General Tech Questions Scheduled maintenance, Tune-ups Oil changes, service bulletins and other FAQs for the G37

B2604 Neutral Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 08:47 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
B2604 Neutral Safety Switch

2014 Q60x Automatic
has anyone done a write-up on how to replace the Neutral Safety Switch?

I'm highly mechanically inclined and like to see a write-up or video on the process.

I've searched YouTube and here on this forum, but I'm not finding anything G37/Q60 specific.

Thanks in advance for any productive assistance.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:59 AM
socketz67
Super Moderator

Received 273 Likes on 228 Posts
I checked the 370Z forum as well (same basic car as the G) and didn’t see any specific instructions on replacement of this switch, just folks referring the poster to the FSM. It doesn’t appear to be a common failure. Where exactly is it located on an automatic transmission vehicle? Likely easy to replace once you locate and disassemble the area around it. If I were to guess, I bet it’s accessible via the center console.
Old 10-05-2023, 10:29 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Originally Posted by socketz67
Where exactly is it located on an automatic transmission vehicle? Likely easy to replace once you locate and disassemble the area around it..
That's just it.... not sure if it's on the transmission case or nexted to the shifter inside the console???

I just don't want to jack the car up and put it on jack stands when it located in the console (or vice-versa).
Old 10-05-2023, 10:45 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 1,069 Posts
Besides the B2604, are there any other codes pending and/ or what symptoms are presenting?

On the 7AT, the PNP is integrated into the TCM and is triggered via control rod position. Aside from checking wiring connections and continuity there does not appear to be a real viable solution short of TCM replacement.

Further, the electronics on the shifter are known to get dirty often resulting in the infamous "Shift to Park" message. This thread will show you the internals of said electronics. It might not hurt just give them a look over/ quick clean. I'd also check the control rod that links the shifter to the transmission. Make sure that the rod is secure/ not damaged (the rubber grommet is known to deteriorate). It might be as simple as adjusting the control rod.

Just throwing out ideas....
The following users liked this post:
The Pope (10-06-2023)
Old 10-06-2023, 09:24 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

No other codes that I can remember, but when Not In Park the Key Missing symbol is showing up on the instrument cluster. Also the Cruse Control will not engage. Cruse Light is displayed but will not lock in at a speed setting.

I'm going to open up the console and see if any of the issues you mentioned have happened. I'll report back my findings.

Last edited by The Pope; 10-06-2023 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling....
Old 11-06-2023, 07:40 PM
Ones
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same Problem On G37

Hey man,

Just wondering if you ever got this resolved. I replaced my shifter and it still happens intermittently (specifically after a car wash). Any solution?
Old 11-09-2023, 10:04 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

I haven't been able to resolve the issue.

I pulled / cleaned / reinstalled both modules on the shifter
I did this one at the time and tested again afterwards. Still didn't resolve the issue.

I acquired a used shifter assembly from Ebay which had both modules. Cleaned each of them and installed one of them, it didn'tresolvetheissue, installed the other one and it also didn't resolve the issue. Reinstalled the original first module that I had swapped out just to test all possible combinations. I also inspected all of the connectors and harness within the console and didn't find anything broken, pinched or damaged in any way.

My Q60x is not my main vehicle and I did clear and reset the ECU before each test. I might just need to drive it more to see if any different codes show up.

I don't currently have a wiring diagram, but if I can get one, my next step would be to trace the wiring and signals to see if there's a problem with a connector or fuse somewhere else.
Old 02-01-2024, 03:27 PM
The Pope
Registered Member

In short, yes the replacement module worked. Had to drive it some before it finally cleared the system.

As for the Missing Key symbol, it was being caused by my Bluetooth OBD2 reader. I normally just leave it plugged in, but I took it out and the problem went away.