Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Hydrolock must be a concern, no??

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 06:27 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hydrolock must be a concern, no??

I just drove home on the highway in a classic south florida downpour and all I could do is think about what would happen if I had the INJEN CAI. I watched many cars in the outside lanes splashing through certain sections of the highway (I'm talking water going more than halfway up the height of the front tires) with water spraying out both sides of the front of the car, This made me believe hydrolock cannot be dismissed as a possiblility with the Injen filters being as low as they are.

The thing that really got me worried was when I exited the highway and waited at a red light on the off ramp watching cars splash by on the road adjacent to the highway. What I saw was very concerning IMO if I had and injen CAI. Many cars as they turned sent water spraying right up over the front tires as they turned onto the highway ramp. I mean I can't believe this wouldn't pose a threat for possible hydrolock with the Injen CAI. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think it's a serious concern for these, at least in heavy rain areas like south florida.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:38 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I am Tampa so I know what you mean and that is my main concern especially with my car lowered as low as I have it. Unfortunately I am going to hold off see what happens with others.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:41 PM
jtree007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
I just drove home on the highway in a classic south florida downpour and all I could do is think about what would happen if I had the INJEN CAI. I watched many cars in the outside lanes splashing through certain sections of the highway (I'm talking water going more than halfway up the height of the front tires) with water spraying out both sides of the front of the car, This made me believe hydrolock cannot be dismissed as a possiblility with the Injen filters being as low as they are.

The thing that really got me worried was when I exited the highway and waited at a red light on the off ramp watching cars splash by on the road adjacent to the highway. What I saw was very concerning IMO if I had and injen CAI. Many cars as they turned sent water spraying right up over the front tires as they turned onto the highway ramp. I mean I can't believe this wouldn't pose a threat for possible hydrolock with the Injen CAI. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I think it's a serious concern for these, at least in heavy rain areas like south florida.

are you saying the spray was half way up or the water was?

If the water was... then I would have parked the car as soon as I could as that is way too much water to be driving through... unless u are doing it slowly in a suv... but a car like ours would be very likely to loose control or have more problems... like water entering the car.

If it was spray.. I would not worry about that at all. that water would never see the CAI filter as it is nicely tucked away, and really a CAI is not going to suck an significat amount of water untill it is mostly.. if not completely submerged.

I had an Injen CAI on my 350Z and never did I have an issue or worry about it. I have been in some nasty weather with it either... It is a lot harder then you may think to hydrolock a car... and if you are in conditions that you can... then you should not be driving anywhere in it in the first place.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:04 PM
erasat

When I first saw that Injen was getting an intake I thought, I want one as soon as they are out, then I just saw the pictures, and I simply gave up on the idea. I live in Puerto Rico, so my weather is similar to yours or even worst, so that low for the filters will not make it for me.

So, solutions, stay with Stock or try JWT pop-Chargers, the decision was easy, and now they just arrived to my vendor and I should have mine early next week.

Just in case, I organized a Group Buy, just look for the thread in this Forum. So far $309 plus shipping and if more people get in, it can go as low as $289, Dyno for 350z Dual, shows 8-10 WHP gains, they are expecting teh same for our cars. Installation should take 20 minutes, and cleaning the filters should be done in 10.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:09 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I drove through a SEVERE rainstorm on my way home from Frisco with these on... I mean I'm talking slow down to 45 mph on the highway because its so hard to see severe! And I had no issues at all with my intakes... Drove through puddles (not anything extreme BTW, but definitely deep enough to crest my front bumper) and had no problems either...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:14 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by jtree007
are you saying the spray was half way up or the water was?

If the water was... then I would have parked the car as soon as I could as that is way too much water to be driving through... unless u are doing it slowly in a suv... but a car like ours would be very likely to loose control or have more problems... like water entering the car.

If it was spray.. I would not worry about that at all. that water would never see the CAI filter as it is nicely tucked away, and really a CAI is not going to suck an significat amount of water untill it is mostly.. if not completely submerged.

I had an Injen CAI on my 350Z and never did I have an issue or worry about it. I have been in some nasty weather with it either... It is a lot harder then you may think to hydrolock a car... and if you are in conditions that you can... then you should not be driving anywhere in it in the first place.
It was heavy spray that was coming up, water on road was not more than a few inches, so I guess it would be ok then based on what you are explaining, I didn't realize CAI won't suck up much water unless submerged. Thanks for your input, this helps ease my worries somewhat at least.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:16 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by gamedog
I drove through a SEVERE rainstorm on my way home from Frisco with these on... I mean I'm talking slow down to 45 mph on the highway because its so hard to see severe! And I had no issues at all with my intakes... Drove through puddles (not anything extreme BTW, but definitely deep enough to crest my front bumper) and had no problems either...
This sounds like exactly what I was driving through and wondering what would happen with the Injen CAI, I guess I now know what would happen,....nothing, LOL! Thanks Gamedog, this also helps ease my concerns about possible hydrolock.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:17 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Glad I could help bro... Just don't drive through anything too crazy and you shouldn't have any issues...
Old 06-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Kream

Tell me if I'm wrong, but I thought the only way you can hydrolock with those Injen CAI if they are fully submerged in water.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

^^Thats exactly correct. These do sit lower then the Injen CAI for G35 and 350 or at least it really looks like they do.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
A lot of SFL members I know have the Injen or other CAI and I've never heard of any problems. The splash guard should do a pretty good job of keeping any water out. Honestly, I sincerely doubt there are ANY performance gains from the CAI vs. short-ram with heat shield so better to stay safe than sorry in wet areas like SFL, stick with the short-ram intake or better yet, don't waste your money on any intakes!
Old 06-18-2008, 09:22 PM
SteveG37

Originally Posted by DiamondGCoupe
A lot of SFL members I know have the Injen or other CAI and I've never heard of any problems. The splash guard should do a pretty good job of keeping any water out. Honestly, I sincerely doubt there are ANY performance gains from the CAI vs. short-ram with heat shield so better to stay safe than sorry in wet areas like SFL, stick with the short-ram intake or better yet, don't waste your money on any intakes!
The bold quote may be the best advice, I'm thinking of going with exhaust mods now instead, may hold off completely on all the intakes until we see some independent dyno numbers justifying them for more than just sound.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:45 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

On the hydrolock topic ... it is not easy to suck that much water up the two intakes. Not only do the filters themselves have to be competely submerged, but the opening of the pipe they are attached to must be under water as well, otherwise air will still be able to get in (easier to draw in air than water). By the time that happens, the inside of your car will be flooded giving you other things to worry about.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:04 AM
sahiwal007

lol, i need to buy those hydro covers for my injen, anyone knows when injen is releasing them?
Old 06-19-2008, 12:05 AM
gmlee86
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those should be universal with the other applications already available. You just need to order for the correct filter size, which I don't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Quick Reply: Hydrolock must be a concern, no??