Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Oxygen sensor -after CAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM
GDonald386

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oxygen sensor -after CAT

I’m just in the process of installing the Berk metallic HFC’s on my G37S 6MT, which has turned out to be a little more challenging that initially perceived, in that everything is so tight and requiring a lot of muscle to break free! The area I am looking for input on are the after cat oxygen sensors one of which was so hard to remove that the threads “gauled-up” in the process, so now I am looking for a direct replacement. The one removed had the following numbers on it NTK 0ZA603-N5 and 7J11 above the main number. They are four wire type probes. Looking for input on replacements, which can be either OEM, or other manufacturers on the proviso they are better quality.
Thanks in anticipation of your input.
Regards,
GraemeD
(GDonald386@aol.com)

Last edited by GDonald386; 03-01-2008 at 10:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-03-2008, 11:28 PM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GDonald386
I’m just in the process of installing the Berk metallic HFC’s on my G37S 6MT, which has turned out to be a little more challenging that initially perceived, in that everything is so tight and requiring a lot of muscle to break free! The area I am looking for input on are the after cat oxygen sensors one of which was so hard to remove that the threads “gauled-up” in the process, so now I am looking for a direct replacement. The one removed had the following numbers on it NTK 0ZA603-N5 and 7J11 above the main number. They are four wire type probes. Looking for input on replacements, which can be either OEM, or other manufacturers on the proviso they are better quality.
Thanks in anticipation of your input.
Regards,
GraemeD
(GDonald386@aol.com)
I've been through your same situation plenty of times installing them on the G37's. The problem is that Nissan/Infiniti did not use anti-seize on the threads from the factory and the steel used for the O2 sensor body is softer than the steel that they are threaded into. Hence, when you remove the O2's from your stock cats the threads will gall badly.

But... I've never had to replace a sensor. Take a thread file, a small skinny file, or a M18x1.5 die and clean those threads. Make sure you use anti-seize when reinstalling those sensors. When removing the O2 sensors from our HFC's, you will not run into the same problem, we are using a much higher grade steel (304) than what Nissan is using.

The O2 sensors on the HR motors now use a Ford/Delphi style plug IIRC. The O2 sensors from a 03-06 G35 will NOT work, they use a different plug made by Sumitomo. As of right now you can use a set of 07-up 350Z sensors, they are the same as what you have on your 2008 G37.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:31 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So Do you have to be real carful when taking out the O2 sensors?
Old 03-03-2008, 11:41 PM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Yes, be careful. But as I said, I've ran into this on almost every HR motor (350Z, G35 sedans, G37's), but I've yet to replace the sensors in the cats from FUBAR'ed threads.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 PM
GDonald386

Thumbs up O2 sensors!

First off thanks to the Berk technology chap, thought it was only me! There was no thread anit-seize at all! With both the CAT and 02 sensor being a soft austenitic steel they will gaul big time, which they did. Why people don't use high temperature anti-seize I will never know.Just goes to show the OEM doesn't know and do everyhting right!

In taking them out, just go back and to trying in terms of attempting to unscrew the unit to get some spray lubricant into the threads by whatever means possible. They do come out but it does not look pretty***

"Berks" right in using a thread file but it is still not an exact science when trying to then screw them into these new HFC cats without gauling up those threads up as well. So new sensors it is. So now the next question is where to get them from?
Appreciated,
GraemeD.

Last edited by GDonald386; 03-03-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 PM
BerkTechnology
Banned

Originally Posted by GDonald386
First off thanks to the Berk technology chap, thought it was only me! There was no thread anit-seize at all! With both the CAT and 02 sensor being a soft austenitic steel they will gaul big time, which they did. Why people don't use high temperature anti-seize I will never know.Just goes to show the OEM doesn't know and do everyhting right!

In taking them out, just go back and to trying in terms of attempting to unscrew the unit to get some spray lubricant into the threads by whatever means possible. They do come out but it does not look pretty***

"Berks" right in using a thread file but it is still not an exact science when trying to then screw them into these new HFC cats without gauling up those threads up as well. So new sensors it is. So now the next question is where to get them from?
Appreciated,
GraemeD.
Any Nissan or Infiniti dealer. Or, have your local autoparts store order them for you. There are a number of aftermarket replacements, but just make sure you are getting an OEM replacement, not a "universal but it fits" replacement. You just don't want to be splicing wires or re-pinning connectors down there. Most of the 4 wire heated sensors are all the same, just the connectors are different.

Your local auto parts store should also have an M18x1.5 die as a loaner tool as well. Might as well give that a try before shelling out $250 for new sensors. Like I said, I've never had to replace those sensors before.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
kaos2774
Registered Member

I had the same problem http://www.gtmotorsports.com/search....=search&page=1 79.00$ bosch Oxygen sensor
Old 03-04-2008, 10:54 PM
peterbanks

Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
Oh Yeah. Also of note, the top bolt on the drivers side is directly behind the steering column shaft. You have to use a short socket on this bolt, and it is safer to break this one free manually.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maybe it would be a good idea to Post the part numbers that we would need if we mess one up?
How bout that? Seems like a good precautionary thing to do...

I guess the Auto Parts store part numbers one seeing how most of us dont want to pay Dealership prices...

ANYONE? BERK?
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 AM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
good to know.