Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008 | 01:31 AM
shanew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Update:

I got a chance to drive home through town today and have some additional observations:
1) The torque increase is really noticeable- even from 3K RPMs. Driving in modulating trafic speeds toward the end rush hour- with each engagement of the throttle I could definitely feel the increased torque.
2) Throttle response is very nicely improved. When I had the opportunity to open it up from a roll at 3000 RPM in 2nd gear- on 2 occassions- I was able to get the slip light to flicker. This has never occured when I was stock and not even when I had my HFCs.

Low end torque improvement FTW! This was noticeable even though it was about 89 degrees outside.

I haven't reset my ECU yet. I will do that in the morning and see how it responds.

For those of you looking to improve torque, this is the mod to do it.
Had a question on this. How and why would you reset the ECU? I just got my G37S 6MT today and am already looking into mods cause apparently my brain and wallet are on 2 different planets! Hehehe. Anyway - I am not a huge "car guy", I race bikes and know them back to front but this is all new to me.
Old 06-28-2008 | 02:30 AM
usctrojan

HFCs + Y Pipes

What do you think of doing both Mods together? UNV, you tested both HFCs and Y-pipes individually, but have you had them both on at the same time? Anyone else do this because I am interested in doing them both and want to know how it would affect my ride (6mt sport). Prices?
Old 06-28-2008 | 02:35 AM
shanew

hahahaha - I have been researching that question on the forum for the past 2 hours! So far it doesnt seem like anyone has done it OR it cant be done?? I was thinking along the same lines actually so hopefully we are not complete idiots here.......
Old 06-28-2008 | 03:02 AM
usctrojan

LoL. It doesn't hurt to throw it out there even if we sound like idiots. That's I how learn things around here.
Old 06-28-2008 | 03:07 AM
shanew

yup - I was married for 11 years, I am used to being called an idiot anyway!
Old 06-28-2008 | 10:05 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by usctrojan
What do you think of doing both Mods together? UNV, you tested both HFCs and Y-pipes individually, but have you had them both on at the same time? Anyone else do this because I am interested in doing them both and want to know how it would affect my ride (6mt sport). Prices?
i have not test HFC's on my car
Old 06-28-2008 | 10:54 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by shanew
Had a question on this. How and why would you reset the ECU? I just got my G37S 6MT today and am already looking into mods cause apparently my brain and wallet are on 2 different planets! Hehehe. Anyway - I am not a huge "car guy", I race bikes and know them back to front but this is all new to me.
To reset the ecu you have to depress the pedal multiple time sin a certain sequence. I think that there is a link to a DIY on the forum I'll have to look for it and find it.

Resetting the ECU allows the car to more quickly learn the new air and fuel ratios as well as other performance settings that may have been changed because of your new mods. The car will take advantange more fuly of the new breathing mods as a result.

here is the ECU reset DIY thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...02&postcount=1

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 06-28-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: found ECU reset thread
Old 06-28-2008 | 10:59 PM
KAHBOOM

Originally Posted by usctrojan
I had HFCs at one point and then I sold them and then I got the y-pipe.

The HFCs produced good gains they were felt at higher RPMS. The y-pipe produces gains at lower RPMs. To be honest I like the Y-pipe better. Eventually I do want a stainless one just to have it. I got rid of the HFCs because I know that eventually I want to get a full exhaust system. But I don't want it to be too loud.
HFCs will increase the volume of your exhaust moreso than a y-pipe.

If you put the two together , it sholdn't hurt anything at all. Many have do this set up on the previous generation coupes. It may produce less back pressure however and thus low end torque (below 3500 RPM)may be reduced as a trade off for much more mid and high end HP.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 06-28-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2008 | 11:08 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
should be getting it on the dyno today
Did the dynos ever happen or did I miss the thread?
Old 12-03-2008 | 08:46 PM
chamelieon

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
should be getting it on the dyno today
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Did the dynos ever happen or did I miss the thread?
seriously.. read up 5 pages and nothing on the exhaust after the Ypipe... update??
Old 12-03-2008 | 09:10 PM
bunluvsvw

Originally Posted by amoney805
Someone should hook this pipe up to the greddy, then dyno it before and after
Hehe, I have the Ypipe hooked up to the Greddy Tic and the Gen3 stillen intake. My car drives like an animal now. lol
Old 12-08-2008 | 10:50 AM
KAHBOOM

I have just the y-pipe, and I primarily notice increased mid range power.
Old 12-08-2008 | 01:07 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 243 Likes on 193 Posts
thread has been brought back to life after.. 6 months! nice
btw.. how restrictive are the stock mufflers? to keep the whole stealth look i mean might just throw HFC's intakes and this y-pipe while keeping stock mufflers
Old 12-08-2008 | 01:12 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by G37Sam
btw.. how restrictive are the stock mufflers? to keep the whole stealth look i mean might just throw HFC's intakes and this y-pipe while keeping stock mufflers
I wouldnt... alot better ways to acheive what you want...
Old 12-08-2008 | 09:25 PM
QuickSilver08

Originally Posted by G37Sam
I'd like to keep the stock mufflers just to keep it quiet inside but pick up some power. I've already got a diesel with a 5" exhaust and a lopey idle if I wanna **** off the neighbors.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno