Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Stillen Intake (Long & Short)- Photos

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
quart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stillen Intake (Long & Short)- Photos

I recently purchased a Stillen short intake for my Journey w/ Sport. Shortly after I installed it, Stillen released the long-intake version. I was able to buy the parts by themselves to upgrade the short kit to the long. Below are a few photos of each.
The short kit I noticed the different in OEM and the aftermarket intake immediately. The sound and even a slight low end kick that wasn't there before were evident. However, going from the short to the long was less dramatic. Although during my first drive with the long intake, I was listening more to the roofing nail that is now in my front tire, than I was the intake..... The short tube took about 50 miles or so, plus two ECU resets to really get me to notice, so far I only have 14 miles on the new tubes.

Short kit

Long Kit

Short

Long

Plastic head

Two complaints about the long-tube upgrade pack I got. The kit doesn't come with any hose clamps, I guess they expect you to reuse the old ones. The clamps for the main (large diameter tube works fine, however the small diameter parts are smaller diameter than the OEM parts, thus facilitated either no-clamp, or a trip to the parts store.

Also, being that I am trying to keep a factory appearence, I am not a big fan of the polished aluminum on the long tubes. I am contemplating sanding and spraying black, although I do see that Stillen makes their z-tube for the G35 and am hoping they go that route for the G37 down the road, for those of us that want to sound and performance boost, but don't want the aftermarket appearence. The Z-tube looks just like the OEM tubing, but without the sound baffle chamber.

Last edited by quart; 02-07-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
BigJohnson

Personally I like the stainless look. There is still a chrome/stainless theme under the hood anyway so I find it matches well. Nice pics btw!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 PM
madmikeg37
Banned

stillen kit

Originally Posted by quart
I recently purchased a Stillen short intake for my Journey w/ Sport. Shortly after I installed it, Stillen released the long-intake version. I was able to buy the parts by themselves to upgrade the short kit to the long. Below are a few photos of each.
The short kit I noticed the different in OEM and the aftermarket intake immediately. The sound and even a slight low end kick that wasn't there before were evident. However, going from the short to the long was less dramatic. Although during my first drive with the long intake, I was listening more to the roofing nail that is now in my front tire, than I was the intake..... The short tube took about 50 miles or so, plus two ECU resets to really get me to notice, so far I only have 14 miles on the new tubes.

Short kit

Long Kit

Short

Long

Plastic head

Two complaints about the long-tube upgrade pack I got. The kit doesn't come with any hose clamps, I guess they expect you to reuse the old ones. The clamps for the main (large diameter tube works fine, however the small diameter parts are smaller diameter than the OEM parts, thus facilitated either no-clamp, or a trip to the parts store.

Also, being that I am trying to keep a factory appearence, I am not a big fan of the polished aluminum on the long tubes. I am contemplating sanding and spraying black, although I do see that Stillen makes their z-tube for the G35 and am hoping they go that route for the G37 down the road, for those of us that want to sound and performance boost, but don't want the aftermarket appearence. The Z-tube looks just like the OEM tubing, but without the sound baffle chamber.
Can you tell me if the short kit or long kit is better.

I have the short kit, & stillen was pussing long kit.

They have offered me a swap (short tube for long tube)

Is it worth the difference?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
maxipad96

Upload a video clip with sound! What are your initial impressions with the stillen kit overall? Is the sound difference good? How about power? How much extra was the upgrade kit? Thanks a ton!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:48 PM
leeI35G35

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Please do not reply to the OP's original post or, cut out the pics.

Anyway, nice. I find it kind of strange that you said they perform different. The difference from the stillen boxes to throttle body are the same. Just you replaced the plastic hard tubing with stainless tubbing. The power should be the same unless heat soaks through the stainless more than the plastic.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:36 PM
maxipad96

I believe the intake pipe has a small air muffler on the bottom of it. Can't completely remember. Also, don't the ribbings in the plastic pipe cause rougher air flow and sound deadening? Not sure.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 PM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by maxipad96
Upload a video clip with sound! What are your initial impressions with the stillen kit overall? Is the sound difference good? How about power? How much extra was the upgrade kit? Thanks a ton!
+++1
Old 02-08-2008, 02:41 AM
ChOy BoY

yea i was gonna say..which one do u like better?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:08 AM
likwidfuzion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't see how these are any different from Fujita intakes minus the heat shields.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
3des

Did you buy these from Stillen? $500 is unfathomable!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 AM
quart

I would say the difference in the short pip and the long pipe is marginal at best. If anything it sounds a lot less OEM (racier), but it may be my perception. With the short kit, as I mentioned, I really noticed a difference over OEM. Now with the long, I think I am looking for differences, but there really isn't much. Like someone pointed out, other than the "air muffler" on the OE tube and the ribs, the long kit works identically. Stillen claim 6-7 hp with the short kit and 10 hp with the long.....

I haven't driven it hard enough in the two days it has been on to tell any difference. Keep in mind as well, that also, it took me two ECU resets to actually feel the difference (and hear) between the OEM setup and the short kit, so the jury is still out.

For the guy who ask whether he should upgrade to the long, if you are paying the difference at retail, I would'nt. As for me, I bought my short kit off someone who bought it from Stillen and didn't use it for $275, then bought the upgrade from stillen for $144. I did pay a bit more for the kit altogether over what you can get a Fuji. one, or similar for. But I liked the OE looking heat shield that ressembles the OE air box and it was worth it for the OE/ Stealth look I am going for.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:58 PM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I got the Same upgrade from Stillen for my G Sedan. And yea, the Tubes do not come with any Clamps, or Instalation Instructions. you can do it without Instructions, But I had to trim a liitle Bit off the Breather Hose on the Drivers Side, as It would not Fit the New Tubes without doing this. So Some Minor Fab work is Required, at least on mine anyway. And I will be buying better clamps, as Using the Stock ones, leaves a long trail of Metal unused, since you gotta screw the clamps down so much, there's alot of Excess sticking out, which looks ugly! Wish they could of at least provided new proper fitting Clamps for the Prices they charge! But oh well, like the Look of the Stainless Pipes, and gives a few more HP's over the Short ones.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 AM
shiro_skyline

where did u put your fuse box?
Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 AM
quart

As in the directions from Stillen I attached it under where the intake cover is... My kit didn't come with the velcro straps so I used zip ties instead. When you in there it is pretty evident where to mount the fuse box... it wasn't hard.