Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:35 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Added dyno pics see above
Old 06-17-2008, 01:33 AM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
wow...not bad. for this kind of money is a waaay better value than getting a full dual exhaust
Old 06-17-2008, 02:37 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the key thing is look at the weather difference and it still gained power
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM
dentalstud
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ehhhh, 5 degrees and 9% humidity is not that much difference. Maybe 1 hp, but the fact that the conditions were worse, even though slightly, is encouraging and makes the results all the more valid I would say.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:36 AM
KAHBOOM

What impresses me the most is the gains down low and in the mid range. That's where our cars need it anyway. I think that you will see more improvement in acceleration by having the added power under the curve than if it were primarily up top.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:10 PM
erasat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Added dyno pics see above
Sorry to ask this, but, Where is above?, I can't seem to find the dyno in the whole forum, Am I that blind?
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by erasat
Sorry to ask this, but, Where is above?, I can't seem to find the dyno in the whole forum, Am I that blind?
first page
Old 06-17-2008, 12:21 PM
erasat

Now I know that I need to wait, I went to the first page and saw in the status bar that it wa strying to download the dyno pictures from photobucket, but after a while I just get the 3 red X meaning that couldn't do it.

I also tried going to photobucket directly but it seems that the problem is that they are down as I can't even get their homepage.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:24 PM
erasat

Well, I just could enter the Photobucket home page and I'm seeing my account there but I still can't manage to see the dynos, anybody else with the issue?

I even went directly to page (Yes I saw that in the properties) and it still blank in there.

Last edited by KAHBOOM; 08-26-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:32 PM
UNV-IT46

i see them

p.s. i am having the full cat back system installed from him today or tomorrow and dynoing that to see what it makes
Old 06-17-2008, 01:31 PM
erasat

Now I also can see them, maybe a problem earlier.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:42 PM
KAHBOOM

Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review

So today I got an Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe installed by the dealership.

Pros: Noticeable improvement in mid range power and throttle response
Cons: Motorheads wont like the fact that it wont make the exhaust louder.
Verdict: Stealth Mod

Install:
The install was painless and easy according to the dealership. The y-pipe came equipped with all bolts and gaskets necessary for the install. The aluminized powdercoated pipe had nice clean welds and quality flex joints.
One could do the install him or herself if they have a lift and the right tools. Unfortunately I had neither.

Results:
When the dealership pulled my car around I didn't notice a difference in sound at all. I was pleased with this becasue I don't want to change the stock exhaust note nor do I want to make it any louder until I figure out which exhaust I want to add to it.
As I pull out from the dealership however I did notice that the tone is slightly deeper.
Later in the drive I was able to finally open it up a bit. There is a stretch of road on the way to my neighborhood that is lightly traveled. However I often have to slow down in 2nd gear to wait for a car or two to turn into the local gas station. I normally give myself a full throttle treat of G-force around a long gradual curve. Normally I'm in second gear at the point of engagement, and the engagement is largely uneventful although thrilling. But this time my engaging the throttle was accompanied by a flicker of the slip light.. ah cool! The car performed just like the dyno indicated it would- making a good amount of torque in the mid-range of the powerband just under the curve.

On my way back in to work I had a chance to test it out on the highway. There is no drone whatsoever at any speed nor is there even an indication that you have anything more than a stock exhaust at cruising speeds. That is until you go full throttle on the gas in 3rd gear. The engine seems to breath and rev more freely than stock. There is a good amount of additional pull from a roll- all while keeping a slightly deeper version of the stock exhaust note.

From a dig, I really noticed the difference between 4K and 6K. at full throttle my engine vists those RPMS for a shorter duration now than it did before.

Overall I am impressed with the results. I hear that Exhaust Depot is planning to release a stainless steel version of this y-pipe soon. For those of you in the more weathered regions of the continent- that might be the way to go- although the stock muffler is largely aluminized anyway.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:44 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
So today I got an Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe installed by the dealership.

Pros: Noticeable improvement in mid range power and throttle response
Cons: Motorheads wont like the fact that it wont make the exhaust louder.
Verdict: Stealth Mod

Install:
The install was painless and easy according to the dealership. The y-pipe came equipped with all bolts and gaskets necessary for the install. The aluminized powdercoated pipe had nice clean welds and quality flex joints.
One could do the install him or herself if they have a lift and the right tools. Unfortunately I had neither.

Results:
When the dealership pulled my car around I didn't notice a difference in sound at all. I was pleased with this becasue I don't want to change the stock exhaust note nor do I want to make it any louder until I figure out which exhaust I want to add to it.
As I pull out from the dealership however I did notice that the tone is slightly deeper.
Later in the drive I was able to finally open it up a bit. There is a stretch of road on the way to my neighborhood that is lightly traveled. However I often have to slow down in 2nd gear to wait for a car or two to turn into the local gas station. I normally give myself a full throttle treat of G-force around a long gradual curve. Normally I'm in second gear at the point of engagement, and the engagement is largely uneventful although thrilling. But this time my engaging the throttle was accompanied by a flicker of the slip light.. ah cool! The car performed just like the dyno indicated it would- making a good amount of torque in the mid-range of the powerband just under the curve.

On my way back in to work I had a chance to test it out on the highway. There is no drone whatsoever at any speed nor is there even an indication that you have anything more than a stock exhaust at cruising speeds. That is until you go full throttle on the gas in 3rd gear. The engine seems to breath and rev more freely than stock. There is a good amount of additional pull from a roll- all while keeping a slightly deeper version of the stock exhaust note.

From a dig, I really noticed the difference between 4K and 6K. at full throttle my engine vists those RPMS for a shorter duration now than it did before.

Overall I am impressed with the results. I hear that Exhaust Depot is planning to release a stainless steel version of this y-pipe soon. For those of you in the more weathered regions of the continent- that might be the way to go- although the stock muffler is largely aluminized anyway.
glad to hear your really happy and you confirm my dyno results with your real world experience. Its a great product for the money. I am testing his bat back now with X pipe. going to do the dyno runs on that too.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:01 PM
KAHBOOM

Update:

I got a chance to drive home through town today and have some additional observations:
1) The torque increase is really noticeable- even from 3K RPMs. Driving in modulating trafic speeds toward the end rush hour- with each engagement of the throttle I could definitely feel the increased torque.
2) Throttle response is very nicely improved. When I had the opportunity to open it up from a roll at 3000 RPM in 2nd gear- on 2 occassions- I was able to get the slip light to flicker. This has never occured when I was stock and not even when I had my HFCs.

Low end torque improvement FTW! This was noticeable even though it was about 89 degrees outside.

I haven't reset my ECU yet. I will do that in the morning and see how it responds.

For those of you looking to improve torque, this is the mod to do it.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:33 PM
LPG35

thanks for the review...thinking of ordering one myself. did you feel more power with the y pipe or the hfc. don't know what to get first.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno