Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Fast Intentions Sound Clips

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:21 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I always wondered what the purpose of the blue is on Ti tips.

Is it possible to have a Ti exhaust without the blue?

Originally Posted by UNV-IT46
No that blue tint is on Titanium exhaust. Or exhaust with Ti tips riveted on. a stanless or alum exhaust will not have that

Last edited by terrycs; 01-22-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no that was me driving.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
UNV-IT46

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I always wondered what the purpose of the blue is on Ti tips.

Is it possible to have a Ti exhaust without the blue?
the pupose of the blue is just for a look. When you super heat Ti it changes all different colors depending on the temp you heat the metal too. It serves no performance purposes but in my opinion it looks bad ***. Lower end exhaust that are not full Ti but have riveted Ti tips are always going to be blue. the only reason for riviting on Ti tips is again for the looks. Many of the top model full Ti exhaust come with the option of getting burnt Ti or not. For instance Amuse can be had with no burnt look just pure Ti, burnt tip's, full burnt tips, full burnt can, or full burnt exhaust. hope this helps
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

The full stainless polished is sick b/c it gets a slight gold tint after its heated. May heat my whole exhaust cans and tips so it all looks gold
Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM
vinnys coupe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drive bys didnt work for me..

am i the only one??... stand still sounded nicee
Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 PM
UNV-IT46

Originally Posted by solopresident
The full stainless polished is sick b/c it gets a slight gold tint after its heated. May heat my whole exhaust cans and tips so it all looks gold
I wouldnt recommend doing this. The gold color your talking about is the metal oxidizing. Its not going to stay a nice pretty gold. Its going to start to look like its a burnt nasty gold. thats why you dont see SS systems with burnt tips. In order to get that nice gold burnt look on the tips they rivit Ti tips on. Ti can be burnt blue, purple, gold depending on the amount of heat applied to the ti. perfect example is the gold on my ARC Ti ****. It will always be that nice gold on the lower portion because I cant get the **** that hot without using a torch. SS will change over time. So while you may be happy with the results you acheived at first by heating your ss tips with time its going to change and not look nice.
Attached Thumbnails Fast Intentions Sound Clips-cimg0981.jpg  
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 PM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by solopresident
Dont do that. You will not achieve the look you are going for. You will make a mess of your exhaust system. The way to achieve the blue, purplish burnt look it to acid dip the component and electric shock it. We are working on getting that done to some of our own tips but it is hard to find someone local who does this...

Tony
Old 01-22-2008, 09:29 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by terrycs
First, the components (mufflers and tips) are the same with all three choices, so the difference is in the tubing used.

I don't think aluminized is necessarily "bad". Keep in mind almost all production exhausts (like the stock one) are steel and do not use any coating. Aluminized steel is still steel with a coating. I guess if you manage to remove the coating, the steel substrate is exposed and can possibly oxidize. But if you manage to do that much damage to the bottom of the car, you have other things to worry about because most of the exaust is really tucked up tight under the car. You can see pictures of their exhaust using aluminized tubing on here:

http://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195719

Stainless steel has the advantage of little or no chance of oxidation, of course depending on the alloy used. Stainless steel alloys with lower iron content will oxidize less. Even if you damage the tubing, there is less change of rust. Personally, I would go this route if you plan to keep the car for a long time and/or you live in snow country.

Finally, the polished SS is obviously SS, but with a polished finish for aesthetics (if you wanna show off the bottom of your car?).

One detail that I would ask is what is the thickness of aluminized steel tubing vs. the SS tubing used. IIRC, the aluminized tubing is slightly thicker (FI will have to verify this). The thicker tubing will provide for a quieter exhaust. IMO, I would neglect the minor weight difference unless every pound counts, but remember this is a street car.
i wrote one sentence and you wrote a whole essay. thanks for the information. im still on the fence on the tanabe and the fast intentions. hopefully if i do get the fast intention, i do it before 25 people get theirs. probably have no chance of getting it..

Last edited by GiGGaplease; 01-22-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

You can always buy it now and decide later. Then sell the one you don't want to keep.

Originally Posted by GiGGaplease
i wrote one sentence and you wrote a whole essay. thanks for the information. im still on the fence on the tanabe and the fast intentions. hopefully if i do get the fast intention, i do it before 25 people get theirs. probably have no chance of getting it..
Old 01-23-2008, 02:18 AM
bboysteele
Premier Member

Sorry for the ignorance but what is the difference between the three options? Is there a weight difference? Does the top end system have less weight? I know a lot of people get titanium exhaust because they weight less therefore helps to increase the performance of the car. I wouldn't imagine there being a HP/TQ difference between the exhaust so just want to know why someone would get the top end system over the mid or lower end one.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 AM
solopresident
Premier Member

I think its mainly for looks? the stainless steel although may weigh a hair less. I ll let FI answer this one though. you can always call them and ask to,

www.fastintentions.com or www.thmmotorsports.com tony or eddie can break it down to u.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:42 PM
FastIntentions
MYG37.COM Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
The group buy will be up today!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:47 PM
PainProphet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bboysteele
Sorry for the ignorance but what is the difference between the three options? Is there a weight difference? Does the top end system have less weight? I know a lot of people get titanium exhaust because they weight less therefore helps to increase the performance of the car. I wouldn't imagine there being a HP/TQ difference between the exhaust so just want to know why someone would get the top end system over the mid or lower end one.
I may have overlooked it, but I've looked through all three threads and on their site when they first posted it and they don't mention any weight differences... Either they overlooked it when I asked earlier or they don't won't to divulge that information.... Starting to not care, but:

Soooooooo, what's the difference in weight for the FI cat back exhaust system and the stock cat back exhaust system?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:27 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

^^lol. I don't think it will be to much difference. Im sure its not heavier but not sure if its lighter.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
terrycs
Registered Member

On our street cars, the weight variation between stock, aluminized and stainless steel is insignificant. You get more weight swings between a full tank of gas and an empty tank!

Also just confirmed today, the aluminized steel tubing they use is 14 ga and the SS tubing they use is 16 ga. That means the alunminized tubing is a little thicker so it should theoretically be a little quieter.

Quick Reply: Fast Intentions Sound Clips