a large portion of it into the wheel well areas. This happens because water is heavier than air. Thus the accumulation of water in the wheel well area. There are drains there but because you where in a heavy down pour the rain over exceeded the ability to drain the wheel wells. Hence the wet filters because the water was droping in from above, but it never got above the bottom of the filter or you may have gotten some water into the engine. So I made something to keep water from coming into the engine area from the inlets. This is a work in progress, I simplily cut a piece of exterior plywood to fit where the inlet attached to the OEM filter boxes and held it in place with bungee cord. I'll take some pic's and post them. So people can have a better idea of what I'm talking about. I installed all of the covers and went to the car wash to test my mod. It stayed relativily dry, it got a little wet but nothing of any consquence. When I'm done experimenting I'm going to do it right because I'm not happy with some of my workmenship. I'm retired with nothing to do but drive my car. ride my motorcycle and putter around. This gives me great satisfaction. I know everyone doesn't have that luxury but I'll try to streamline this mod a little and leave it up to anyone thats chooses to try this mod. PM me a phone number and I''l tell you what mistakes I've made and offer any advise you may want. Hope this post is helpful.
Nice... never thought of that... keep up the good work!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:35 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Chucky how the heck can you say you feel a bigger gain now then when you added exhaust and HFC's Those mods produce way more HP/TQ gains then an injen intake, even with the mods you added for air. The way you described how the car drove before and after makes it seem like you gained 20 HP. You should have done a dyno, because I think the sound of the intakes and the new feel of the car are messing with you. I'd bet money that you'd be shocked if you saw the actual gain on a dyno screen compared to how you feel driving the car. Butt dyno's can be very deceiving
Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 AM
chucky

Can't explain

All I know is that I was getting slip indictor lights up to forth gear. That never happened before. No one was more surprised than me, I said in an earlier post that I didn't expect much because of what PMS experienced. The ecu just put all three mods together. I was happy with the exhust and hfc's power and I wanted cold air and wasn't happy with my stillen longtubes.This isn't my first rodeo, I do have "SOME" experience and I'm telling you I was certinly impressed. I understand your thoughts and respect them. Everything happens after 2800rpm, today I was screwing around and eased it up to just short of 2800 then slowly eased through it and even with just easing it you can feel a definite increase that wasn't the case before. Next a flash then I'll do a dyno. In an earlier post I saw someone had removed the fake inlets I'd like to hear his experiences. So for now I'll just be happy.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:51 AM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I agre, I touched my INJEN CAI's after my drive home from town side, which is like a 25-30min drive, mostly freeway. and it started to rain some, the roads were wet. And after I got home I wanted to see if any water from the road got onto the Intake Filters. and I looked down with a flashlight, and low and behold, Not a drop of water hit the Intake Filters at all! BONE DRY!! So I am not sure what all the fuss is about Hydrolocking. Only way you can do this si to drive through a Deep A$$ puddle. and keep flooring it while you go through it! LOL. thats the only way you could ever Hydro your Motor with these Intakes. and I was going like 65-70mph on a wet highway! Also I touched my Intakes. and they were just warm, not Scorching hot like some others I have seen posted?? But I could lay my Palm of my hand around the Tubes, and it was Warm like I said, and not super hot! So Just wanted to add my Expierence to this Injen Thread. Aslo does the Sedan's Vent in the SPort Bumper also come off like your G37 ones? I tink it would be kinda cool, to do somekind of small Mod to the front Vents to get a little more cooloer air To the Filters. or at least a straight shot of air to them while driving?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:24 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by 808MIKE
I agre, I touched my INJEN CAI's after my drive home from town side, which is like a 25-30min drive, mostly freeway. and it started to rain some, the roads were wet. And after I got home I wanted to see if any water from the road got onto the Intake Filters. and I looked down with a flashlight, and low and behold, Not a drop of water hit the Intake Filters at all! BONE DRY!! So I am not sure what all the fuss is about Hydrolocking. Only way you can do this si to drive through a Deep A$$ puddle. and keep flooring it while you go through it! LOL. thats the only way you could ever Hydro your Motor with these Intakes. and I was going like 65-70mph on a wet highway! Also I touched my Intakes. and they were just warm, not Scorching hot like some others I have seen posted?? But I could lay my Palm of my hand around the Tubes, and it was Warm like I said, and not super hot! So Just wanted to add my Expierence to this Injen Thread. Aslo does the Sedan's Vent in the SPort Bumper also come off like your G37 ones? I tink it would be kinda cool, to do somekind of small Mod to the front Vents to get a little more cooloer air To the Filters. or at least a straight shot of air to them while driving?
nope your sledan is molded into the bumper...
Old 07-28-2008, 03:09 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Chucky, All I know about other peoples experience with removing the inlets is (I forget his name on here ) he removed them for his injen dyno on a stock G37, and was so pissed he didn't even post his results. I'll try and search the old thread later, I do know it got locked quick because he was the first review on a stock car, and then he slapped us in the face with no numbers like he promised.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:19 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Here ya go....lololol

Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM
chucky

Finally pic's

Hope these are self explanatory. The cover looks sloppy because I just brushed on rustoleum before the water test. Max, you did it again!! oh well I'll get it evenually. Thanks again

Last edited by chucky; 07-28-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Injen CAI mode for those interested