Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
very nice...i bet not a big sound difference who want a more stealth mod but get good gains...i know y-pipes were popular with the VQDEs on the Zs..can't wait to see the dyno
yes the sound difference is very minimal. It makes it just at tad louder, a little more throaty. but you really need to know the sound of your car to notice the difference. although people who have heard it have said it sounds louder to them. me i dont notice it that much.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:19 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
UNV- Thanks for contributing to the community...w00t!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:37 AM
maxipad96

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Y-Pipe mod in the maxima community was huge. People yielded big time gains with it. I had it myself and was very satisfied with it. It was a mod you could feel, didn't need a dyno to tell you that.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by maxipad96
The Y-Pipe mod in the maxima community was huge. People yielded big time gains with it. I had it myself and was very satisfied with it. It was a mod you could feel, didn't need a dyno to tell you that.
Yes this is very true but not the complete story. You know that there are tons of people who experienced the awful "bees in the can" sound from almost every Y pipe manufacturer except Cattman. And droning at cruising speed on many of them as well. The gains are better on the Maxima because the 3.0 VQ isn't nearly as efficient as this engine is. UNV, Keep us informed if you develop any bad sounds over time, particularly in the area if the flex sections. Do you have access to get photos of ybs I side of them from the vendor?

Last edited by Black Betty; 06-12-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:59 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Yes this is very true but not the complete story. You know that there are tons of people who experienced the awful "bees in the can" sound from almost every Y pipe manufacturer except Cattman. And droning at cruising speed on many of them as well. The gains are better on the Maxima because the 3.0 VQ isn't nearly as efficient as this engine is. UNV, Keep us informed if you develop any bad sounds over time, particularly in the area if the flex sections. Do you have access to get photos of ybs I side of them from the vendor?
What pics exactly do you want. i can get anything
Old 06-12-2008, 11:34 AM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great write up, but didnt you saw you loose power in the begining
Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by vinnys coupe
great write up, but didnt you saw you loose power in the begining
thats what my butt dyno felt and thats what you would assume since you are going from 1.75 piping which creates more back pressure up to 2.5 piping. but the dyno chart showed a gain. the entire way across the board
Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Yes I agree and that is what I was concerned about at first. Howevwer in the previous gen coupe that buzziness came from the diameter of the y-pipe being bigger than the diameter of the midpipe where they both connected. The y-pipes available for the previous generation G that had an equal diameter connection didn't have that issue if I remember correctly. It appears that Hector has designed this one so that the neck of the y-pipe has the same diameter as the mid-pipe.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:26 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Yes I agree and that is what I was concerned about at first. Howevwer in the previous gen coupe that buzziness came from the diameter of the y-pipe being bigger than the diameter of the midpipe where they both connected. The y-pipes available for the previous generation G that had an equal diameter connection didn't have that issue if I remember correctly. It appears that Hector has designed this one so that the neck of the y-pipe has the same diameter as the mid-pipe.
Correct this is 2.5 back into the mid pipe which is 2.5
Old 06-12-2008, 12:32 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
What pics exactly do you want. i can get anything
Detailed photos of the flex section used, particularly on the inside. Obviously you can't get those on an installed system. I'll contact he vendor to see if he can show me the inside of the flex section, that's were my concerns lie. The video posted sound great.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:38 PM
UNV-IT46

Detailed photos of the flex section used, particularly on the inside. Obviously you can't get those on an installed system. I'll contact he vendor to see if he can show me the inside of the flex section, that's were my concerns lie. The video posted sound great.
the video was of a full cat back system with X pipe. not this Y pipe
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Hey UNV-IT46,

If you want to you can e-mail me a pic of the dyno and I can host it for you.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:07 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by KAHBOOM
Hey UNV-IT46,

If you want to you can e-mail me a pic of the dyno and I can host it for you.
ok i have them on my house comp soi will email them to you later. pm me your email. thanks
Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
cvt

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
i can't wait to see this dyno...i hope you you had an afr as well..
Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 AM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by cvt
i can't wait to see this dyno...i hope you you had an afr as well..
no af.... no tq just hp

Quick Reply: Exhaust Depot Y-Pipe Review and Dyno