Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Hydrolock must be a concern, no??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:08 AM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks all for clearing up the many misconceptions I had about hydrolock, you guys gave me the confidence to go with the INJEN CAI, I just snuck in my order with Naimoli at AMT before the midnight deadline, can't wait till this sucker arrives!!!!! Injen and also my fellow members at myg37.com FTW!!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:13 AM
J.Oh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
Thanks all for clearing up the many misconceptions I had about hydrolock, you guys gave me the confidence to go with the INJEN CAI, I just snuck in my order with Naimoli at AMT before the midnight deadline, can't wait till this sucker arrives!!!!! Injen and also my fellow members at myg37.com FTW!!
yea i had a problem with the hydrolock question as well GOODLUCK rain sucks btw
Old 06-20-2008, 02:54 AM
g37SkylineGTR

I live in SoFlo also... those injen hydroshields are a musttt
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had many CAI intakes on cars that were far lower then my G is and it is slammed. Also my aem on my S2000 sat far lower then the injen does and i have no issues with that either. There is only one way you can hydro lock the car with injen intakes. you must completely submerge the filters under water. it is impossible for spray, splash, semi puddles, normal driving is going to cause hydro lock. think of it as a straw. if you have only part of the straw in your drink you can suck the fluid up because there is not enough pressure to pull the liquid up. but submerge the straw and you flow the liquid. same thing with the intakes. no different at all. those hydro shields are going to do nothing if you full submerge the filters. they are a marketing gimic to scare people with because most people are uninformed about hydro lock and they worry that spray, or mist or splashes are going to hydro lock their motor non of which is true. so they sell these shields to give people a false sense of security. bottom line is unless you drive in a puddle where the water comes up half way on your bumper which is the height you would need to go in order to cover the filters your not going to hydro lock
Old 06-20-2008, 10:54 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
I have had many CAI intakes on cars that were far lower then my G is and it is slammed. Also my aem on my S2000 sat far lower then the injen does and i have no issues with that either. There is only one way you can hydro lock the car with injen intakes. you must completely submerge the filters under water. it is impossible for spray, splash, semi puddles, normal driving is going to cause hydro lock. think of it as a straw. if you have only part of the straw in your drink you can suck the fluid up because there is not enough pressure to pull the liquid up. but submerge the straw and you flow the liquid. same thing with the intakes. no different at all. those hydro shields are going to do nothing if you full submerge the filters. they are a marketing gimic to scare people with because most people are uninformed about hydro lock and they worry that spray, or mist or splashes are going to hydro lock their motor non of which is true. so they sell these shields to give people a false sense of security. bottom line is unless you drive in a puddle where the water comes up half way on your bumper which is the height you would need to go in order to cover the filters your not going to hydro lock
Excellent explaination bro, before I learned what I did on this forum the past week I woulda been one of the suckers to buy something like the "hydro shields" gimmicks, LOL!!
Old 06-20-2008, 11:45 PM
TomG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveG37
The bold quote may be the best advice, I'm thinking of going with exhaust mods now instead, may hold off completely on all the intakes until we see some independent dyno numbers justifying them for more than just sound.
I have to agree with you on that also, itakes are only for sound. They do sound great, but your not going to feel a real difference.

Also for those who are worried about hydro-lock, mabe you can cut the injen and add in a AEM bypass pictured below.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:08 AM
sahiwal007

what is that?^^
Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM
TomG37

Originally Posted by sahiwal007
what is that?^^
It lets the water out before it has a chance to get into the engine, I don't know how well it works, but I know some of the G35 guys have used it on there injen's.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:33 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it does work but it effects hp a lot. You have to cut the intake tube to add that piece in. and it releases pressure from the intake. it stays closed to an extent while air is flowing through. but when it feels extreme pressure build up i.e. when the filters are submerged it makes the water flow into the sponge instead of going to the motor. but it has two flaws.one since you have to cut the intake to install it you loose the direct flow of air from the bottom of the intake to the TB's which effects hp. second it only works for one surge of water. meaning it is designed so that the second water hits it, the water comes out but its soaks fast so if you have a substantial amount of water its still going to get past and into the motor. its a good idea in theory but not well exicuted.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:40 AM
TomG37

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
it does work but it effects hp a lot. You have to cut the intake tube to add that piece in. and it releases pressure from the intake. it stays closed to an extent while air is flowing through. but when it feels extreme pressure build up i.e. when the filters are submerged it makes the water flow into the sponge instead of going to the motor. but it has two flaws.one since you have to cut the intake to install it you loose the direct flow of air from the bottom of the intake to the TB's which effects hp. second it only works for one surge of water. meaning it is designed so that the second water hits it, the water comes out but its soaks fast so if you have a substantial amount of water its still going to get past and into the motor. its a good idea in theory but not well exicuted.
Thanks for explaining it better, I have just seen people use them on the 35's, don't know much about them.