Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

HFCs and Oil Consumption: FACT or FICTION

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 02:36 PM
KahnQuistador

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
hmm, time to get my flame suit out for the first time ever?
Not flaming anyone. If you have oil consumption problems it's more likely an issue with the engine, not the HFCs.

I've had my SC'd GSR for years and never had an oil consumption problem. Even when I was auto crossing a lot, I changed oil often but not because it was low. Super charged engines flow a lot more air than normally aspirated engines. Still, no problems ever.

Maybe it's the nature of the engine, I don't know. I haven't noticed any problems with my G37 (with Stillen HFCs) but I'm only coming up on my second oil change. Too soon to tell.

I've also been running Crawford cats on my G35 for over 50K miles. Never a problem.

Last edited by KahnQuistador; 04-27-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM
SteveG37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ahujadaddy
He's also the one who recomended not to change to synthetic on the VQ engine till at least 20K miles... thats something others on this board have chimed in about and agreed for the most part.
It's funny that the "master tech" told you this because when I had my OEM exhaust replaced at the dealer a few days ago I asked my service advisor about switching to synthetic oil for my next oil change. He told me they have a G37 in the garage right now that's been there for over a week because it's having an "oil consumption" problem and not running properly since he switched over to synthetic.

He went on to tell me that the mechanics couldn't figure out why this was happening, and that they actually had an engineer scheduled to come out from Infiniti as the "tech line" couldn't figure out the reason this was happening either, but the "tech line" had explained to their mechanics that this was happening in other G37's that switched to synthetic, hence the reason they were sending out an engineer to try and figure this issue out.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:18 PM
KahnQuistador

I've been using full synthetic in all my cars since the first oil change. No problems with any of them.

I'm confused. Am I the only one with no oil problems, synthetic or not?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
TerribleONE453

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks for chiming in tony... and yea get the tech over here so i can hear more about this as well...
Old 04-27-2008, 07:34 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Well guys not biased for anyone or trying to flame anyone. I can fully understand your guys genunine concern in this matter. Modding a very expensive motor is always scary. So let me see if i can help since I have had these for a while now (5000+ miles at LEAST)

I had my oil changed about 100 miles prior to having the HFC's installed. I am not running a synthetic oil just regular OEM recommended oil. I have not changed my oil since. I do check it and its Clean and Full. I have driven a canyon run, up and down the Grapevine (5 freeway through heavy mountain passes, for those not in california, connects LA to central california). For those who know me I don't drive like a nut case but i do drive a tad bit fast and like to get to my cruising speed without babying all the times.

To date, no problems. No oil coming out the tips, no burning smells, no oil consumption. I would like to think that the Master Tech is speaking of the older G35 HR motors not the new G37 VQ motors.

So, after many pm's from Genome, I am stating in my opinion only, don't cancel your orders and enjoy them. if you have a consumption issue its not going to be from new HFC's nor exhaust.

If this is confusing its b/c i have only got 4 hours of sleep in 48 hours.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Genome

Thumbs up Wasn't that many PMs...

...just three but I do appreciate you sharing your opinion
Old 04-27-2008, 09:36 PM
04STi208G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Genome
By the way, any opinions on restocking fee(s) or other charges if cancelled before shipment (probably not even built yet...)?
I'm not at all mechanically-inclined and was feeling like I made a huge mistake when I ordered from your company this week. I had told your salesman about my level of ignorance and asked for assurances that I was not risking voiding my warranty nor risking damage to my already great fun vehicle...and he assured me that I was not risking anything of the kind - not in any way...perhaps you can understand why a mechanical goober like me is a bit freaked...?or not...
I sure want you to be right since I just spent a couple of grand on your system...no doubt, huh...?
If you do get em and decide not to install them please let me know we can work something out.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:28 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cvt
that is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard...it's right up there with the turbonator...
Dude... The turbonator rocks... Extra 300rwhp. I have the dyno to prove.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TerribleONE453

lets see that dyno!!!!

Last edited by TerribleONE453; 04-27-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Genome

Question If any "experts" are still interested...

and are willing to help a newbie(or two) decide whether to move ahead with HFCs. MasterTech is said to have described our situation as "...with this engine, the valves for intake and exhaust are open...and close at the same time..." like it's something special/unique BUT Tony from FastIntentions begins his response by saying that "...every engine has a split second where the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time..." which makes the uninformed (at least this one) think that MasterTech OR Tony is very confused (no offense intended towards either) Q) Is it that cut and dry, or not? Q) Does the reference to a danger of material causing "...bore out..." of something ring any bells? Q) What about the reference to "...scoring the cylinder walls...? shed any light on this controversy? I hope that one or a few of you true "gearheads" (intended to be a term of endearment) will take a manly stance and be definitive about this ...Lastly, solopresident (no more PMs since I've apparently exceeded my limit) - do you have an economic interest in sales of FI HFCs being completed (no affront intended)...? Wish I knew enough to reach my own conclusion but I don't...

Last edited by Genome; 04-28-2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: earlier version too mean-spirited
Old 04-27-2008, 10:38 PM
TerribleONE453

delete some of your PMs and then you can send more..
Old 04-27-2008, 10:45 PM
Genome

I meant he seems to think I've badgered him...

Originally Posted by TerribleONE453
delete some of your PMs and then you can send more..
and I didn't know one could actually exceed some true limit - but thanks for the insight...have any more on topic...?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:50 PM
TerribleONE453

ohh i see... and i honestly dont believe this point at all and i would not be concerned about this issue...
Old 04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
AZg37
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 6 Posts
guys, I'm no mechanic, I'm going strictly off of common sense here. The mechanic said that HFC's cause gunk to go back up inside the exhaust valve and cause oil consumption? HFC's dramatically increase the exhaust flow, ie. the gasses are leaving at a higher rate. Why/how in the world would THIS increase cause gunk to go back up into the valves???? If anything it would fix that problem. Plus I don't understand why anyone would link the problems with the g35 to our 37's.The VQ37HR engine our 37's have comes with Nissans VVEL system, which, as Nissan puts it, stabilizes combustion even when engine is cool, rise in exhaust emissions temperature enables quicker warm-up of catalyst, resulting in cleaner emissions. Could this be a cause for the supposed problem, or does it debunk the myth?? I dunno. but the VVEL system is very cool check out the Nissan document: VVEL for Dummies
Old 04-28-2008, 12:41 AM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AZg37
guys, I'm no mechanic, I'm going strictly off of common sense here. The mechanic said that HFC's cause gunk to go back up inside the exhaust valve and cause oil consumption? HFC's dramatically increase the exhaust flow, ie. the gasses are leaving at a higher rate. Why/how in the world would THIS increase cause gunk to go back up into the valves???? If anything it would fix that problem. Plus I don't understand why anyone would link the problems with the g35 to our 37's.The VQ37HR engine our 37's have comes with Nissans VVEL system, which, as Nissan puts it, stabilizes combustion even when engine is cool, rise in exhaust emissions temperature enables quicker warm-up of catalyst, resulting in cleaner emissions. Could this be a cause for the supposed problem, or does it debunk the myth?? I dunno. but the VVEL system is very cool check out the Nissan document: VVEL for Dummies
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner, tell him what he has won Johnny.
You hit the nail right on the head and you don't need to be a mechanic to know this common knowledge. Thank you for backing up my point...

Tony

Quick Reply: HFCs and Oil Consumption: FACT or FICTION