Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Y-pipe dyno and findings about y-pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:20 PM
DanMardik

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by milelin
Just an update on the y-pipes, few days ago, we had the piece removed for more testing as we are planning to come out with another design and immediately i can feel the increase of tq with the O.E pipes back on. This is especially felt when crusing. I do have the HFC so we are suspecting that further reducing back pressure wasnt a good idea. My center pipe is stock.

I know our dyno shows small gains but that was on 4th gear with the padle to the floor. plus this car is electronically throttled which made things very complicated when it comes to real life driving. Well, the truth is, the car does have much more usable tq under normal driving conditions with the O.E y-pipe back on. Looks like this will be hard one to match..

Also, just for reference, the O.E y-pipe has a 2.5 opening connecting to the center pipe, the 1.75 is only for the sections following the cat. We will try to make some changes and hopefully we can get something to work well in all conditions or else we will have to scape this project. Also, unlike the O.E cat, the O.E y-pipe is very light already, a stainless steel part wont make much difference in weight
So I wonder how the car would feel with just the Y-pipe instead of HFC and Y-pipe.

You think we could retain or improve on usable TQ levels with one or the other?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:11 PM
milelin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I wonder how the car would feel with just the Y-pipe instead of HFC and Y-pipe.

You think we could retain or improve on usable TQ levels with one or the other?
Personally, i think HFC will generate much better results then the y-pipe along. Many pecific y-pipes has been made for the DE and the HR and from what i can see the results are very similar (2-4WHP). We have done countless exhaust setups and from a manufacturer's standpoint, power on the dyno dosent 100% translate to usable power on the street.. espeically on daily drivers and auto transmissions. Thats why many people "feel" there is a power lose eventhough the dyno shows positive results throughout the curve. Dyno is good reference but it is not a duplication of real driving conditions.

hey milelin, i thought u had Greddy exhaust before?
how much did those fujitsubo run u?
Never had the greddy before. Btw, a significant amount of their parts is actually made here. The fujitsubo will run about $1,000. It makes no power but i really like the look and the quality is top notch.. and it sounds amazing.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
amoney805

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
How can a catback not make any power? Assuming the piping is bigger diameter.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:47 AM
milelin

I only got the muffler. It was offered in japan as an option. they have recently released the catback version though.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:28 PM
Exhaust Depot

Originally Posted by amoney805

Because you have dual piping for your catback. So your dual pipes is bigger than a single 2.5" pipe persay. Teh y-pipe is the most restrictive part of the system.