Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Injen CAI mode for those interested

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks chucky!! pretty cool mod you got there... I was thinkin bout doing this too... But with a different mesh...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:58 PM
chucky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mesh

gamedog I used the heavy mesh because I spray my car often because of the Texas bugs and I wanted something to withstand the water psi plus it's stainless steel and won't rust. I used a wood chisle to remove the remaining plastic after I drilled the holes. But if you take your time and keep the drill bit centered in the diamond areas it looks pretty good and the project is a lot easier. I think this is going to work for us Injen owners.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, very meticulous work there! Very well thought out.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
J.Oh

i dont get why there is mesh and a piece of metal covering it?
Old 07-22-2008, 07:18 PM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i thought about this...but the red washer bottle will now be quite visible on the passenger side. filters will be visible on both sides. I was thinking about just drilling away a few holes on the bottom rows. In any event, can you take a pic of them installed? Thanks ahead.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:38 AM
chucky

homeless drunk, the mesh is to keep out some of the bugs or any larger debris and the cover is a little misleading. I just wanted to show the cover installed. The cover is for when it rains to prevent drowning the filters. I plan on just using two wing bolts for a quick install and when the wet season comes I'll use something more appealing.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:06 AM
chucky

JLai I just wanted to maximize the air to the filters, plus extra cooling for the engine. If you just drilled the diamond centers out with a bit and cleaned up the hole edges a little you will get plenty of air and it looks pretty good. OH, it's a good idea to leave top row not drilled. You could paint the front of the reservior black. I'm shying away from posting pic's till I get a better handle on that process. I just got a cell phone last christmas, nuff said!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:29 AM
JLai

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chucky
JLai I just wanted to maximize the air to the filters, plus extra cooling for the engine. If you just drilled the diamond centers out with a bit and cleaned up the hole edges a little you will get plenty of air and it looks pretty good. OH, it's a good idea to leave top row not drilled. You could paint the front of the reservior black. I'm shying away from posting pic's till I get a better handle on that process. I just got a cell phone last christmas, nuff said!
Thanks for the insight. I'm still in debate as to how I want to approach this. One thing is for sure, those vents are coming out for track days, lol. Screw baffles redirecting air flow...fresh air will be hitting the filters directly.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if this will change the fact that the Intake Pipes are hot enough to fry eggs on?
Old 07-23-2008, 12:57 PM
NicksIvoryG37s

hahahaha^
Old 07-23-2008, 01:17 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I wonder if this will change the fact that the Intake Pipes are hot enough to fry eggs on?
Doubt it. They are metal and in the engine bay so if it does it probably wont even be noticable.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by Kidcane
Doubt it. They are metal and in the engine bay so if it does it probably wont even be noticable.
yea your prolly right... I know those tubes burnt the CRAP outta me...
Old 07-23-2008, 03:36 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Has anyone thought about the fact Infiniti kept this area sealed for a reason? If you think about aerodynamics, you want to be pushing air either over or under our cars. This mod creates an opening where air can't escape. It enters into the engine bay and is blocked below by the splash guards and above by the hood that is sealed. I know you guys want cold air coming in for your intakes but think about how all the incoming air that is not being used is just entering and slowing you down with no place to go.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 AM
chucky

Conter point

I'll let you all know if it slows me down. Infinity didn't add aftermarket intakes, hfc's, exhust systems, groung effects or grounding kits but some of those add power and that seems to be the point. As far as the air having no where to go it will run around the intakes, up the tubes, along the sides of the engine, and down through of the hfc's area and out along the drive shaft tunnel cooling as it gose. I could be wrong but that's my thought process in coming up with this mod. I'm finishing up tomrrow I'll post in the evening and I'll check the heat of the tubes. That is the one thing that has me concerned I can't figure out why they get that hot. I'm thinking the tubes must be very heat conductive and they're picking up heat from the headers. I only have a butt dyno and I'm half deaf from flying in the military for thirty plus years, but Ive been weekend racing cars and motorcycles for over forty years. So, if I say the car is faster I have the experience to back it up. I don't expect a lot of power gain because of what happened with PMS. I choose the Injen because I think it will give me the most power with a ECU flash. I'm not trying to alienate anyone just share some of my wisdom. In turn maybe someone can teach me how to post pic's lol!

Last edited by chucky; 07-24-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Just call me up today around 3:45 EST and ill tell ya how to post pics...

Quick Reply: Injen CAI mode for those interested