Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Cobb tuning intake test

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 03:17 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe injen has an answer for us. maybe not.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:02 AM
peterbanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Brand "F" is obviously Fujta. Am I nuts or is brand "N" a Nismo intake? Looks like it to me but I'm viewing a small photo on my iPhone.
I thought the same thing, but from everyone I've spoken to previously the NISMO intake doesn't fit on our cars. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM
maxipad96

I've got the Stillen intake. While in theory with the air shields it should work I'm not so sure. If we are judging 100% sound, then this thing makes major HP.

However I think on very cold days like it has been here for a week, I am sure it is working and giving added HP. The first day I installed the intake, it was moderately warm apx 60 degrees F. I bolted it on (PAIN IN THE ***) and took it out for a spin. Roads were a little wet so couldn't really test it. I noticed the sound and love the sound but didn't really notice any power gain. Got back to my house, opened the hood to double check fitment. I touched the metal pipe and WOW that thing was on fire. I couldn't believe how hot the intake had gotten on a short drive. I then touched the plastic on the Engine cover, the plastic was moderately warm but certainly not HOT.

By that evaluation I have to say the thing is sucking in hot air regardless if it has the air boxes or not.

Now, scenario number 2. It has been cold here. And I mean COLD for ATL. Sub 30 degrees F. I did a test run that was about 30 minutes. Car felt great, could feel the power without a doubt. I then got home, popped the hood and checked the metal pipe again. Cool/Warm to touch. So I assume the colder temperatures were keeping it cool and adding the perceived power.

Dunno if this is a help to anyone. I'll keep the intake because I like the sound and like the fact that the filters are in a "cool" box so in theory it should make HP. If something else comes out I may switch but for now the stillen is good enough.

Last edited by maxipad96; 02-28-2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NemesisG37
Like i said, wasnt my G37....If you'd like, go ahead and purchase the Stillen intakes and test for yourself...You wont be happy.
I know what you said I can read. Alot of people and shops make claims and cant back them up... Im not saying either or...
If he is your friend I thought he may send you the graphs... Invite your friend to our forums... maybe he can shed some personal opinions and help out alot of inquiring minds here....
Old 02-28-2008, 11:48 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

I think cold air in any intake would produce more HP.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:01 PM
akochman

^^ anyone here have any ideas of when a company will start producing CAIs for the g37?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:37 PM
YngPhllyKd

What i dont understand is.....if all these intakes are losing power (including stillen & fujita which seem to be the most 2 that are selling) then why do so many Z's and G's have them?! Im confused!!
Old 02-28-2008, 01:52 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
I think cold air in any intake would produce more HP.
Not so sure about that either. The Injen CAI for G35 lost power why would it be different on a 37?
Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 PM
chilibowl

Received 82 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxToTheG37
I at least like the way the Cobb intakes look!!
HAHAHA, how you like THOSE apples? I thought intakes made power?

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...7&postcount=29

https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=30

Edit: watch what you say...

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 02-28-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:09 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

intakes in general do... I said that if Injen said they were making 14 then I expected it not to be that much... I said around 8... Companies tend to exagerate there gains

My VQ35 had many dynos that showed an intake making power...

As you can See I said agree to disagree... End it bub...its done
You can see below...
Yes there are about 3 threads with the same info... Its a very practiced response that injen tell us. 14 and 14 and ready at the end of Feb first on March...
Although I have not heard anything about 350. Ill be happy if thats the case! I was worried it would be 5 bills.
I am skeptical...but hopeful at the same time!
Its goin to give more than 3-5 easy. A logical estimate would be 8-9 hp.
^ are you serious? so your saying a 50% loss to the wheels? no way...
20% at most...
10hp at the crank would be 8hp at the wheels....
No I dont believe you. OH wait... do you have one of those 1 intake VQs? Ah i see why you say that...

Oh and by the way... I have owned a VQ since 02 ... My intake gains were 3rd party dyno proven! but again that was on those lil ole VQ35s...
Guess we will just have to wait and see ... if there were no gains... I dont see why people would **** money away... I certainly would NOT!...

I know Im about sick of the waiting tho!
Ill believe My dyno.... Intakes do make power... your stupid to think they dont... I agree to disagree so be done with it man...

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 02-28-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:33 PM
chilibowl

Oh so now your switching up words huh? Did you vote for John Kerry last election? Yes, intakes do make power, but not on VQ35DE's, not on VQ35HR's, not on VQ37VHR's. Companies always exaggerate their gains, cuz they know ignorant people like you will fall for their marketing gimmics and you still will buy their product. Regardless of the fact, go on and waste your money on these silly airboxes thinking theyre going to add power. I'll end it here, but im simply coming at you since you stated " I must be stupid " for not believing intakes make power. Who's stupid now?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:38 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

Originally Posted by chilibowl
Oh so now your switching up words huh? Did you vote for John Kerry last election? Yes, intakes do make power, but not on VQ35DE's, not on VQ35HR's, not on VQ37VHR's. Companies always exaggerate their gains, cuz they know ignorant people like you will fall for their marketing gimmics and you still will buy their product. Regardless of the fact, go on and waste your money on these silly airboxes thinking theyre going to add power. I'll end it here, but im simply coming at you since you stated " I must be stupid " for not believing intakes make power. Who's stupid now?
I do admit I thought it would make some power... the injen isn't out yet so my hope is still there... I had a 3rd party dyno proven intake on my maxima... it was a VQ35DE...

And with ECU reflash there is still hope...for our motors...
But like I said...its not 100% over ... yet...
The wait continues....
Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM
chilibowl

I do admit I thought it would make some power... the injen isn't out yet so my hope is still there... I had a 3rd party dyno proven intake on my maxima... it was a VQ35DE...

And with ECU reflash there is still hope...for our motors...
But like I said...its not 100% over ... yet...
The wait continues....
Yes....the wait to spend $350-$400 on a hopeful 4-7HP.

LAWLZ.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:45 PM
MaxToTheG37
Super Moderator w/ Boost

I agree...

The money isnt that big of a deal ...

Last edited by MaxToTheG37; 02-28-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 PM
delusionalv

or we can just wait and supercharge or TT the 37's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys are complaining about cold air, how about you get a carbon fiber hood with scoops that send air to the intakes ? Kind of like an airway specially directed to it the intake.... Or just roll around with some mfkn ICE LOL

Quick Reply: Cobb tuning intake test