Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HFCs and Oil Consumption: FACT or FICTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:46 AM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, I've never won anything before I guess it doesn't take a genius to realize his explanation for cause of consumption was a$$ backwards
Old 04-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Genome

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a "Dear Editor" column...?

...where I can tear that guy a new one...? Master Tech/Associate Editor my A$$. Anybody ever needs a clear and definitive answer on financial matters, I'm your guy...so sorry to be such a pain on mechanical issues where I know nothing(oh, but you can already see that,huh). What a bunch of constipation because of a goof. What dealership is that so that I can give a wide berth...?

Last edited by Genome; 04-28-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: meanspirited
Old 04-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Genome

Thumbs up P.S. Thanks for your patience and replies

Much appreciated ...!
Old 04-28-2008, 01:34 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
buy the kits. i don't have anything to gain from FI sales. I went to them after doing a TON of research. My teammate with a super modified jetta went to them years ago and kept telling me to go there. finally after 2 months of serious research i went there. Its been one of the best moves i have made.

So i would buy and listen to them 1st b4 listening to someone else. tony specializes in nissan an infinitis

Last edited by solopresident; 04-28-2008 at 01:37 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:37 AM
Genome

I for one believe you

Just didn't think that an Associate Editor for a reputable mag could be so ill-informed but I should know better

Last edited by Genome; 04-28-2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: meanspirited
Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

not sure he's an *** but not familiar with the G37 or the new motors. I wouldn't call him an *** out right but just call up the pros in the future

Tony is available all day long to help out.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:53 AM
Genome

Thumbs up You're a better man than me...

'cause I'm often guilty of attaching that label to people who speak authoritatively about things of which they know not...
Old 04-28-2008, 02:38 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

its all good dude. I just don't get on here much anymore and when i do I don't get to all the threads.

Just call up tony, he'll help you out.
Old 04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
buy the kits. i don't have anything to gain from FI sales. I went to them after doing a TON of research. My teammate with a super modified jetta went to them years ago and kept telling me to go there. finally after 2 months of serious research i went there. Its been one of the best moves i have made.

So i would buy and listen to them 1st b4 listening to someone else. tony specializes in nissan an infinitis
Doesn't FI sponsor you or am I mistaken? If so, then no, your opinion cannot possibly be considered to be unbiased. I'm certainly not knocking them as a company, or saying their product isn't as great as you say it is, or that you didn't do your homework and find out they are the greatest and that's why you believe in them so much. All of that may be true. Hell, I'm even considering buying thier exhaust products pending more time passing and seeing what other options become available in the near future. But unbiased is impossible if you are sponsored by a company in my opinion.

To the OP:
I'm relatively mechanically inclined but I'm certainly no expert on exhaust systems or the VVEL technology or the VQ motor, but Tony's really simple explanation echoed by AZg37 makes perfect logical and mechanical sense to me. HFC's are not a contributing factor to increased oil consumption. That makes common sense to me and unless somebody more tech savvy than I am can make a logical coherent argument otherwise, I don't think HFC's are playing a factor in excessive oil consumption of the G37. However, could you possibly get wtih your service advisor to check up on the issue with the G37 that is in the shop as I find it very interesting and concerning? I'm not going to get into the "when it's safe to switch to synthetic oil" debate as people will believe what they want to in absence of any factual empriical evidence, but I'd like to know what the Nissan/Infiniti engineers have to say about this particular case. Please do that for the community if you can and let us now what's happening there.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:57 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

yes it is true taht i am sponsored by FI but that does not mean i have to come on forums and spread the word about a great company.

Sure my opinion might be biased but i am also sponsored by Recaro, Meguiars, KW, APR, Rotora etc and you don't see me promoting their products like i do FI.

That is why i also said you guys can do the research and see what others say about them. I am sure you all will be surprised at the good comments.

None the less, HFC's will only make your car better not worse. So order away and enjoy them.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I was not sponsored by FI and i still try to get on here and promote there product... Tony runs an awesome shop and i love the quality of his product...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
Ahujadaddy

thanks BlackBetty! Yea, gonna go back and call BS to the Tech's face and see what he says.

So the answer is.... *drum roll* ......... F I C T I O N
G37 Mythbusters to the rescue.
Thanks

Btw, it was someone else here that mentioned about a G37 being in the shop with synthetic and oil consumption, not me. That same Tech told me not to switch to synthetic till at least 20K miles if i really wanted to go that route.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:49 PM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe that 20K number is what Infiniti recommends so personally I would follow it.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Ahujadaddy

^^ i personaly am, since it won't hurt to wait. I'm at 18K and about to put semi-synthetic in.
Then, if all goes well i will be goin over to some GReddy 5w-30 Fully Synthetic oil! The color of the oil is BLUE, like my car! lol
Old 05-03-2008, 09:19 PM
chain492

i think thats bullony (LOL)

Quick Reply: HFCs and Oil Consumption: FACT or FICTION