Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

does stillen intakes make your car slower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 10:21 AM
woosky000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does stillen intakes make your car slower?

i have stillen intakes and the engine sounds louder, but acceleration seems slower than the stock intakes. is it just me or does the stillens make the car go slower? who has the 411 on this?
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen any independent dynos of Stillen's intake at this point.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:37 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Word on the street is that is does loose power.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

I dont think it will make you slower per say, but it won't make you faster either. Possibly after your car gets used to it it might make something positive but you would need to try to dyno stock and dyno on another day with conditions being as similar as possible.

Now with other mods this intake could hurt you as it did in my dyno testing but again, I don't know how reliable those #'s were because we never went on a drive.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by BiscuitWeasel
I'm running Stillen long tube intakes and cat-back exhaust. The air/fuel mixture is quite a bit richer now and the power output is increased a bit more above 3 grand, a bit less below.

Without modding the ECU to take advantage of the increased flowthrough, I don't think it's all that worthwhile to spend close to 2 grand on the parts.

I have an appt with Tadashi at Technosquare to get the a/f ratio right and let him do his performance magic. It's pretty clear from dyno results after the chip work that we'll be good for at least 40+ RWHP increase, and the upgraded intake/exhaust will then play a larger factor in boosting power.

Another way to say all that is the stock intake/exhaust is pretty damn good
40whp just like the injen 14hp
Old 08-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by BiscuitWeasel
I'm running Stillen long tube intakes and cat-back exhaust. The air/fuel mixture is quite a bit richer now and the power output is increased a bit more above 3 grand, a bit less below.

Without modding the ECU to take advantage of the increased flowthrough, I don't think it's all that worthwhile to spend close to 2 grand on the parts.

I have an appt with Tadashi at Technosquare to get the a/f ratio right and let him do his performance magic. It's pretty clear from dyno results after the chip work that we'll be good for at least 40+ RWHP increase, and the upgraded intake/exhaust will then play a larger factor in boosting power.

Another way to say all that is the stock intake/exhaust is pretty damn good
At least 40+ HP to the wheels might be expecting a bit much, considering Doug got a little over 15 HP more to the wheels from his reflash+HFCs+intakes. Notice his baseline exhaust-only dyno (black) tops out at a little under 255. His reflash+HFCs+intake graph (purple) is around 270:

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 08-02-2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
SOLISIMO

I think you guys are believing the estimated gains too much. When I had my 04 Cobra which was naturally supercharged, then youd expect 30-40hp from an intake and exhaust change. On an na import car, sorry not gonna happend Even with a tune
Old 08-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
I think you guys are believing the estimated gains too much. When I had my 04 Cobra which was naturally supercharged, then youd expect 30-40hp from an intake and exhaust change. On an na import car, sorry not gonna happend Even with a tune
Yeah, there's only so much you can gain on a naturally-aspirated car without internal mods like different cams, cylinder head porting & polishing, higher compression pistons, etc. Bolt-ons and an ECU reflash make a far bigger difference on turbocharged cars than n/a cars like ours.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:41 PM
SOLISIMO

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Yeah, there's only so much you can gain on a naturally-aspirated car without internal mods like different cams, cylinder head porting & polishing, higher compression pistons, etc. Bolt-ons and an ECU reflash make a far bigger difference on turbocharged cars than n/a cars like ours.
Thanks but I see guys saying that they see a but diff. off an exhaust, having the greddy, I do not see a but diff. what so ever. I think its 90% mental unless you go turbo
Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Buddy Revell

Yeah, I'm thinking with our G37s, a mid to high 20's WHP increase after intake+HFC+exhaust+ECU reflash is a more reasonable estimate.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:57 PM
SOLISIMO

Yeah, I'm thinking with our G37s, a mid to high 20's WHP increase after intake+HFC+exhaust+ECU reflash is a more reasonable estimate.
If that
Old 08-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Buddy Revell

Originally Posted by SOLISIMO
If that
Yeah, we won't know for sure until more people follow Doug's lead and get these mods and actually dyno them instead of relying on butt dynos and ricer math.

Last edited by Buddy Revell; 08-02-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:08 PM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
i just installed my injen today, i love it but it was a PITA to install....
Old 08-02-2008, 08:10 PM
SOLISIMO

Yeah, we won't know for sure until more people follow Doug's lead and get these mods and actually dyno them instead of relying on butt dynos and ricer math.

Ricer Math Couldnt have said it better myself, thank you... you seem legit
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Buddy Revell

Haha, but I guess if people are happy with their mods and their driving experience because of those mods, it's ok to rely on the ol' butt dyno. As long as they don't start going around claiming specific horsepower gains and swear by them as fact, that is.

Quick Reply: does stillen intakes make your car slower?